Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 Olive Garden

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shalee Posted - 10/12/2011 : 10:24:24 AM
Olive Garden is owned by Darden Restraunts. They also own Longhorn Steakhouse, The Capital Grille, Bahama Breeze Island Grill and Seasons 52.

http://www.cbs12.com/articles/garden-4735966-flag-olive.html#ixzz1aa6dLDOZ

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
donnawatk Posted - 10/20/2011 : 10:08:13 AM
I wish our Olive Garden had meeting. That would give me a excuse not to go their when my family wants to go. I have never had a good meal there. The last time we went I thought I would play it it safe and order a salad. It can to me frozen. I gave it back and didn't have anything for lunch that day. The next time we all go out and some body say Olive Garden I will stay at home. Donna
Luann Posted - 10/14/2011 : 1:06:07 PM
quote:

I would imagine they probably skip "O, Canada" too.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

Excellent point!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
NastiJ Posted - 10/13/2011 : 6:31:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Luann

I don't know how they do it down in Alabama but I imagine it's much the same (without the "Alaska Flag Song," of course.)

I would imagine they probably skip "O, Canada" too.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
shaggy Posted - 10/13/2011 : 5:08:18 PM

I think it's a story about poor communication, not anti-Americanism.

Luann

Could be Luann

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Luann Posted - 10/13/2011 : 2:32:14 PM
I have been to many a Kiwanis meeting: lunch, dinner, Christmas party, you name it, which were always held in private rooms of restaurants or hotel banquet rooms. In addition to the display of the state and national flags, and the Pledge, there was always singing - "America the Beautiful," the "Alaska Flag Song," and "O, Canada" at minimum, and if there were people who could actually carry a tune they would be asked lead the Star-Spangled Banner. I don't know how they do it down in Alabama but I imagine it's much the same (without the "Alaska Flag Song," of course.)

If I were planning a group meeting and intended to bring my own equipment - from flags to a banner or white board or overhead projector - I would a) want a private space and b) ask the management if they would be able to accommodate my needs.

I think it's a story about poor communication, not anti-Americanism.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
shaggy Posted - 10/13/2011 : 1:56:55 PM
We had our bowling alley awards dinner at the Olive Garden several years in a row. They gave us a room that would seat all of us. We didn't walk in waving banners that read greatest bowler Margie.

I don't see a problem with having a meeting in a restaurant, but the flag could be a problem.

Come to think of it I think we had our meetings in every restaurant in Cincy except twice in all the years I bowled. We had 2 meetings a year.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

NastiJ Posted - 10/13/2011 : 1:40:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shalee

If you read the whole piece you would see that they were not notified that they could not display the flag until the night before the meeting.

You know, I DID read the whole piece, because I'm not in the habit of shooting off a comment just based on the the headline - in fact I read it well enough to see that she was told this on the night OF the banquet, not the night before:
quote:
Warren learned the night of the banquet that she wouldn't be allowed to display the flag or the Kiwanis banner in the restaurant, she said.

That would indicate that she just showed up at the restaurant with her flags, and had never asked beforehand whether it was OK. The restaurant did not renege on any promise made to her, and she did not bother to ascertain what the restaurant's policy was in advance.

Nancy J.

Ceil Posted - 10/12/2011 : 8:15:30 PM
I don't eat there any more. Too much salt. It goes in the sauces every morning.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Shalee Posted - 10/12/2011 : 6:25:03 PM
If you read the whole piece you would see that they were not notified that they could not display the flag until the night before the meeting. My feeling was that they should have told them when they made the reservation, not the night before the meeting. I do agree that OG is not the place for a meeting but with the number of people that they probably had coming you can bet they took up one whole section. OG knew it was a meeting from the get go.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

hillstreetmama Posted - 10/12/2011 : 4:39:47 PM
A public dining area hardly seems appropriate for their meeting. If I was at the next table when they all began to say the pledge of allegiance, I would be kind of annoyed. Not that I don't say the pledge in appropriate settings, but they should find a restaurant that has a separate banquet room if they're going to do more than just eat their meal and visit.

Jan
NastiJ Posted - 10/12/2011 : 2:51:10 PM
Why would the Kiwanians want to have a meeting in a public dining room? Since they did, they would seem to be obliged to conform to the rules of that public space - for, if they got their way, next week a group of neo-Nazis would show up and insist on their right to display swastika-bedecked banners.

Nancy J.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe