Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Worsted Hand Dyes from Blue Sky Alpacas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 02/02/2011 : 8:28:17 PM
When I was preparing for VK Live and my Yarn 101 class, I hunted through my stash for a good example of a traditional cable-spun yarn. I always use a cotton blend for this, like Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece or Tahki Cotton Classic.

But then I remembered a small bag of yarns that Blue Sky Alpacas had recently sent me. In it, I found a plush hank of spongy Merino/alpaca that was, ding ding ding, a perfect example of a cable-spun yarn.

So I started swatching, and then swatching some more, and before you know it... this week's review was here. I hope you find it helpful.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
knitree Posted - 02/13/2011 : 10:40:26 PM
I helped a very nice gal on Rav de-stash a skein of this lovely yarn (in purple), and quickly knit up the one-skein fingerless mitts from the Blue Sky Alpaca website, using #8 rather than the recommended #9 ndls, and fine-tuning the fit a bit for my hands. These are the softest, cushiest mitts ever! I've never been a big fan of chunky fingerless mitts because really who wants hands to look bigger than they are? But this yarn and pattern are an excellent exception. The long cable pulls in the yarn, and the ribbing creates a nicely formed fit. And purple is just so much fun. Thanks Clara for the review. I'm going to add more of this lovely stuff to my stash one day...

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
frenetic@charter.net Posted - 02/03/2011 : 05:43:06 AM
Also, Jimmy Beans Wool mailed a catalog of patterns from BS Alpaca. It showcases each of the BS yarns individually and the corresponding patterns. I am a huge fan of BS Alpaca yarn and am going to dig some BS Alpaca Silk out of my stash and consider making Kaw Valley Wrap:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kaw-valley-wrap

Sharon
frenetic@charter.net Posted - 02/03/2011 : 05:35:05 AM
Purlsoho has a beautiful cowl, called the Big Herringbone Cowl which uses 5 skeins of this yarn. I finished my first one and it is stunning! (If I do say so myself!). However, the Herringbone stitch does not lend easily to frogging. Also, the join where you switch from one row to another pattern-wise does look rather messy. There are just 2 rows in the pattern and it is mindless knitting. I loved the way this turned out so much that I am making a second one from BS Worsted stash yarn but I only have 4 skeins. It calls for size 17 needles and I used 15s as my knitting is usually loose. Using such big needles and a tight stitch did hurt my hands, but this pattern is worth it!

http://www.purlbee.com/big-herringbone-cowl/

Sharon
knitree Posted - 02/02/2011 : 9:21:44 PM
If one opens the Blue Sky Alpaca link in Clara's review, the Dec 2010 free pattern uses one skein of Worsted Hand Dyes, and it includes a cable. I don't have this yarn in my stash (yet) but thick, warm alpaca fingerless mitts look mighty good right now.

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe