LL Bean hat with LED lights

Printed from: Knitter's Review Forums
Topic URL: http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=90346
Printed on: 11/25/2014

Topic:

Topic author: typingN
Subject: LL Bean hat with LED lights
Posted on: 03/08/2008 12:06:47 PM
At Christmas I saw a neat baseball hat at LL Bean with headlights. The children bought it for me for my birthday. I think it will be very useful when we are camping or my DH is driving at night. I can read, knit, give directions.

Replies:

Reply author: elizh
Replied on: 03/08/2008 3:40:40 PM
I have a headband style LED light that I got from Santa I really like it. Mine was from Bass Pro Shop. Superb for knitting in car or any place that is too dark.

Reply author: Sara Sue
Replied on: 03/08/2008 3:54:36 PM
Mine is a headband style also. Very small. Light is adjustable as to tilt. The headband is elastic. I got it at Bass Pro Shop for $9.99. I use it when we travel and I sit up at night to knit without disturbing my husband with the light.

Don't worry about the world ending today - it's already tomorrow in Australia. (Unk.)

Reply author: knittingrunner
Replied on: 03/08/2008 4:46:36 PM
Gee...I use my LED headlamp for running in the dark. Never dreamed to use it for knitting!
Fellow runners joke that I'm a miner...I blind them when speaking to them because I'm short and have to look up to see most of their faces.

Running with knitting needles!

Reply author: NaProus
Replied on: 03/08/2008 5:01:24 PM
I should get one of these. We're having a power outage right now (currently operating on the generator!), and knitting is a bit tricky by candlelight...

Knitting Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16503167@N08/

Reply author: lizknit
Replied on: 03/08/2008 9:11:37 PM
I have several of the headband lights because I keep on misplacing them. They're great for knitting or reading or for emergency lights during power failures.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'

Reply author: knittingrunner
Replied on: 03/10/2008 1:04:44 PM
They are great for searching in knee walls and dim corners of the attic too!

Reply author: hillstreetmama
Replied on: 03/10/2008 3:18:35 PM
Did you see the LL Bean Christmas commercial with the kids wearing those and waiting for Santa? They all fell asleep, and the beams of light made interesting patterns in the air. Never thought of one for knitting. It's been a long time since we've had a power outage, but it sure would work for that if you needed it.

Jan

Reply author: Shelia
Replied on: 03/11/2008 06:28:20 AM
Another option that can be used easily for knitting in the dark, or in dim places, is an Ear Light. It fits over one ear, like a bluetooth headset, and has a positionable LED beam. One of the advantages is that it is smaller and more directed than a larger light, but the beam is pretty bright if someone looks directly at it. They're easily and inexpensively found on line, or on eBay.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits

Reply author: CarlaNahas
Replied on: 05/14/2012 6:27:30 PM
Christmas commercial with the kids wearing those and
www.ledstrips8.com waiting for Santa? They all fell asleep, and the beams of light made interesting patterns in the air. Never thought of one for knitting. It's been a long time since we've had a power outage, but it sure would work for that if you needed it.
[hr=http://www.ledstrips8.com/]led strip[/hr]

Reply author: sarah montie
Replied on: 05/17/2012 04:43:34 AM
I used my light when I was in the Domican Republic with the Village Mountain Mission Project. We slept outside in hammocks (quite an experience) and we only had one propane light. Without my own light I wouldn't have been able to knit at night. I discovered if I went to bed with the sun, I woke up around 2 in the morning having had my 6 hours of sleep.

Reply author: crc532
Replied on: 05/17/2012 04:51:32 AM
Not sure if we have the LLBean light, but we have many. I use it to knit in the dark when we are traveling. I keep it in my husband's car because that is when he is driving and I am ALWAYS knitting. It really helps, but make sure you don't turn your head toward your husband. It can be blinding. My husband also uses them for walks on the beach at night. A very useful gadget.

crc

Reply author: sviter
Replied on: 05/17/2012 04:58:08 AM
i learned during the ice storm of the northeast a few years ago that every self-respecting knitter needs a head lamp. i had to travel far and wide at that time to find one. although it's a head-strap variety, i wear it around my neck more comfortably than on the head. wouldn't be without it.

Reply author: LJ
Replied on: 05/17/2012 05:20:47 AM
I bought one, and several other flashlight type things, at the hardware store last year when a hurricane was coming in. At checkout the gal was commented that the head lamp was a good idea to have hands free to clean up afterwards. I think she was surprised when I responded...I guess. I'm going to use it so I can knit.

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:

Reply author: art wares
Replied on: 05/17/2012 05:43:47 AM
I use my headlight to knit when the lights go out at home. A couple winters ago we lost power for a few days during a huge snow/ice storm, and I was able to knit every evening with the headlight.
My first one eventually broke (had bought from LL Bean catalog about 20 years ago for camping trip--used for knitting in my tent at night). So, I bought my second one from Home Depot in the flashlight section for about $9.99. Great deal. Every knitter needs one of these.
Also, they are great at the beach at night. No flashlight to worry with. Hands free.

Reply author: grammy1124
Replied on: 05/17/2012 06:53:07 AM
I like the Twist A Lite, which is a thin, lightweight, bendable "stick" with an LED light on each end. You can bend and point each light beam where you want it and you can turn them off and on individually. There are a couple versions on amazon, but here is a link to one of them. I gave them to my kids and grandsons as well and they love them. Very inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Tools-PI-422-Twist-Lite/dp/B003OXWYJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337262019&sr=8-1

Reply author: grammy1124
Replied on: 05/17/2012 06:54:22 AM
Meant to also say you bend it and wear it around your neck.

Reply author: bluesbee
Replied on: 05/17/2012 07:23:02 AM
I often hang my headlamp around my neck when knitting and watching movies. That way, my knitting is illuminated, but I don't blind my husband when I turn--and I don't have the weight of the lamp on my forehead.

Reply author: istuke
Replied on: 05/17/2012 07:42:01 AM
I've used a few headlamps and a ball cap with LED lights, but my favorite light is one I found in a 2-pack at Costco a few years ago. It's a HugLight by MyLight: http://www.mylight.com/huglight-4-led-p-219.html
It's probably also available on Amazon.

It's flexible, goes around my neck, and aims better at my work than a ball cap which seems to aim above my work (and it doesn't mess up my hair!). It's also pose-able (wrap it around something or create a tiny table lamp, etc.), and has various light settings. In the car, I can better direct it so that it doesn't bother the driver and it doesn't shine in his eyes when I turn my head to talk to him!

Gosh, I almost sounded like a commercial there. I love it that much!

Reply author: BooksAngel
Replied on: 05/17/2012 07:46:23 AM
I also use one of the flexible tube shaped ones that is called a "HugLight." Another use for it is in hotel rooms that are now using the new dimmer bulbs. With the tube around my neck I can knit with no problem.

That was the reason I bought it to begin with. Then I used it when the neighborhood lost power. Now one is always in the botton of my knitting bag just in case. Great for more light when fixing a stitch problem too.

Angel

Reply author: Sloknitr
Replied on: 05/17/2012 3:05:27 PM
I have a headlight that I bought at REI. I use it when working on intricate stitches when the lights are low while the rest of family is watching TV. Haha - hubby has accused me of trying to blind him, on occasion. I contend that it is his fault for asking me questions when I am trying to concentrate. When I look up to answer, he gets it full in the face. BTW, that is a great idea for hotel rooms - I will make sure to put it on my packing list!

Reply author: KrazyKim
Replied on: 05/18/2012 7:52:17 PM
Just don't look up if you don't want to blind an oncoming driver and get in an accident! Those headlamps can be blindingly bright. I prefer one of those lights that hang around your neck and cast light down on your working area. I found some on Amazon.

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA

Reply author: BuffyAnn
Replied on: 05/22/2012 12:23:30 AM
Hi All, I just have to chime in, because better lighting for knitting is my passion!.. In Sept 2011 Clara did a nice review of our Stitch Light, I want to share with you [Stitch Light][/http://www.knittersreview.com/article_newsletter.asp?article=/newsletter/110901_a.htm]

Let me know if you have any questions about the Stitch Light, I believe it's the best quality light out there, and believe me I have given dozens and dozens a test drive. The Stitch Light might not be for everyone which is why we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, no questions asked. ;-)Buffy

Reply author: Shelia
Replied on: 05/22/2012 05:28:46 AM
I have a Stitch Light that I got at Sock Summit (thanks again, Buffy!) and I like it very much. No glaring into people's faces, and the light is positionable right where I want it. It's a great product.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits

Reply author: ladeb
Replied on: 05/23/2012 06:13:14 AM
I pull my headlamp down to my neck when in the car. It is positioned better and then I avoid blinding my driver and oncoming traffic. Love to knit on our drives.

Reply author: mommanet_1@juno.com
Replied on: 06/03/2012 4:18:57 PM
A couple years ago I found a pair of "reading" glasses with little led lights in the corners of the frame. I use them in the car at night. They don't blind anyone and I can "see" enough to knit a simple project.

Reply author: Margie
Replied on: 07/25/2012 6:12:30 PM
Did you go to LL Bean in Freeport?? I did, eons and eons ago when it was much smaller (and I was ... a bit ... younger). Great place.

I like your suggestion. I have an REI not too far from home.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Knitter's Review Forums : http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/

© 2001-2014 Knitter's Review

Close Window