Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Dumpling Bag

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
anderknit Posted - 03/01/2009 : 08:40:42 AM
Anyone try this one? It's from IK Fall 2008, and there are over 700 of them on Ravelry. (They are extremely addictive.)
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dumpling-bags

or if you're not on Ravelry:
http://tinyurl.com/6j3oou (scroll down one screen)

I just finished felting my first one - pre-felted pictures here:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/anderknit/dumpling-bags

My question is this: how do you get your felting to come out evenly? Some parts of my bag are extremely felted; other parts still look like knitting.

Any ideas?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lella Posted - 01/02/2010 : 2:58:38 PM
quote:
I found an old-fashioned washboard and felted on that, when I was into felting. I think I found it at an Ace Hardware store, actually...

Amanda, did you do something the size of clogs or this little bag on that washboard? I have a heck of a time getting anything to felt in my front loading machine.

Lella
Sticks and String Posted - 03/16/2009 : 6:50:37 PM
Try the beading sections in the craft stores or a beading store. I found the shell rings in the beading section of Michael's...

Jo
anderknit Posted - 03/16/2009 : 09:12:47 AM
Suzanne - Thanks for the compliment - I do appreciate it.

I was never able to find non-plastic rings anywhere locally - not Michael's, ACMoore, Joann's, or a fabric store. I ended up ordering very nice wood rings from Artbeads.com. (Link below.) They were quite inexpensive and shipping was free, so I ordered 6 sets. (These dumpling bags are addictive!)

http://tinyurl.com/cbdfz5

Felting update: I ended up "hand-felting" the less felted spots of my bag by wetting the bag in the sink and rubbing rubbing rubbing from the inside with a kitchen scrubbie. Someone in LYS suggested a certain kind of tupperware top - she said a friend of hers searched yard sales for them. Someone else said that those plastic things you put under a bar of soap to keep them from getting icky would work too.

Anyway, after re-felting the under-done spots, it is nice and even now.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Sticks and String Posted - 03/16/2009 : 07:27:41 AM
My MIL knit 18 of these bags for the "council" of a women's social organization she's involved with. I found beautiful shell rings at Michael's for her to use instead of the plastic rings. They went thru the machine without issue. I felted them 3 to a bag using the small net laundry bags.

Jo
rhys Posted - 03/15/2009 : 7:21:56 PM
Thanks so much. The bag is already knitted and off needles. I went to 7 stores today to try and find something other than lucite rings. Urg. Still haven't found anything that will work. Hope to get something at Hobby Lobby on Tuesday. I neer would have thought finding rings would be such a tough assignment.
anderknit Posted - 03/07/2009 : 8:34:01 PM
Hi - yes, the directions want you to knit the entire bag with a double strand of worsted weight yarn. I used a single strand of Valley Yarns (WEBS) Berkshire Bulky instead.

When I have knit with doubled yarn, I've done it both ways - using both ends of a skein or splitting the skein in half. When using both ends of a skein I've had some tangling problems, but it's doable either way.

rhys Posted - 03/07/2009 : 5:30:24 PM
I have the magazine and the directions confuse me a bit. Can someone help me? It starts with 3 st for an I cord. It says: With MC doubled and dpn, CO 3 st. Work a 3" I cord..........."

I don't see where it ever states to quit using the MC doubled. Is this the case? If so, do I knit it doubled all the way thru the pattern? And what's the best way to double: pull from the inside of the skein and the outer, too?

Thank you!
lemons Posted - 03/02/2009 : 1:41:08 PM
If you look at her pictures on the Rav site, you can still see stitches pretty clearly on a number of them, if that's any consolation. But yes, keep sloshing them around.

lemons of missouri
Atavistic Posted - 03/02/2009 : 12:03:09 PM
I found an old-fashioned washboard and felted on that, when I was into felting. I think I found it at an Ace Hardware store, actually...

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
2totangle Posted - 03/02/2009 : 10:42:55 AM
I've had my eye on this pattern for potential gifts, but haven't tried it yet. Yours is gorgeous. I really like the colors.

As for your question about uneven felting, I don't have much to offer except to keep tossing it back in until you're satisfied. I tend to like my felted projects to be very felted, and my particular circumstances of water temp/water composition/washing machine, etc., make for a few more sessions in the machine than others seem to need. I'm also pretty aggressive with tweaking the wet product into shape -- I'll pull, poke, use binder clips and twine, and stuff things with a million plastic bags to get the shape I want.

Suzanne

Flick pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe