Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Ribbing gauge

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ccucinot Posted - 05/14/2011 : 08:02:15 AM
Hi:

I have a pattern that I want to use ribbing instead of the stockinet stitch..Since the ribbing is very strechy (like an accordian)..how do I convert the sts per inch gauge to work when I am using ribbing instead of normal stitch?

I got this pattern at the Spring Fling in Peru, Indiana. There were no sts per inch suggested..the designer did say the pattern worked best in a rib knit (it is done in sideways knitting) or a pattern design that was the same on both sides. I have the measures I need for the garment to fit me. But, I am not sure how to approach the ribbing sts/rows per inch gauge. Thank you!

Carmel
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ValerieG Posted - 05/20/2011 : 6:54:31 PM
Depends on how close you want it to fit. When I was skinny I'd wear ribbed tops with negative ease. Now I want them looser.
Also finer yarns can have less ease.
I'd probably go with what the swatch actually is without stretching it and figure from there. (Lay it out. Do NOT stretch. Measure.)
I would not double the stitch count. Even in rib that could be really big.
ccucinot Posted - 05/16/2011 : 05:05:51 AM
Ok..seems no one can help me...perhaps I did not make my question clear.
Example..if a pattern calls for 18 sts per inch and 20 rows per inch..should I keep this gage when ribbing..OR..should I perhaps double the gauge to 36 sts per inch and 40 rows per inch in order to get the 'relaxed fit' and not have the garment 'stretch' out as ribbing does. Please someone help...thank you so very much.

Carmel

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe