Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Bergere de France Patterns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eae1969@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 01/20/2006 :  09:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Private Message
Hi All,
There's an ad in the new Winter Vogue Knitting magazine that features a fabulous gray cardigan from Bergere de France. I had never heard of them before, so I went to their website which is only in French (of course). I am in love with their designs! Does anyone know if their patterns are offered with an English translation (like Phildar)? And if so, do you know where I can purchase the patterns? Thanks a bunch!

Happy Knitting!
Ericka

marji-in-tc
Chatty Knitter

180 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  09:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Send marji-in-tc a Yahoo! Message Send marji-in-tc a Private Message
Patterns are free download right there on their website, however, yup, you got it, they are only in French. Be careful though, before you take the time to translate. There is a little icon right on the top of their patterns when you look at the PDF file, that tells you if the pattern is written for machine knitting or handknitting.
I'm planning on translating one of the cabled cardis and knitting it later this year, pics are on my blog entry from a few days ago.

Marji,
whose stash surely exceeds life expectancy
my blog: http://fiberartsafloat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

eae1969@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 01/20/2006 :  10:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Private Message
Thanks for the info Marji! I found the section with the free patterns, but unfortunately the zipper cardi that I want isn't available--probably because it's a brand new pattern. By the way, it's the one on the cover of the 2005/2006 catalog. I did download some of the free patterns though, as well as the French/English translation sheet. So, hopefully that will help whenever I decide to knit from their patterns.

P.S. Marji--nice blog! I'm still working on creating my blog.

Happy Knitting!
Ericka
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  4:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
There was a company in the UK that was starting to stock BdF yarns, and presumably the patterns. It was in a recent Knitting mag, I will see if I can find the reference.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.
Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  11:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Hi,

A while back I came across a free BdF pattern and wanted to purchase their yarn. The only source that I could find in North America was Club Direct Laine in Canada (www.clubdirectlaine.ca). In order to get the yarn, I paid a small club fee to get a catalog with yarn samples and an order form. After getting the yarn catalog, I place an order via the mail. Since the order was over $30 dollars they sent me a pattern book with all the patterns from that year's yarn catalog along with my order. Now every year they send me the yarn catalog and sale brochures every few months.

Everything that I've gotten from them is in French including the order form, however their latest sale brochure mentions that some pattern books are now available in English and that you can call them at 1-800-361-0090 for more information. Looks like their website is still under construction.

The sweater in the Vogue ad is from their 2005/2006 catalog which is $15.00 (CAD). If you buy $30 worth of yarn then the catalog is free. Plus they'll charge a membership fee.

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  9:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
Marji, maybe I am missing it, but what does the machine knit symbol look like?

Kris
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  9:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
Marji, maybe I am missing it, but what does the machine knit symbol look like?

Kris
Go to Top of Page

marji-in-tc
Chatty Knitter

180 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Send marji-in-tc a Yahoo! Message Send marji-in-tc a Private Message
if you go to this page
http://www.bergeredefrance.fr/document/upload/tricotheque/bloc/163868.pdf
there is the pattern number, two stars, then the symbol that indicates it is machine knit
This page (which is the one that I want to translate and knit)
http://www.bergeredefrance.fr/document/upload/tricotheque/bloc/84654.pdf doesn't have that machine icon, and I've glanced at it and understand enough french, to be able to tell that it is for handknitting.

looks like their website is finally displaying yarns. Cucumber Patch in UK stocks their yarns, and I've used her website to determine yardages for substitution.
Thanks Melinda for the Canadian source.

Marji,
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  10:31:56 AM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eae1969@yahoo.com

I did download some of the free patterns though, as well as the French/English translation sheet. So, hopefully that will help whenever I decide to knit from their patterns.

Ericka, Where did you find the french/English traslation sheet? I've downloaded a bunch of patterns that I plan to translate. Someday.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

marji-in-tc
Chatty Knitter

180 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  10:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Send marji-in-tc a Yahoo! Message Send marji-in-tc a Private Message
http://www.angelyarns.com/bergere/designer-knits.php
this site sells the book, and has pics of the other projects in the book.

Marji,
Go to Top of Page

rogueknitter
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  1:11:12 PM  Show Profile Send rogueknitter a Private Message
If you go to this page and click on French/English Knitting Glossary this should give you a translation sheet.
http://www.bergeredefrance.fr/faq/faq_reponse.phtml?id_faq=30
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  4:54:18 PM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message
Thanks rogueknitter, I've been looking for a translation sheet like that for a while. Now I wish that all the patterns I like best from that site were not for machine knitting. :(

Clara
Go to Top of Page

eae1969@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 01/24/2006 :  08:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Private Message
Hi Everyone..sorry I've been away for a couple days. But thanks for all of the helpful info! I plan to order the book (and a few other items) from angelyarns. I'm such a pushover for everything to do with knitting.

Happy Knitting!
Ericka
Go to Top of Page

imamshua
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:19:38 AM  Show Profile Send imamshua a Private Message
I was looking through some of my old magazines last night and noticed a sweater in a Vogue that indicated the yarn was Bergere de France/Skacel. I wonder if Skacel is the US Distributor for this yarn and if so, they might have the patterns already translated. It would be worth checking with them.

Sally

If you think you're too small to be effective you have never been in bed with a mosquito - Bette Reese
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  1:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I emailed Bergere de France to ask if their patterns are available in the US or Canada, and I quickly received a reply. Their Canadian distributor is:

DIRECT LAINE INC
100 BD MARIE VICTORIN
J4B 1V6 BOUCHERVILLE QUEBEC

They did not provide any information on availability in the US, and I think I've exhausted my abilities in French.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  1:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I emailed Bergere de France to ask if their patterns are available in the US or Canada, and I quickly received a reply. Their Canadian distributor is:

DIRECT LAINE INC
100 BD MARIE VICTORIN
J4B 1V6 BOUCHERVILLE QUEBEC

They did not provide any information on availability in the US, and I think I've exhausted my abilities in French.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  6:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Direct Laine Inc is www.clubdirectlaine.ca.

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by