Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Can knitting cause stress?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GFTC Posted - 05/06/2008 : 11:07:51 AM
I got no mojo.

I suddenly feel like my knitting is causing stress and not alleviating it. My last project was a pair of socks and, even taking a break of a few weeks while knitting the second sock, it seemed endless which has never happened to me before.

I have 3 sweaters in bags - one for me needs sleeves, one for my brother's kids needs pickup on neck and hood, other one for kids just needs sleeves sewn on & buttons. Also, Babette Blanket needs to be sewn together and Mitered Square blanket needs more squares and finishing.

I want these projects finished but I don't want to do them. I also don't want to start anything else until these are done. I don't want to match stripes, do short rows, follow a pattern, identify errata, deal with pooling, figure out sizing, or have to ultimately sew anything together. I don't even want to buy yarn.

I have a 3 hour train trip coming up this weekend. I'm thinking placemats in Sugar n Cream. Maybe crocheted.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
handmadebypam Posted - 07/12/2008 : 4:40:12 PM
My solution is to always have two projects going; a thinking project and a relaxing project. Then depending on my mood or energy, I have something to work on. My relaxing project is for when I'm tired or stressed, and the thinking project is for a cool, new sweater or new technique that I've decided to tackle when I have the energy.

With both projects going at any time, I'm happy to knit and can handle most anything!!!

Pam

Handmadebypam
joanwaff Posted - 07/07/2008 : 05:10:17 AM
I love knitting socks on 2 circulars, 2 socks at a time, and starting toe up, using yarn that makes its own pattern. My family loves my socks. What was stressful was trying to knit too many pairs and making a time goal. I STOPPED THAT! NO MORE STRESS! I don't care when I finish a pair now, and really like simple knitting, rather than worrying about patterns and yarn changing. I don't work too long at a time either.

I teach art, and knitting is my pastime when watching TV.

Hugs, Joan
http://www.joanwaffcreativedesigns.com
lella Posted - 07/07/2008 : 12:11:31 AM
I think you'll have fun doing the needlepoint after a long LONG project in knitting. I misread your first post about the edging. My sister's favorite things are needlepoint and cross stitch on linen. She will teach me someday she says.

Enjoy finishing!

Zippiknits
kcknitnut Posted - 07/06/2008 : 7:39:32 PM
Lella; the shawl is not QUITE done. I have 30 more out of 83 patterns to do on the edging. After this is completed I'm going to do some needlepoint.

KC
lella Posted - 07/06/2008 : 5:20:14 PM
Congratulations on finishing your Civil War Shawl. What are you going to make next?

And yw about the life line. It's to save your life, just joking.

Zippiknits
kcknitnut Posted - 06/26/2008 : 1:18:29 PM
Thanks for the explanation about using a "lifeline". I will use it for a subject during knitting guild meeting.

The Civil War Shawl body is done. The edging has taken me 2 wks so far and just about 1/2 done. It is quite a project.

KC
lella Posted - 06/26/2008 : 10:02:50 AM
I hope that someone answered you about a life line, in a PM. If not, here's the short, sweet answer:

A life line is a piece of different colored yarn or even, say, 40 pound test fishing line that you fish through (this happens before knitting farther into the pattern) the stitches on the needle anywhere in the pattern. This, so that you can go back.. rip back..to that row to start again, if the pattern gets "off" or any number of stitch disasters occur. HTH

Zippiknits
kcknitnut Posted - 05/30/2008 : 09:49:21 AM
I've never heard of a "lifeline" How does it work?

KC
Dances with Needles Posted - 05/30/2008 : 08:12:42 AM
Did you put in a lifeline? Lifelines can be sanity savers with lace.

DWN
kcknitnut Posted - 05/30/2008 : 07:35:50 AM
It's been 10 days since I started the Civil War Shawl. Everything went well for 103 rows. After doing 2 more rows I discovered a mistake. Ever try to take out hundreds of lacy pattern stitches???? No THAT is where the stress comes in. I worked on it for 2 hrs and not past the half way point YET. As I do with Weight Watchers....DETERMINATION.is the key here. This too shall pass,hopefully by this evening.

Kcknitnut in TX
Dances with Needles Posted - 05/29/2008 : 8:01:23 PM
Everyone has their UFO limit it seems. I find that I knit best when I have something else that I should be doing instead. this week it is garden stuff last week it was bookkeeping. If you temporarily mislaid the Mojo don't worry. go plant or dig or find something so repellent that you will knit in self defense. Meantime I think I mislaid mine under the pile of laundry I should have folded last week, never mind I would rather knit than fold.

DWN
kcknitnut Posted - 05/18/2008 : 08:59:59 AM
Hi fellow Knitters. Having just finished a modual wrap for my DD and an afghan for my DS, a new lacey stole is on the needles for ME. MY MOJO has never left me. I did the Red Cross Knittin' for Britten during WW11. My Mom taught me to knit argyles for my Dad when I was in Jr. Hi school. I just saw the pattern for the Civil War Wrap in Cast ON mag this month. Yarn has been ordered for that and so my next project is in the planning.

Kcknitnut of So TX
newpilar Posted - 05/18/2008 : 05:32:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lucienh

When I first read this thread I felt sorry for people who lost their mojo.... Where's mine? If you see it, send it to me, please. I have two projects OTN, but one's mindless and the other needs too much thinking about. Don't know what to do. Will try chocolate.

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/

Mine was lost for a year and all of sudden it's back slowly. I hadn't been on here also (that I missed!) but it's slowly rising I pull one of OTN projects ans I can't remeber where I left it I have to trace back... But I'll find it after I play with my new vice Twitter.... I have found that a copule of you Twitter that's what made me bsides walking out of my stressful job come back. So help me find my Mojo too...

Carmen in the learning
knittingnana Posted - 05/17/2008 : 3:33:46 PM
I feel like that sometimes. I usually only knit small projects. I don't wear sweaters anymore,we also winter in Florida, so I don't need them-too hot for me. The only thing I knit for myself is ankle socks. I knit toys and stuff for my grandkids,I have 3. We just got back from Florida and I have beem knitting dolls for the girls. They go quick. I also knit items to sell. I never have more than one project going at a time and have been knitting for 51 years! Works for me. Chocolate is good too!
Hope you all get out of your funk soon!

Renate
www.hyenacart.com/Nanaswoolies
www.nanaswoolies.com
abt1950 Posted - 05/16/2008 : 08:56:17 AM
Oh dear, is this condition infectious??? Not to worry, it doesn't last long.

I got my knitting mojo back and cast on last night for a semi-self-designed top. We see what happens. If it doesn't work out, I've got a backup plan for the yarn.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
lucienh Posted - 05/16/2008 : 05:22:55 AM
When I first read this thread I felt sorry for people who lost their mojo.... Where's mine? If you see it, send it to me, please. I have two projects OTN, but one's mindless and the other needs too much thinking about. Don't know what to do. Will try chocolate.

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
MindyO Posted - 05/15/2008 : 09:45:50 AM
Funny thing is I wasn't too stressed, or bummed about knitting until after I replied to this post the first time. We went on vacation, I knit on the plane (5" bamboo DPNs) and on the way back, a bit in the room one night, no problems. I come back and I didn't touch a needle last week at all! I did finally force myself to pick up a shawl I've been barely working on for months, but even that wasn't long lived. Just not in a knitting mood now... it MUST be something in the air!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
Janbie Posted - 05/15/2008 : 09:05:51 AM
I'd maybe try crocheting for a while...it may get you away from the repetition of knitting, and it involves (I think) a different mindset. Plus, you don't have to think as much as you would with knitting.

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller
abt1950 Posted - 05/11/2008 : 10:17:09 AM
Knitting mojo? What knitting mojo? Oh, you mean the knitting mojo that led to all the UFOs and increased stash since last fall? I've now totally lost that mojo.

Too many UFOs make me antsy. I feel obligated to finish them, which means that I duck my head under the covers and when I emerge I start a new project. That starts the cycle all over again. It's like being back in school and avoiding assignments.

If I knit too much, I don't read. If I read, I don't knit. I'm currently reading. I knitting mojo'd myself into a flareup of whatever RSI I have. Sigh.

This too will pass. I will finish my UFOs. Eventually.

Good quality ice cream is almost as effective as chocolate.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Larjmarj Posted - 05/10/2008 : 4:22:31 PM
I can totally relate to this topic. I have four wips going right now, one is a cardi that I probably shouldn't have started but did. I feel like I "should" make a garment. It'd be nice to actually make one that fits and I'm having my doubts about this one. I have a lace shawl that I'm picking away at, a pair of cable socks that I am picking away at and another pair of cascade socks, or should I say a trio. What happened is that I started and finished one sock, started the other one a few months later without having the first sock with me and then ended up with two totally different socks. Now I am making sock number 3 to match sock number 2 which I liked better.

My knitting mojo waxes and wanes, right now it's on a wane. When I make a little more progress on the cardi....well that might get me revved up again.

http://knizzlefoshizzle.blogspot.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe