Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Denise needle set question...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gabbie Posted - 07/01/2011 : 09:43:07 AM
HI, I would like to know if anyone has the Denise needle set? Do you like the 'cick' feature? Are there any problems with the needles or cables?
I have KnitPicks needles, lots of them, and I'm really fed up with the cables pulling out of the connections when I'm in the middle of a complex lace project!
Has anyone had anything like this happen with the Denise set?

Gabbie
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 12/19/2012 : 7:42:27 PM
I saw in a yarn shop somewhere that Denise sells the joints if they wear out. I have a set but barely use because I don't like the feel of the plastic and the cords stay kinked from being in the case.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
bananaknits Posted - 12/18/2012 : 2:40:20 PM
I tried Denise years ago and they were not for me. I'm a tight knitter and the cable and joins are just too thick. Thank goodness there are so many choices these days. My current favorites are Hiya Hiya interchangeables. They go down to a size 2, for me that is important. They also come in different tips 4" or 5" and sharp point or regular, also bamboo tips.

I also have KnitPicks and I started out liking them but I found they fall apart, the cables just pull out of the needle. At first they replaced them and after a while they were a bit hesitant. I stopped using them.
NastiJ Posted - 09/06/2012 : 2:05:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ceil

I, too, have had problems with the Denise needles coming apart at the joins, and think the ends might be stripped.

If the ends are stripped, you can return them - they are guaranteed for life. Enclose a buck for the return postage and they will fix you right up.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Consuelo Posted - 09/06/2012 : 03:17:30 AM
Another endorsement for Denise here. I love mine and use them all the time. I agree that the cable keeps the shape of the storage thingy a bit too well but that doesn't seem to bother me.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Ceil Posted - 09/02/2012 : 5:47:02 PM
I, too, have had problems with the Denise needles coming apart at the joins, and think the ends might be stripped.

The cords also hold the bends they get from sitting in the case.

Finally, I'd rather knit with metal needles than plastic. Somehow, plastic doesn't feel "real" to me. I bought the Addi Lace Clicks a couple years ago and really like them.

But, Denise is what I started with, and I still have them as back-up. They surely are an economical choice; however, the stripped cord ends make them less of a bargain.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
kristpin Posted - 08/30/2012 : 12:09:59 PM
I'm a huge fan of my Denise Set. LOVE IT!!! i just an email from denise's website that they are having a labor day sale and offering 10% off. Here's the coupon code. Happy shopping

Take 10% off everything in stock on KnitDenise.com! Denise in a della Q sets - 10% off! Organizers - 10% off! Extra cord sets or long cords - 10% off in all colors!

Enter the code ( tenyears ) at check out. Place your order before midnight Tuesday, September 4, Eastern US time.
Margie Posted - 08/29/2012 : 6:42:59 PM
I, too, have seen the Denise sets for sale. However, 5 is the largest size I ever use so they won't get my business.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Gelliott Posted - 03/08/2012 : 10:01:23 PM
The Denise needles do feel very comfortable, and because they are plastic, they are my travel needles (no problems at airports).
I don't think there is anything defective about my set, but occasionally the click join comes apart while I am knitting--due to some awkward motion on my part. They are also not very "fast" needles, compared to metal or smooth wood finishes.

Gelliott
Nanaknit Posted - 03/04/2012 : 09:30:19 AM
Another Denise lover here. I've had surgery on both hands and the Denise's are the most comfortable for me to knit with. I occasionally have a problem with a needle disconnecting from the cord, but it's because I haven't checked to make sure that the needle hasn't locked on to the cord before I start knitting.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
gururamdas Posted - 03/03/2012 : 9:39:30 PM
If u cant tell from my prev post just now, I do love my Denises (+ bamboos also)
gururamdas Posted - 03/03/2012 : 9:34:04 PM
I purchased my first Denise complete set Jan 2005. A few yrs later, I purch approx 2 1/2 more sets (but w/o the organizers, which I dont need) + a w extra short cables + the 30" + 40" cable + 17 + 19 tips. Saved a fortune buying it this way + got exactly what I wanted.

No problem w/the joins cuz I find when I slip the cable in, make sure it is firmly embedded by tugging. If not, a good twist does the trick. If still not, holding the black part steady in my teeth, while twisting sets it solidly + it doesnt come apart, til I want it to.

At 67, my muscles are certainly not what they used to be, so all u 'younguns' may not have to resort to such drastic measures.

Have the Denises in 2 clear plastic zipper pouches from the 99cts only store. 1 for sincle digit size tips (size 5-9), another for the larger.

U might also what to check out:
Denise Tricks & Tips from Cat Bordhi
http://www.knitdenise.com/blogs/tips-tricks-patterns
NimbleDigits Posted - 12/30/2011 : 11:47:33 AM
I have both the Boye (metal with screw-on cables) and Denise interchangeables. I really like the way the Boyes feel and work so smoothly, but I dislike the angled bend at the joins between needles/cable and cable/cable (if I need to join two or more lengths together to make a longer cable). I never had the Boyes come apart on me, but then I made sure to tighten the joins very securely and after every round I would give them another twist just to be on the safe side.

I prefer the Denise set because of the straight, smooth joins and the flexibility of the cords (the Boye cords are rather stiff, but lots thinner than the Denise cords). I have had one problem so far with the Denise cord detaching from the needle. I change out the needles every round so that there's a smaller needle on the left, making it easier to pick up the stitches with the project-sized needle on the right hand. (I'm rather a tight knitter.) The wear and tear of changing the needles on each end every round seems to have worn down the connectors on the cord. Luckily, I'm paranoid about dropping stitches so I always knit in a lifeline periodically. Saves me at least once or twice every project!

Another issue with the Boye needles is that the sizes aren't imprinted on any of the needles, as they are with the Denise needles. I also hate the Boye case, it's very awkward to get the cables in and out of the little plastic tabs they thread through. The Denise case is very easy to use.

As another poster pointed out, the Denise set doesn't come in smaller sizes and my Boye set's smallest size is 2. Since I've just gotten interested in sock knitting, I need to buy new size 1 circulars and I'm looking at Addi Turbos. I just ordered some sock yarn from Knit Picks but didn't order any of their needles. Reading some of the posts here, I'm glad I didn't, although they do say they offer a lifetime guarantee on them. I never heard of Signature needles before, I'll have to give them a look.
Schaeferyarnlover Posted - 07/18/2011 : 12:32:19 PM
I think of The Denise set as camping. Before going camping,it seemed like a wonderful idea and I could not imagine any problems. Well, I went camping on the beach, it rained and there was no hot coffee in the morning.
As a new knitter, I thought the Denise set addressed the big issue of buying needles with each new project. Then I started a 217 stitch one piece vest on Denise size 7,extra long cord.
The needles came apart from the cord. Again and again and again and again....
I emailed, they responded. They sent new needles and new cords.
Started another one-piece vest. Guess what happened.
I occasionally start a project like a scarf with Denise. I find I am tensely waiting for them to come part. They do. I am not a tense, tight knitter, they just don't work.
And I do not camp either.

Debra
PS I am amassing a collection of the best needles ever. www.signatureneedles.com
They are expensive and one manufacturing run had issues. But they don't come apart. Ever.

hillstreetmama Posted - 07/07/2011 : 04:02:36 AM
I have Denise, Knit Picks, Webs bamboo, and Addi lace click. The Knit Picks are the absolute worst for coming apart (not unscrewing, just falling apart). The Addi's don't have a smooth join, which has surprised me. I still use them a fair amount. The Webs...can't say I use them at all (anybody want to buy the set at half price?) The Denise are great, if I'm using at least a size 7 needle. The 5's and 6's are barely bigger around than the cable, so don't like them as much. I've never had the Denise come undone, and they are comfortable in my hands. I prefer Addi and KP's cables, but I guess I can't have everything I like in one set.

Jan
Corddrymum Posted - 07/06/2011 : 07:22:09 AM
I have 2 sets and used them almost exclusively for about 3 years. Now I alternate with knit picks and Addi's but I highly recommend them. They are great needles.
Robin C
Ditzy Girl Posted - 07/03/2011 : 07:32:34 AM
I have a set of Denise but for lace you can't beat Knit Picks.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

NastiJ Posted - 07/02/2011 : 3:11:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

I don't know if it is the cords or the tips that are defective, so I don't even know what I would send back to the manufacturer.

I don't know of any reports of defective tips; as I said in my previous post there is a documented history of problems with a particular batch of cords. If you will send them one (or more) cords, with a dollar for return postage, and include a note explaining what the problem is, they will be able to tell you for sure that it is the cords that are at fault and they will replace them; or, if they determine that it IS the tips that are defective, they will send the cords back and you can send in the needles - all parts carry a lifetime guarantee.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
mkfromKansas Posted - 07/02/2011 : 1:23:10 PM
Denise lover here. I have 2 1/2 sets and extra cables so I can do almost anything anywhere. And the price is right for those economically challenged (like me). I've had my bunch for 7+ years and hardly ever a problem that was not of my own making.
mertle Posted - 07/02/2011 : 07:24:22 AM
Love my Denise set!!! Never had a problem with joins separating, and I use them about 85% of the time.

Marilyn
My Bags
anderknit Posted - 07/01/2011 : 7:34:00 PM
I have had ongoing problems with my Denise's, and I just won't use them anymore. The needle tips fall right out of the cords at random times - it seems as though the inside of the joins may be stripped. I don't know. It is very frustrating to have to pick up tons of stitches that have fallen off because of this. I don't know if it is the cords or the tips that are defective, so I don't even know what I would send back to the manufacturer.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe