Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 yarn for a skirt

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Olive Posted - 11/07/2013 : 8:37:02 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on yarns to use for a knitted skirt. I made a skirt for my teenage daughter from 50/50 wool tencel. She has worn it regularly for a couple of years and all I do is give it a good brush with a lint removing clothes brush after washing and it looks like new. I would like to make her another skirt but don't have that yarn in a suitable colour. I feel I should use some stash yarn, which is getting embarrassingly large I have a lot of different mixes and pures to choose from. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences with yarns and mixes that would wear well and have the right drape for a skirt? Doesn't have to be a really cosy yarn as we live in Queensland Australia. Thanks to all who post on this site for your encouragement to knitters worldwide.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
purlewe Posted - 11/12/2013 : 07:49:00 AM
I saw a skirt knit up in Wollmeise and wow! it was a stunner. Not a heavy weight yarn and held its shape beautifully. I think a really good sock yarn with a little bit of nylon in it might be a good fit.. but then it might mean you are knitting for a very long time due to gauge.. I just think a smaller gauge might hold up better over a longer period of time.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
flicka Posted - 11/11/2013 : 10:17:44 PM
Wow, the yarn you used for the original skirt sounds great! Would you be willing to share the name of it?

I gather that you have more of that yarn, but not in a color you want. It might be possible to dye your yarn to get a more suitable color.

Otherwise, linen or a linen blend might be good for your purpose. I have the Linen Kilt pattern by Tracey Ullman and Mel Clark in my queue. The knitters on Ravelry are very enthusiastic about it.

Keep us posted, please!

flicka

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe