Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hello from Southern Maine!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Terry56 Posted - 08/28/2013 : 03:48:51 AM
Hello!
My left-handed sister taught me how to knit, and my mother helped too. I was 9 at the time. I started with a green and gold stripped scarf that I knitted on intermittently until mom finished it for me. A few years later mom bought me my first sweater pattern and wool to make an Icelandic sweater. I was hooked. I've made six more Icelandic Sweaters, lots of socks, mittens and hats. I stopped knitting for about ten years, until my son said he wanted to learn to knit so he could make a scarf. We got about 4 inches into it and he told me he really wanted me to make it!
We lived in Russia from 1991-1998, having gone there for our Faith. The women there knitted differently and much more quickly than I had ever seen. They said it was the Continental style. Never heard of it and they moved too fast to see what they were doing. When my son handed off his scarf I decided to see if there were any videos on YouTube that taught that style. There were and I haven't looked back!

Right now I'm working on a Aran sweater for my son. I just have the shawl collar to finish!

This is getting kind of long. For me knitting is a wonderful outlet for my creative nature.

I'm happy to join this forum and glad to meet another Maine-iack in the knitting world!
Terry56
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eldergirl Posted - 08/28/2013 : 11:07:51 PM
Hi Terry! Welcome from Baltimore! I have fond memories of Maine in the summers some years ago., and envy you the weather when you can happily wear Icelandic Sweaters! The mid-Atlantic is HHH just now (horribly hot and humid), not a breath of air, fog, just plain ugh!

There. had my rant: sorry! So I am knitting socks...my usual summer knitting....but I am setting myself a goal to knit a sweater for myself, and I am difficult to fit, so I am quaking in my boots about this.....

You have an interesting travel history, living in Russia and all..and congratulations to you for learning Continental knitting!

We are so happy to have you here on the KR Forums!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
jtamsn Posted - 08/28/2013 : 10:20:39 AM
Welcome to the forums, Terry, from Portland! I'm impressed that your son lets you knit sweaters for him! Neither my husband or son wears sweaters.....too hot! I have a brother who lives in your community. Where do you like to shop for yarn? I hope you enjoy the knitting inspiration found here.
judy
donnawatk Posted - 08/28/2013 : 06:56:11 AM
Hi Terry56, Welcome from Chicago. I have been looking for yarn for top down Icelandic sweater by Ragga Eiriksdottir. Good for your son for trying to knit. All I get from my son and daughter is will you make me this.Donna
Mshark Posted - 08/28/2013 : 05:55:45 AM
Welcome Terry56! Wow, that leap from a scarf to an Icelandic sweater is breathtaking. You'll find lots of other adventuresome knitters around these forums, so don't hesitate to poke around and get in the conversation.

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe