Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting Behind Bars

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ussjaneausten Posted - 06/04/2012 : 6:24:08 PM
Hello everyone,

I absolutely love knitting and I'm currently part of Bus 52 - we travel around the US in a converted school bus, making videos about people who are doing inspiring things in their communities.

We've made two videos that I thought might be of interest to people on this forum.

The first is about Knitting Behind Bars: two women in Maryland have been holding knitting classes in a male prison: http://youtu.be/_shCWBwxj7E

And the second is about a Fiber Arts Center that teaches people to weave to help them gain financial independence: http://youtu.be/okSmRksi5no

I hope everyone is having a good day and getting the chance to knit a lot!

Amy
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 06/17/2012 : 11:03:26 AM
Hi Amy--Thanks for sharing the videos. The weaving one choked me up (I am admittedly a giant sap). The ideas that textiles can change lives and are a heritage that needs to be passed to a younger generation really appeal to me. Also, that video has tempted me closer to weaving.. So many fiber arts, so little time.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Nanaknit Posted - 06/16/2012 : 6:22:32 PM
Welcome Amy! Although there are many successful knitting programs in correctional institutions, I feel that I need to add a caveat.

As a correctional medicine professional for over 25 years and avid knitter, I know that not all facilities will be open to the idea. If any of you are interested in sponsoring a knitting program in your local correctional facility, please understand that there are many factors involved in offering programming to inmates. Anyone coming into the facility to teach must be background cleared, a secure location for the class identified, additional security provided for the class as well as carefully choosing the inmates who will be allowed to participate. Remember, these are the same people who can and will make a deadly weapon out of a toothbrush. A knitting needle would make an excellent weapon in the wrong hands. Security always comes first in a correctional facility.

Hope I haven't dashed anyone's hope of providing this kind of program locally, but if you are aware of what is involved you may be able to persuade someone that these issues can and should be overcome in order to provide a calming and valuable experience for their population.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
tpcrna Posted - 06/15/2012 : 7:22:31 PM
I often knit when attending meetings. Someone told me that I always respond to controversial issues in such a calm way. How did I do that? My friends have decided that it's all because of the knitting. I believe it. This way, when the conversation gets too idiotic, at least I have not completely wasted my time because I was knitting!
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 06/04/2012 : 11:59:49 PM
Thanks for the info, Amy! I see that you are a newbie to the forums; glad you joined us & hope you decide to stay!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe