Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Wool Ease...Love it or Hate?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  11:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
I just saw Lion Brand Wool Ease @ Joann Fabrics for $1.50 a skein (197) yards. I could make a sweater for around $12.

I have never used wool ease...my question(s) to all of you...do you love it or hate it? Would you make (and wear) a sweater with it? HOw does it hold up? Does it pill easily? Is it truly washable?

Thanks in advance
Kim

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! http://kimsknitpage.blogspot.com/

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  2:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Yes, I would make a sweater. I have made sweaters and I will do it again. In fact the last time they had the sale running I got yarn for each member of my family to have a sweater.

It wears well. I use it for kids stuff and it's great. I have used it for socks and it doesn't fare well for those however. They don't pill much and they don't like hot water wash. I wash in cold and then lay flat to dry. Actually I do that with my woolies too.

The only real problem I have with this yarn is the same I have with Paton's shetland chunky. It's the necks. They stretch out depending on the style neck you use. If you knit a really tight fabric you probably won't have a problem. If it's a little r fabric, I would reduce your sitches at the neck to make it smaller to compensate for the stretch.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  2:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
Thanks Amy!
I have two projects in mind...I want to make some sort of aran sweater and I want to make a red sweater (maybe bristow from Knittty) and they happened to have a bunch of red that I liked and a bunch of natural...

I see a trip back to Joann in my near future...

Kim
I have a blog! http://kimsknitpage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:24:06 PM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
I just finished a vest for my oldest (6'3") son with it. I couldn't afford other yarns. I've used it before and it was ok. I also bought more while it was on sale.

Homebody Knits

Visit my Site

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  5:37:48 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I'm in the process of knitting Oat Couture's Autumn Coat out of Wool Ease and since it's washable, that influenced my decision to use it, that and the fact it was on sale. I like it so far, nice to work with, I'd do it again.

M L
Others may ask, "What's in your wallet?" But I ask, "What's on your needles?"
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  6:33:35 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I'm knitting Barbara Walker Learn To Knit Afghan with wool ease and I like it very much for that project.
I'm making my first top down sweater with Encore which I like better for sweaters, but every thing else I can see using wool ease.
I can't see spending alot of money for 100% wool and not be able to wash it or pray that it doesn't felt.

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

carollovesyarn
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  01:46:17 AM  Show Profile Send carollovesyarn a Private Message
I used wool ease to make myself slippersocks and that was last year - they've held up fine. I machine wash, dry on low heat for 5 minutes and then finish by airdrying. It's had a few pills, not bad.

Carol
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  07:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
I have used WoolEase for several sweaters for my daughter - the last was a Harry Potter sweater. I have not had much trouble with pilling or stretching. I like the feel of 100% wool a whole lot better, but I also know that a college student is not going to hand wash a sweater, so WoolEase was the best choice for her.

My blog: www.soonerbeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:58:08 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
After reading the threads here on KR - I have started making something very simple with a yarn I've not used before and then see how I like it.

I just finished a few scarves in the Wool-ease and I have to say that it was a pleasure to work with. And I did handwash each and laid flat to dry and they both looked great. I used the Rose Heather and I would seriously consider making a sweater out of it.

Let us know how your projects come out and please post photos!
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
I made a sweater out of it at a fairly tight gauge that nonetheless pilled and stretched badly - and it just looked old after a few wearings. YMMV, but as Wool of the Andes and Elann's Highland wool are astonishingly cheap, that's where I'd spend my money.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Bloberry
Chatty Knitter

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile Send Bloberry a Private Message
The only thing I've made lately with Wool Ease is a pair of mittens. After several wearings, they do look old and used. I'm sure I could fix that with a sweater shaver. It's "OK", but not the most durable yarn available.

Jan

Come Visit My Blog! - http://bloberry.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  4:53:59 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
I've discovered that the fiber content of wool-ease is not always the same. Different shades may have a different fiber mix. I bought a whole bunch of a white confetti from Smileys (cheap!) and the fiber content is different...less wool, some other fibers thrown in. As a result, it is scratchier and tends to stretch out more easily.
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I tried Wool-Ease very early in my knitting. I did not like it.

I'm not "anti-Lion Brand" but I'm not a fan at all of Wool-Ease.

You may try buying one skein and knitting something small with it just to get an idea of how you really feel about it.

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  5:10:38 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I like working with Woolease. I get good stitch definition, and it wears well. My SIL picked out Woolease for a sweater she wants me to make. It should turn out great. The sweater will cost $10.62 to make. LOL
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  5:32:16 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
What is the fiber content of Wool-Ease? Does it have some acrylic in it?
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  5:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
I've read that the fiber content varies. A skein of worsted weight Forest Green Heather is 80% acrylic, 20% wool.

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  9:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
I knit most of a sweater out of wool ease (haven't gotten the sleeves done partly because I haven't calculated out those pesky sleeve caps). It was fine to work with but when I was wet blocking the sweater it got that very acrylic-y looking halo of fibers around it (I can't quite describe how this halo is different from a mohair of other animal fiber halo.... it just is). I found the acrylic-y halo to be a bit of a turn off but it looks fine when it's dry. I'd use it again if I was knitting just about anything aside from footwear (too sweaty for feet, I think) for my younger sisters. I probably wouldn't use it for an adult.

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  9:23:16 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
Thats why for sweaters for easy wash I like Encore by Plymouth, nice wool feel without worrying about felting.

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

Aseneth
Chatty Knitter

158 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  08:34:21 AM  Show Profile Send Aseneth a Private Message
I have a love-dislike relationship with this yarn (I don't really hate any yarn except for Snowflake!) I have used it and had wonderful results, and other times it pilled and got really stringy after only a few washings. Also, unless you get it on sale the price is no better than the decent quality wools from Knitpicks, or some of the great yarns you can get from Elann.com

So, I say give the Woolease a try, but try some of the others, too!

Has anyone tried the new Lion Cashmere blend yarn? It hasn't shown up in the stores around here yet.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?