Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 ADDING A POCKET TO A PULLOVER

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ann2Knit Posted - 11/12/2010 : 08:44:56 AM
I am making a top-down sweater and want to add a pocket or maybe two. Any suggestions for a simple way to do that?
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
socks4all Posted - 11/15/2010 : 05:42:42 AM
I'm assuming you do not want patch pockets.

For a horizontal pocket: When you get to where you want the pocket, knit across the pocket location with a piece of scrap yarn same weight but different colour so you can see it later. Slip the scrap yarn sts back to the left needle. Knit across in sweater yarn. (this is the same concept as an "peasant heel".) Continue knitting the sweater for several rows or until you've finished the body. Carefully take out the scrap yarn putting the live sts on 2 needles (all the sts from the top of the scrap yarn on one needle, the sts from the botton on another. From the bottom sts knit your pocket edging and tack it down above the opening. From the top sts knit the pocket lining and tack that down on the inside. Eliabeth Zimmerman does an "after thought" pocket like this but without the scrap yarn,

For a verticle pocket. Determine the location of the top of the pocket. At this point and for the length of the pocket, use a separate ball of yarn for each side of the pocket. Work (you will have to go back & forth if you had been working in the round) until you have the length of pocket you want. Reconnect the two sides. To finish pocket, pick up sts along one edge for the pocket edging and along the other edge for the pocket lining. Tack down the first on the outside and the second on the inside.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe