Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Life expectancy lags in the U.S.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mouse Posted - 01/26/2011 : 5:33:09 PM
This article has a very brief summary of a recent study: http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/26/life-expectancy-lags-in-the-u-s-but-it-may-be-on-the-upswing/

Very relevant to the health care debate.

........................................................................................................................
What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents. RFK
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Keliyarn Posted - 02/24/2011 : 09:26:09 AM
What people have to understand is there is not a "Canadian Health care System" Each province has different medical coverage. Some provinces have more to offer then others due to populaltion. I Know as we lived in BC and Saskatchewan and they were very different in cost and services. Also, its NOT FREE!! In BC we pay $105 a month for a family. Also, prescriptions are not free either! We have a family relative that pays $1500/yr for her daughters prescriptions.
lella Posted - 02/02/2011 : 11:33:57 PM
Thanks for your answer Consuelo. Rantings are fine. I was just astounded by the figure.

Lella

Zippiknits

Want to make Betty Happy? Help buy her some brand new shoes.
mouse Posted - 02/01/2011 : 09:10:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Consuelo

You are right, Mouse. I was a bit off-topic. Please excuse me.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain

I apologize. It was not my intent to chide for being off topic. Conversations naturally evolve from one topic to another.. I should have made my point more clearly. I agree that we spend a lot of resources at the end of life, trying to delay death for a few days or weeks, and we could use those resources much more effectively in preventive care and early diagnosis, to make people's lives healthier and better.

........................................................................................................................
What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents. RFK
Consuelo Posted - 02/01/2011 : 03:00:25 AM
You are right, Mouse. I was a bit off-topic. Please excuse me.

Consuelo
mouse Posted - 01/31/2011 : 9:50:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Consuelo

I dunno... I see 6 or 8 centennarians on the Today show almost every day. How long do we really want to live? Life is SUPPOSED to end at some point. It does for all animals and plants on the planet. We need to get over this mindset of being entitled live forever and with the latest medical advances right up to the time we take our last breath.

We spend $800 BILLION a year on the last month of people's lives. I think that is obscene. For what? An extra four days on the planet? I for one plan to go home to die without any extraordinary measures that extend my life for 25 minutes for a huge cost. It's indecent.

Please excuse the rant but this subject makes my blood boil.

Consuelo

I generally agree with this, and don't intend to authorize extraordinary measures when I'm old, or if I get something terminal before then.

I think that, as a society, we're very afraid of death, and that's a shame.

But I don't think that the extraordinary measures at the end is what this study points to - as you said, those measures change the length of life by days, or at most, weeks.

Consuelo Posted - 01/31/2011 : 9:10:29 PM
The $800 billion is just in the US, other countries don't spend as much in end-of-life care as we do.

Consuelo
lella Posted - 01/31/2011 : 5:52:59 PM
On the other hand taxpayers have paid Lockheed Martin well over $62 billion, for a completely obsolete aircraft, that nobody needs and only the air force wants.

Is that $800 Billion a world wide figure? I'm trying to find it. I agree in principle that we should let people pass away with dignity and when they want to refuse care.

Lella

Zippiknits

kkknitter Posted - 01/31/2011 : 5:40:04 PM
I don't want to have any extraordinary measures to extend my life either, but meanwhile I like to take care of myself and eat food that is good for me. Why sabotage life by excessive eating, drinking and in general launching around doing nothing?

Kristina
Consuelo Posted - 01/31/2011 : 2:26:14 PM
I dunno... I see 6 or 8 centennarians on the Today show almost every day. How long do we really want to live? Life is SUPPOSED to end at some point. It does for all animals and plants on the planet. We need to get over this mindset of being entitled live forever and with the latest medical advances right up to the time we take our last breath.

We spend $800 BILLION a year on the last month of people's lives. I think that is obscene. For what? An extra four days on the planet? I for one plan to go home to die without any extraordinary measures that extend my life for 25 minutes for a huge cost. It's indecent.

Please excuse the rant but this subject makes my blood boil.

Consuelo
Wen Posted - 01/30/2011 : 7:03:10 PM
The biggest loser started here last night with the trainers having to spend a week eating with their families. They are each working a family this time. The food they were eating was horrendous (frankfurts with cream, 1kg (2.2lbs) of steak in one sitting etc). This morning on the radio they were discussing guilty food secrets and a woman rang in saying she drank 4litres of coke per day. They then found out she has takeaway 4 nights a week and is very overweight, the radio person then asked if she had children and if she was worried about teaching them bad habits. Her response was " I have 4...1 of them is not that fat...I just let them eat what they like"

Even with all the campaigns in place here, we still get our fair share of uneducated, blinkered people who don't want to change their behaviour. BTW she does watch Biggest loser but I think a lot of these people watch it with the idea of "at least I'm not that bad".

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157623175907664/show/ 2010 FO
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/ My blog
mokey Posted - 01/30/2011 : 11:25:38 AM
I love the idea of eating outdoors! That wouldn't work very well here for a good chunk of the school year due to rain and snow but I will mention it at our next school council meeting.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

shaggy Posted - 01/30/2011 : 05:52:55 AM
Interesting, keep posting Wen.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Wen Posted - 01/30/2011 : 01:30:30 AM
esky=chilly bin in kiwi apparently= icebox= insulated cooler. It took some thinking about, its like hoover and kleenex, we don't call them by any other name no matter what brand.

yes atm= at the moment (internet speak sorry)

The picnic tables are outside, under cover. If it is too wet or cold they eat in the classroom. Playtimes and lunchtimes are outside times here. Hats are compulsory, no hat, no play is strictly enforced for half the year to minimise the risk of sunburn/skin cancer. The hat requirement is for all childcare centres, preschools and primary schools (up to age 12). The older kids have to take responsibility for themselves to be sunsmart.

Wen

mouse Posted - 01/29/2011 : 10:54:52 PM
atm---> at the moment

mokey Posted - 01/29/2011 : 10:08:39 PM
Wen, what do the following mean:

"esky"
"cooking atm"

Also, how big are the school hallways? They must be huge to allow for picnic tables.

Most elementary schools (age 6 to 14) here either have kids eat lunch in the gym, with tables and chairs set up during lunch, or in a designated lunch room. Public ones with a canteen are few and far between, although high schools (age 14 to 18) have them.

Wen Posted - 01/29/2011 : 8:02:19 PM
The move to healthy school canteens was initiated by some high school kids who were getting nutrition information in the classroom then going to the canteen and not being able to buy much that met the requirements as discussed in class. A campaign to get coke and chips off the premises was started from there. It didn't take long to go national.

There was some resistance with one school reported on the news having to ban parents from bringing lunches at lunch time to stop the KFC/McDonald etc from replacing the school canteen food. Most kids still bring homemade lunches to school and there is no problem with that. Schools do not provide lunch, the majority provide a canteen where lunch can be bought. For little kids it is generally lunch orders (paper bags with the order written on them and the money are placed in an esky and sent to the canteen, at lunchtime the food is sent back, one esky for hot food, the other for cold and the kids eat at picnic tables outside their classrooms.

We appear to have a national obsession with cooking atm, Masterchef and Junior Masterchef were two of the best rating prime time shows on TV last year. We also have a lot of other cooking shows that air in prime time, one of my current favourites is Songs of Sapa, Luke Nguyen's food trip through Vietnam.

Jamie is coming here with his Ministry of Food this year. So for those who don't know how to cook there is something new to get involved in.

Wen

lella Posted - 01/29/2011 : 4:45:16 PM
Cooking isn't being taught to generations of Americans. There is a TED talk about this problem and Chef Jamie Oliver, not from the USA but - nonetheless - interested in changing this for our country, gave detailed information about why we as a nation are not eating properly. The talk is astounding.

Here is the link to that talk:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html

PS. Sorry Wen, I didn't see your reference to this until now.

Lella

Zippiknits

Milinda Posted - 01/29/2011 : 4:14:23 PM
EWWWWWWWWWW, Mokey, that lunch menu made me want to hurl!

Whenever Husband and I go to the market, I marvel at what others have in their carts. Seriously. We shop the outer aisles, fresh stuff, grains, lean meats. And other carts are loaded with nothing but packaged goods and nothing real or fresh. I actually overheard a woman telling her son that the apples cost too much but she was perfectly willing to spend over $3 on a huge bag of chips.

People I know tell me they don't like to cook because it takes too much time and is hard. WHAT? I mean, if you are an adult and you want to eat junk, knock yourself out. Far be it from me to tell you otherwise. But if you are raising little ones, you are obligated to feed them a healthy diet and teach them the skills to take healthy care of themselves. Period.

Cooking needn't take a huge amount of time and it isn't rocket science. If Husband has learned to do it and do it well and with health in mind, anybody can learn to do such.

M L
mokey Posted - 01/29/2011 : 01:43:58 AM
Good on Australia! We're also slowly waking up to the reality of an ounce of prevention being worth more than a pound of cure.

Schools in Canada do not have to offer any lunch products but in my province, Ontario, legislation will come into effect next school year affecting things like pizza lunch (must be wholewheat, low fat.) Junk food in vending machines has been banned for quite some time, but it doesn't stop kids from getting it off school grounds.

Unfortunately, the school lunches shown on Oliver's show are the norm rather than the exception, as seen in a sample menu from a relative's school:

Available everyday: cereal
MON-Chicken Hip Dipper/Hot Dogs
TUE-Cheese Quesadilla with Mexican Rice/Mini Corn Dogs
WED-Pancake on a Stick and Scrambled Eggs/Chicken Patty
THU-Pizza/Hamburger
FRI-Salisbury Steak and Mashed Potatoes/Chicken Nuggets

I don't exactly know what a chicken hip dipper or pancake on a stick might really be, but I doubt they are what most consider a healthy, workaday lunch.

Wen Posted - 01/29/2011 : 12:23:34 AM
Our Govt and our schools are taking health care (especially preventitive healthcare) seriously. I received a govt sponsored health assessment this week that was heavily subsidised, an hour with the nurse, blood tests and a normal appt with the doctor $35.00 for the lot. The offer has gone to everyone aged 45-49. Healthy eating was a large component of the visit with the nurse.

Medicare now covers a number of health professionals including alternative health practitioners and it is available to everyone. High income earners do have to pay extra if they don't have private health insurance but for everyone else the premium is 1.5% of taxable income to get full access to public hospitals and heavily subsidised visits to doctors ( out of pocket for a standard consultation is about $18)

School lunch menus are now colour coded, green foods for every day, yellow sometimes foods, and red occasional foods. Fried food, soft drinks (pop/soda) and lollies (candy) are not allowed to be sold in school canteens at all, real vegetarian options have to be available (not just a jam sandwich).
Green foods will include most sandwiches, salads, the hot main meal where offered (low fat, low salt, low sugar), yellow will be things like a muffin or a flavoured milk (due to the sugar content). Fruit juices cannot be sold in containers larger than 200ml and must be predominantly juice not the 30% fruit boxes. These rules are enforced by law and cover all schools whether run by the Govt or private.

PE & health has replaced PE so instead of just learning sports they also learn about food and nutrition.

There are multiple school garden projects on the go, the biggest one led by one of Australia's prominent chefs involves growing vegetables and cooking classes for 9 - 12 yo's. They have the cooking classes before lunch and eat what they have grown for lunch. The recipes are not dumbed down either. Unfortunately our school isn't in this program and doesn't have cooking facilities but we still have the garden.

I saw the Jamie Oliver program last year where he went into the schools in a US town, I was appalled at the food choices available to the kids and the rules that the govt put in place for funding; the lunch must contain vegetables (good) but chips and tomato ketchup count towards the vegetable quota. You must have a cereal but rice doesn't count towards that. There seemed to be a lot of arbitary rules that had no foundation in nutrition. I hope this school wasn't typical of US schools. The young kids couldn't even name basic vegetables.

We still have increasing diabetes and obesity problems like the rest of the western world, take aways and poor choices are too easy. I wonder if there are any schools here that would get similar results if Jamie visited...

Wen

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe