Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 A Knitters Question on Crochet

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Srigah Posted - 04/10/2008 : 12:36:32 AM
Wow...I feel like I'm at the back of the bus. Will anyone answer this question of mine. I'm a knitter but got side-tracked with a
granny square baby blanket for my 2nd grandson. The crocheting is moving along nicely with 12 colors to work with and the squares are
piling up and I got to thinking...how am I going to connect all these
4-1/2" squares together????? I've gone through several sites with
different methods but would like to hear from some of you on what looks good and is easier. My hands are about ready to give out with all the crocheting. Any ideas? Thanks.

tf
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
exoticsophia Posted - 09/29/2009 : 05:33:47 AM
i also love afghan stuff including afghan jewelries and afghan saddle bag rug... you are right Linn. i like your idea of baby cable..hehe

do good have good, do bad have bad.
CatherineM Posted - 04/10/2008 : 5:27:13 PM
After many years of afghans, I have settled on single crochet from the back. It's sturdy and makes a nice finished front side, and will hold the structure of the squares under extreme kid conditions. No matter what you decide to use to join, I do vote for pausing now and then to join squares and create a strip, so when you get to the end of the squares you are on the home stretch of finishing, it does feel easier that way.

Catherine
http://yorkiedog.blogspot.com
llinn Posted - 04/10/2008 : 4:34:54 PM
I like to slip stitch from the top, going through the stitch top on the left first, then through the first stitch on the right, then back and forth. It makes a nice little decorative back and forth, like a baby cable and looks really finished.

Llinn
MindyO Posted - 04/10/2008 : 08:53:33 AM
From a former crocheter, now knitter: I did a granny square afghan once and slip stitched with the hook. Connected each square into strips then connected the strips. I made sure to only slip stitch into the back loop of each square though otherwise I thought the seam was too bulky! So when you hold wrong sides together, you should only be going through two loops one on each square. It was super quick and easy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
sparkleplenty Posted - 04/10/2008 : 06:55:27 AM
I joined the one afghan I've made with single crochet. It leaves a ridge on one side, but I didn't feel it looked bad. It felt faster and easier to just crochet the pieces together, and I was willing to compromise with the ridge. Definitely do strips as Pat suggested.

sparkleplenty

-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
niteknitter Posted - 04/10/2008 : 02:08:27 AM
I do a load of granny square afghans and I like to use the whip stitch when I sew them together. I put the front of both squares facing each other and whip stitch using the back loop only. when you open the two squares it has a nice ridge.

I also think it is easier to do them in strips, then sew the strips together. I also like to leave a long enough tail to use as the thread to sew them together.

I hope this helped you out?

Pat

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe