Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Winter 09 TNNA Feedback

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 01/23/2009 : 09:32:32 AM
Hey folks!

I received this comment in response to the Winter TNNA write-up and realized I'd never designated the right spot for feedback - so I'm sharing it and hoping to hear more reactions, if you'd like to share them.

Clara

You asked a question at the end of your article about TNNA but when I click on it there appears to be no place to post to that question. I disagree to some extent about the business. In my area three shops have closed and many of us are beginning to worry that we will only be able to order on line for yarn. People are chanting "Go to the Stash". We are still purchasing things we just can't live without but we have all taken advantage of the close out sales and are pretty much tapped out already.

Stitches West is not full this year, a real turn down in classes and our local shops are not attending because they can't see spending the money to be in a both next to their competion and pay for the privilege! So don't get too revved up self just yet. Times are tuff and as our new president just said they will get worse before they get better. Those of us on retired fixed incomes may be in for some bad times. And we do love to knit, but I bet I have enough yarn to last until things get better. You wanted our comments this is mine.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HRH the Knitting Queen Posted - 02/08/2009 : 10:08:01 AM
We have had three yarn shop closings in the Dallas-Fort Worth area in the last year. I too think that it has more to do with the natural etrition that occurs when an industry is hot. Many jump on the bandwagon, but not all last.

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com
minh Posted - 01/23/2009 : 7:12:48 PM
So far, I know of 2 yarn stores closing in the Boston area. One of them closed over a year ago -- it had been in business for a couple of years and might have been "riding the wave" during the knitting boom. The other store was a craft/studio store with beading/sewing/knitting classes and closed last November.

I was wondering if people are not attending Stitches because they are afraid to take days off work to travel and attend classes on Thursday/Friday in this economic climate. Personally, I've decided to sign up for yarn clubs so that my knitting budget is planned out and these businesses can count on regular cashflow throughout the year.
marfa Posted - 01/23/2009 : 12:59:50 PM
How do.

Clara, your newsletters re professional events & conventions always interest me because we non-professional folks are able to witness what is going on "behind the curtains" in the industry. This recent one drew my attention even more due to the current economic climate.

For me, Shelia made a good point: many new yarn shops have opened over the past few years & sometimes when an "industry" quickly grows in leaps & bounds, some of the newer businesses close. In my area we have a number of very cool & established LYSs. They seem to be adapting to the current climate by the offer of new & more classes, lessons, knit-ins & knit alongs.

I have heard the same feedback as Shelia re the Stitches West & East - they are awfully large. Some folks go just for the shopping. Some of the smaller venues attract folks for the up close & personal attention that is given. That was the case for me w/ Stitches East & I have heard it from others.

We are pretty darn lucky to be knitters at the present time - there are many great choices we have!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Shelia Posted - 01/23/2009 : 10:21:01 AM
We've seen some store closings in our area, too, but I think that there were just too many LYS openings over the past couple of years to be supported by the number of knitters/crocheters/spinners. The shops that are in smaller suburban or rural towns where there is no competition within 30-40 minutes are doing well, at least out here in OR.

I don't know about the Stitches conferences, because I made a decision a few years ago not to go because they are too big and crazy to be enjoyable, for me. Most of the classes at the Madrona Fiber Arts 4-day weekend in Tacoma sold out within 2 hours, and they added classes to the line-up. SOAR and the KR Retreat were over-subscribed in October and November. Maybe folks have just decided to spend their fiber-fun dollars for events that are a bit smaller and have more interpersonal time rather than the ultra-huge knitting conferences. I know that in the past a lot of folks went to Stitches primarily to shop, and to the smaller venues primarily to see friends, take classes, or just relax and knit. Personally, I'd choose the friends and relaxing knitting time over shopping (even for yarn) any time!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe