Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 "dawn" orlon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

betha
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  5:41:45 PM  Show Profile Send betha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend wants me to make a "simple shrug" from a vintage pattern. It calls for 6 ounces of AMERICAN THREAD "DAWN" ORLON OR ORLON POMPADOUR, which i was guessing would be a fingerling...but the pattern also calls for No. 5 needles, which sounds pretty darn big for a fingerling. No gauge is provided in the pattern

Anyone familiar with this yarn and have any recommendations of what type and how much yarn i need to make this shrug?

many thanks in advance

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  6:56:57 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
according to this it was a fingering yarn put up in 1 oz skeins.
As for what needle size to use, I'd say swatch until you get a fabric you like. With a shrug gauge isn't that crucial....
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  12:50:56 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the yarn knit with two strands? That would account for the gauge. Or is the pattern a lacy one?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  07:01:05 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is misleading because pompadour came in all three weights fingering, sports, and worsted. It was the same yarn as dawn but had a shiny thread twisted around it. Similar yarn is still available. I know lion brand carries it and also Herschner's. Pompadour baby yarn was a little fuller and more fluffy than fingering yarn, you could probably substitute a sports weight and get away with it.
Dawn orlon was acrylic that came in all weights and was extremely soft and tended to be a little shapeless when knit. You could substitute any worsted weight acrylic for it. As for yarn amounts, I suggest you use one of the acrylic yarns that has no lot numbers. That way you can always pick up another skein if needed. You will need almost the same amount of yarn for a shrug as for a sweater as you ony lose a little length in the front and back.

this might be enough:\http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-Orlon-Fingering-yarn-or-Baby-yarn._W0QQitemZ120373423508QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090204?IMSfp=TL090204173005r29475

In the 60's it was probably knit with baby yarn or sports weight.
fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

betha
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  7:06:20 PM  Show Profile Send betha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all!
Sam will be very happy that i got your advice before i took her yarn shopping!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe