Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 help with trigger finger gloves pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blegee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:55:13 PM  Show Profile Send blegee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! I am in the process of making these trigger finger gloves. Going just fine until the FINGER INCREASE. Not sure what the directions are really saying.
http://www.knitting-crochet.com/trifinmit.html

Cab someone please help???

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  5:14:35 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you knit the fingers of gloves, you have the stitches on the back of the hand and also the stitches on the palm of the hand. But, between these two areas you also have stitches that are between the fingers. These are added on as increases, usually at the ends of the palm and back surfaces. Usually, these stitches will not have anything under them until you get to the next finger where you will pick up stitches from these "open" ones in order to form the stitches between the next finger. However, it sounds like you are making a combination of a glove and a mitten with only an index finger and a thumb and the rest of the fingers in a mitten. Is this correct? I suggest that you stop trying to think out this pattern and just follow the directions step by step and allow the pattern to reveal itself. I find any pattern with directions given for something to do on a "third needle" or something like that more difficult to follow.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blegee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  5:28:06 PM  Show Profile Send blegee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your suggestions. I am following the pattern step-by-step, but this is the step that I don't get.

Once this particular increase is achieved, the rest of the pattern is self explanatory. I need help with this step.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  04:51:26 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am assuming that you have already done the increases for the thumb and have those stitches on a stitch holder. Let me suggest that instead of a stitch holder, you place them on a piece of scrap yarn as that is soft and makes it easier to handle for the next step.

quote:
FINGER INCREASE: Knit 1 stitch on needle on the right (already has stitch on it) and leave the extra stitch there.
This step just moves a stitch over out of the way.

This Row consist of 1 knit stitch,unusual way of describing it but ignore it for now. Call this stitch A
knit next row evenly. self explanatory

The extra stitch will be put at the end of the third needle from now on. That is stitch A. Just put it at the end of the third needle and forget about it

Knit the next Row, placing a marker 3 stitches from the end of the 3rd needle.. [red) stitches from the end would be the original last 2 and the extra one, stitch A, that you put there.

In the last 3 stitches, inc. in first 2 stitches, place another marker and knit last stitch.I would increase here by a k f&b, Now at the end of the third needle you have a marker, 4 stitches, a marker, and a stitch.]

Knit next Row evenly..

Knit 1 Row increasing stitches after between markers Knit to 6 stitches, knit last stitch.
Knit up to the markers that have 4 stitches between them. Make 2 increases here. I would just increase in first and fourth stitch, again with a k f&b, slip marker, knit last stitch.

Knit the next Row until you get to the last 3 stitches before first marker, slip these 3 stitch, marker, 6 stitches, and last stitch and first 2 stitches of next needle all onto a stitch holder.
Stop knitting 3 stitches before the marker and put these 3 stitches, the 6 between the marker and the last stitch on a holder, also the first 2 stitches on the next needle. Again I suggest a piece of scrap yarn. Now you have 2 pieces of scrap yarn holding stitches, one for the thumb and one for the finger.

Total of 12 stitches, cast on 2 stitches to replace those used for finger increase.12 stitches on yarn stitch holder. Now cast on 2 to replace the original 2 you used to make finger stitches. These 2 cast on stitches should close the gap and make your mitten stitches in a circle again.

Knit all rows evenly over 36 stitches until about 5 inches from cast on stitches of thumb holder.

Ignore stitches on holders and knit on rest of mitten. You will finish thumb and finger later.[/red]

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blegee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  05:46:59 AM  Show Profile Send blegee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, Fran. I really appreciate the time that you spent helping me! Have a great holiday season!

Barbara
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?