Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
quikeye Posted - 06/16/2006 : 9:50:17 PM
Wow, I want these even though I have no use for them having almost a full set of Addis already.

http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/KPNeedles.aspx

Man, interchangeable needle system, nickel plated like addis but with super sharp tip. And a set fo sock sized non-interchangeabales too...

I wish they came in US sizing in the sock sizes though!! (They have 2.5mm & 3.0mm like the addis, wish they had 2.25 & 2.75mm).

http://sockpr0n.blogspot.com
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
technikat Posted - 04/04/2013 : 08:37:25 AM
My problem with the knitpicks options needles is at the point where the metal clamps around the wood part of the needle. That area is not smooth on some of the needles. The wood sticks out so that when moving the stitches from the cable to the needle, they catch there.
This has happened on 2 out of 4 needles I've used. Grump! They are so pretty otherwise and the cords are nice and flexible.

I have tried sanding down the wood at that point and it helps a little.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
ikkivan Posted - 04/02/2013 : 6:06:29 PM
I have Addi turbos in all available sizes, I think, but hardly ever use them nowadays because the glare bothers my eyes. My hands-down all-purpose favorites are Hiya Hiya bamboo fixed circulars, although I also have the stainless steel (not to mention three different sets of interchangeables). I knit lots of socks Magic Loop using the 32-inch circulars most of the time (40-inch for large men's socks). I also have many of the Addi Natura bamboo fixed circs. If it's a knitting needle, I probably have it, even if I rarely use it.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
kkknitter Posted - 04/02/2013 : 4:32:54 PM
Ikkivan, if you prefer Magic Loop Knitting, have you tried Addi Turbo with the blue cable? I knit socks on size 1, 40 in long and love them.

Kristina
ikkivan Posted - 04/02/2013 : 09:17:36 AM
I no longer buy Knit Picks circular needles, fixed or the interchangeables (I gave what was left of those to my daughter). When they are good, as are some of my fixed circulars in small "sock" sizes (the fact that the larger sizes are not available in fixed circulars negates the word "options"), they are very good, but usually one out of three ends up in the trash despite my efforts with emory cloth to smooth them. It's always the join where the metal part and the flexible cable come together; it is a poor fit and has a sharp or rough edge that actually cuts fibers in my yarn. I recently purchased three of the newest blond-colored wood fixed circulars for socks in hopes of improvements, and two of them cannot be used because of this inferior join. I happen to love the cables (I prefer Magic Loop knitting), and some of my older straights and double points. I will not waste my money again on Knit Picks circulars, because this has not been just a "once or twice" experience, but MANY times over quite a few years now.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
mrsnoache Posted - 04/01/2013 : 6:56:48 PM
I like the affordability of the Knit Picks brand of everything. What would the budget conscious do without them. The interchangeable needle set I bought about two years ago are still going strong and I would like to get another set. I have recommended the "Options" to my friends.
Ditzy Girl Posted - 07/02/2008 : 09:09:47 AM
I LOVE MY KNIT PICK OPTIONS! They are pretty much the only needles I use anymore for everything. I love the tips and cables. When I first ordered one of the tips didn't work, but they replaced and I have never had a prob since. I think when you are as sucessful as they are you are bound to have some probs, but I am just happy I was not one of the problems. I have ordered 4 sets of the smaller so I can work socks. I like working both socks at the same time but not on the same circs. Again I am very pleased with them.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

knitloon Posted - 07/02/2008 : 07:56:51 AM
I just purchase several more sizes of the fixed Options. I also just had the cable on my 24"fixed size 2 come loose. I added a note to my order asking them to send me a new one. There were no questions, nor did they ask me to return the old one. They just sent me a replacement with my order. Absolutely my favorite needles.

View my projects at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitloon/ AND: www.ravelry.com/projects/knitloon
Puddytat purr Posted - 07/02/2008 : 07:27:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by CalamityKat

Thanks to inspiration from Fleegle, and my father's know-how, I have taken my Options set to unprecedented places. I have cord couplers, needletips in sizes KnitPicks doesn't make, etc. The story is on this webpage:
http://people.virginia.edu/~fke2d/textilearts/hybridneedles.htm

I hope this gives others ideas to even further expand our Options!

Frances
Illegitimi non carborundum.

I've had a look at your blog - your set is amazing and I want one!

The circumstances surrounding your birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that matters!
DebbiOH Posted - 07/02/2008 : 05:04:08 AM
Wow Claire, I'm surprised by all the glitches. I've had my Options for over a year and haven't had a bit of trouble. I do agree that Knit Picks has great customer service, and while I've only had one problem with a yarn order, I otherwise have had good or great customer service.

If I had to pick one quality of the Options set that I love the most it would be the cables. So far they are the most comfortable that I've worked with.

Hope it's blue skys and puffy clouds where you are today too! Love that sunshine.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
ceecee Posted - 06/22/2008 : 06:57:33 AM
Claire,

I'm sorry that you've had so many problems with your Knitpicks needles. I would've thought that at this point, they'd worked out the kinks. I did not get the entire set, just the sizes I needed and had a few problems with the cables popping out of the earliest ones I bought, which was easily remedied with a teensy dab of Gorilla glue applied with a toothpick. I also got the fixed Classic needles more recently for magic looping socks and after several pairs of sock, I haven't had any problems. Given their reputation for customer service, Knitpicks will probably accept returns, but you can decide if the advantages of these needles outweigh the problems.
Puddytat purr Posted - 06/21/2008 : 7:46:31 PM
I'm so excited, a friend is buying me a set of these as a birthday present and they should arrive by mid week!

The circumstances surrounding your birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that matters!
rather be knitting Posted - 11/29/2007 : 2:35:56 PM
I just stopped knitting to post here. I wanted to love my new Harmony needles -- really i did. My plan was to use them mostly for knitting lace shawls (i make a lot of lace shawls ) The sharp points and flexible cables are great. I don't mind the purple cables (tho it does make it difficult to count stitches when knitting with dark red or purple yarn). The multi-colored tips don't bother me. I was initially turned off to the pasticky feel of the finish, but that is something i can get used to. It was mostly a case of thinking that they would feel like bamboo needles and i wasn't expecting them to feel like plastic.

I ordered sizes 6-10, and 3 sets of 32" cables. My first project was a lace shawl using fingering weight yarn on the #7s. I was about 3/4 done, when the cable came out of the metal holder and stitches dropped all over the place. It took hours to get all the stitches back on a new cable properly. My second project was also a shawl -- worsted weight on #10s. Again, about 3/4 done, and that cable came out of the metal holder. Also the #10s had a problem with the finish on one of the needles. It was undetectable with my fingers, but when i knit with them, it was like fingernails on a chalkboard. [crazy]

I called KP last week -- and they were very helpful and are sending replacements for both the #10 points and the 2 defective cables. Yes it is good customer service, but it is also the kind of customer service i would expect from a company who has sold a defective product.

Today, i went to finish the edging on another lace shawl -- fingering weight on #6 needles this time. On the first row, i could feel the yarn catching where the cable joins the metal holder. I carefully finished the row, inspected the join, and realized the roughness was because that cable was barely in the metal holder and was about to fall out. I switched to another cable and hope to finish the shawl today.

So far, 3 out of the 6 cables have been defective. Two cables are unused, and 1 is OTN right now, so i don't know how they will perform. After having 3 cables be defective, i'm feeling pretty gunshy. I don't knit to sit here worrying all the while whether the needles will survive the project. My knitting time is limited, so trying to pick up, reposition, and reknit all those stitches is not something i look forward to doing! And besides having the cables come out of the metal holder, i have had the needle end unscrew from the cable end several times. This is after i have tightened them using the key. So i am finding that i have to stop every couple of rows and retighten them (again using the key).

I am seriously considering returning the whole mess. I don't buy knitting tools to have them make my projects more trying and more difficult. I think this is a product that has great potential, but i also think it has some serious "engineering issues." For example, the metal end that holds the cable is the "male end" and the one that hold the needles is the "female end." I'm not an engineer, but this seems backwards to me. If the cable end were the female end, the cable could be inserted from the "inside" instead of trying to put the cable into the metal fitting and hope that the sizing and pressure were absolutely perfect so they would fit and not come apart. Maybe they are using glue to hold the 2 pieces together, but if they are, that process is obviously failing too many times.

I think KP is heading in the right direction with this product, but i also think it went to market before all the kinks were ironed out. Some additional quality control and product testing is in order -- and we shouldn't be the ones doing it for them!!!

Happy Knitting!
claire
tink_r_bell Posted - 11/29/2007 : 11:40:06 AM
And, if you are someplace away form the little key, or at work (and how would I know this?) an unbent smaller paper clip works also for Boye, Denise and Options.

A Norwegian named Johan Vaaler invented it and patented it Germany in 1900. 89 years later admirers erected a monument to him in Oslo, a 22.5 foot tall paper clip.

A paper clip can also double as an emergency crochet hook for dropped stitches (and I wonder how I know this also?)

For computer geeks and knitters, paper clips are our best friends![:00]

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Bethany Posted - 11/28/2007 : 9:24:42 PM
Don't feel bad... I had the Boye Needlemaster set before I had the Options and I knit with it for some time (cursing the needles whenever they came loose) before I realized those little keys really *were* good for something. :)
8kids4me Posted - 11/28/2007 : 8:10:11 PM
Well, paint me blue and call me.... I tried using the key, and even though it didn't seem to be any tighter to me, it must have been. I have had NO trouble with the needles coming off!

Cindy B
likestoknittoo Posted - 11/28/2007 : 6:38:56 PM
I have the Options set and I can not say enough about it. I have not had any problems with the cable coming loose or off. I always use the little cable key that came with the set and do not over tighten the cable, I just tighten it enough that the needle and cable are flush to eachother and this seems to work for me. I am making an afghan right now with the Options on size 11 needles and once in a while I have given the cable a strong pull to get my knitting up to the needle and the cable joint has not come loose at anytime. It might be that you have a faulty cable, in that case you may want to call KnitPicks, they will probably replace the piece free of charge for you, they have a wonderful customer service and are always so very helpful.
Bethany Posted - 11/27/2007 : 11:43:41 AM
Are you using the little cable-tighteners that came with the set? (The wire things that go into the hole on the cable, that you use to tighten the cable.)
8kids4me Posted - 11/27/2007 : 11:28:06 AM
I just got my first pair of Options last night. Without going through all 22 pages of the topic, can anyone tell me just how tight I need to torque the needle on the cable? I tightened it, but my needle keeps coming unscrewed. I can't get it tighter than that without my fingers slipping. Should it click into place? I have already started my project, but it will drive me nuts if I have to rescrew the needles in every row.

Cindy B
Suzann Posted - 08/30/2007 : 04:54:30 AM
Hi

Try this
http://tinyurl.com/2gnypb

It was the > after the link that threw it off.

Cheers

Suzann

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://lostpurl.blogspot.com/

http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
hopeless Posted - 08/30/2007 : 12:46:01 AM
The link did not work for me but then there is a creature that lives some where in my computer that knows that I am not there. He comes out and screws up my computer and I am absolutely the biggest computer dummy in the entire world..............
My husband says that he never touches the computer but every once in awhile I have noticed that the last website was "Charles Schwab" Maybe the little creature is a heavy investor in the stock market!!!!!
Susan

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe