Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 knit shops in NYC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Knitgirl Posted - 04/09/2003 : 7:01:19 PM
I'll be in NYC this weekend. Does anyone have any favorites to see....obviously can't get to all of them. I have seen gotta knit. What about The woolgathering 0r Stitches East Or the Yarn Connection Or The Yarn Company!
Thanks!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tobey Posted - 06/27/2007 : 2:20:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by skygoddess

There's a new yarn shop on 108th Street and Amsterdam Ave. Yarntopia It's been there about 6 months. <snip>

If only I had read this when I was at my in-law's two weeks ago! Yay! A yarn store down the street! Yay! They are at 100th so it's not much of a walk--I will definitely check this out the next visit!
Pam in DC
skygoddess Posted - 06/23/2007 : 5:37:58 PM
There's a new yarn shop on 108th Street and Amsterdam Ave. Yarntopia It's been there about 6 months. Dona Flam is the owner. The yarns she carries are beautiful and seem to be reasonbly priced. She's also getting her website organized: yarntopianyc.com, not much there but sign up to be on the mailing list. Great hours for those of us who are night crawlers like me. Wed/Fri/Sat/Sun 12-7. Tues/Thurs 12-9. Closed Mondays. Stop by. Dona is lovely!
infinity Posted - 02/16/2007 : 2:44:59 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have to chime in with Kevin. I live on the UWS and have visited most of the LYSs in the city. I somehow missed the opening of Knitty City and usually get most of my supplies online. I tried so many of the other stores in the city and was just not feeling the "luv" or the friendliness being eminated from the stores. So I never became attached or built any relationships.

I was in a pinch and needed some size 3 dpns in a hurry. So I went to the only store I knew on the UWS and ended up standing there for over 20 mins just to get acknowledged or get someones attention. I still ended up waiting another 30 min. What made it worse is that the store was out of the sz 3 dpns. I asked how long it would be until they would be instock. I was kind of brushed off for another customer and stood there for about another 10 min. Finally I left and went home. (I should mention that this was not the only time I had an issue with this LYS, the first time it happened I gave them the benefit of the doubt and returned to be treated badly a second and third time).[crazy]

So I went online to find another LYS that was fairly close and stumbled upon Knitty City. From the moment I went in I started feelin' the "luv". I ended up taking a sock class w/Betty (amazing Betty). I am not really a pattern reader and she has been able to lay it out so that this visual person could understand. Even before I took classes or spent on penny, they were very helpful and assisted when I had issues with a project.

I still go to other LYSs but I have to admit that I am a Knitty City Groupie. I am about to start attending the Sock Support Group on Thursday Nights from 6-8. I would join the men on Weds if they would have this girlie girl... but I wouldn't want to invade their evening.[!]

I find that I just like to go and hang out and chat about the yarns and upcoming events etc... It is not perfect (but neither am I), but they at least have a good grasp on customer service. If you happen to have a bad experience go back and see how it goes because it was an off day, which we all have.

InfinityExplorer
~~
~ every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...
jennesy Posted - 01/16/2007 : 12:32:34 PM
I just got back from a trip to the city. I went to Purl and got some really nice hand-dyed silk/mohair. The staff was helpful and brought out bags of yarn for us to look through to find the right color. The shop is tiny, though, and things seemed overpriced to me (Cascade 220 was about $11).

The only other shop that I made it to was the Yarn Connection on Madison & 38th. It's tiny (and the hallway that you have to walk through to get to the shop reeked of disinfectant...) but they had a decent selection of yarns and supplies. The shop was pretty busy but the owner was still taking time to help a customer with their project, help others find yarn, etc. I probably won't go back just because nothing there really caught my eye.

My best knitting find was in Brighton Beach! We popped into the lone Japanese shop on Brighton Ave. (all the other shops are Russian) and found bamboo needles for $1.49!!! On the way back into the city we tried to go a few shops on Coney Island Ave @ Ave J (there are 2 shops on this block) but it was Friday around 4:30 so nothing was open.

I wish I had been able to go to more yarn shops! I had a huge list and they were all plotted out on my map but we didn't have much time.
elaineinplane Posted - 07/20/2006 : 2:24:20 PM

i just moved to manhattan and was looking for knit shops too. the closest to me is String on Madison Ave. I was very disappointed. staff was unfriendly and not so willing to help. I also checked out The Wool Gathering and the lady that helped me was very helpful and welcoming to her store and was willing to answer my questions. i would never go back to String.
alerievay Posted - 06/23/2006 : 05:04:39 AM
I would like to recommend The Yarn Connection, on Madison between 36th and 37th. It's not a fancy boutique, but I've never had customer service at a yarn store in Manhattan like I had last night. It was a surprise after visiting nearly every store in the city and feeling that the service or inventory was subpar. I highly recommend going there! The Yarn Connection seems to be overlooked a lot, even though it's one of the oldest yarn stores remaining.
KevinG Posted - 06/22/2006 : 09:07:19 AM
KNITTY CITY PLUG

This is copied from a post I made elsewhere, but it seemed the thing to do to add it here as well:

I just discovered this place [Knitty City] last week (they opened in January 2006) and I've already been back several times, most recently for their Weds night men's knitting group. I already love the store -- the staff is warm, friendly and welcoming, the yarn selection is wide and well-balanced, and the needle and book selections are the best I've seen anywhere. A lot of thought went into putting this place together and it shows.

I've often felt the conflict of buying yarn/supplies more cheaply on-line versus buying them locally and supporting my LYS. I've usually gone with buying on-line because I've never found a LYS that I've felt sufficiently attached to that I'd spend the extra money in order to give them my support. Well now I feel like I want to buy at Knitty City whenever possible. To me it is worth it to support this store.

-Kevin
renee_knits Posted - 06/19/2006 : 11:52:28 AM
Can't imagine why anyone would NOT want to visit String on Madison & 78th! Beautiful yarns, with normal prices notwithstanding the upscale location! A favorite of mine.

Knitting IS real life!
TricoteJ Posted - 06/17/2006 : 09:06:17 AM
Okay, here are my comments:
Seaport Yarns - I was there about 2 months ago and one woman was soo rude! She yelled at me for looking at yarn in one of the rooms saying, "get out of here, I haven't priced these yet!" I was stunned and said, "I am NOT pyschic! Close the door if you don't want customers in here. Don't yell at me for not being able to read your mind." She then apologized, but I felt a sick pit in my stomach and would have left immediately, but HAD to buy yarn to finish the neck of a sweater and they were the only "game in town" with the right colors. I will NEVER catch the C train to Wall Street (FAR FAR FAR) again to see these wacky people.

Favorite Yarn Stores:
Downtown Yarns (Ave A and 4th St. Take the F or V train to 2nd Ave/Houston. Exit from front car and walk 2 Avenues to A and 4 blocks to 4th). This shop is small but the women who work there are GENIOUS. They are helpful, laid back and creative. Its like visiting friends of friends. They also will never PUSH you into getting yarn that you aren't sure of.

Purl Soho (Sullivan Between Houston and Prince) (Take C train to Spring St. Walk to Sullivan and then Left looking for a minty green door).
They have the most monochromatic luxurious yarn but it is small and crowded ALWAYS. Purl recently opened a quilting shop a few doors down. LOVE it too. The owner, if you didn't know, worked for Martha Stewart Living for YEARS! Hence the stylized shops.

the Yarn Co: 81st & Broadway (1 Train to 79th and walk 2 blocks). I think that the people that work here are VERY VERY Loyal to their regular customers. I am not one these, but, I have a friend who is. So, I was in the shop having one of the salespeople recommend colors that my friend might like and they were SUPER helpful. They were knowledgeable about how things knit, they KNEW what colors my friend would be partial to, AND although their "spinner thing" was broken, someone in the back spun a ball for me. I also like the little room in the back where you can sit down, privately and get your project started. LOVE Jamison and Petra who will help you 'til the bitter end.

Where else? There is a swanky place on Madison and about 78th that has beautiful yarn, friendly staff, but I never want to visit them. I ALWAYS want to do a walk-by in both Downtown and Purl.
cindymen Posted - 05/17/2006 : 10:40:41 AM
I live in Brooklyn and would love to find the time to get into Manhattan to see some of these shops! Maybe some day...I love reading all of your comments though.Thanks,
Cindy
awalka Posted - 05/14/2006 : 9:30:19 PM
I did go there once (seaport), and I recommended them as a good store, I was more in a browsing mood so didn't ask a lot of questions. I did however ask a few guestions about gauge, needle size, etc. b/c some of their yarns had neither listed and with me being a "new knitter", I can't easily judge this yet, there were 2 ladies there, and one did seem annoyed to answer me and acted as if I should know that - they were not pushy and did not follow you around so I can say I definitely like that -- I love Purl's store, sort of small, pretty, makes me feel good just to walk in there and see all the pretty yarn, colors, etc but last time my experience wasn't memorable, walked in wanted to ask a question about one of their yarns, and it wasn't they were busy b/c I am willing to wait for that, it was more of chit chat and being ignored so I just left which would have probably been a good sale b/c I was checking on some yarn for a cardigan ---
yivich Posted - 05/13/2006 : 5:00:14 PM
Wow that sounds like a ridiculous experience. You might consider calling and asking to speak to the owner and tell her what happened (assuming that wasn't her today!). I'd definitely want to hear about it if it were my business!

-- Ivete
blog: http://www.knotology.net/
patterns: http://www.chiagu.com/
JGOLOSO Posted - 05/13/2006 : 2:56:41 PM
That is really rude. I have only been to Seaport once and I had a good experience, but the owner can be odd. I have seen her at a few knitting shows (she had a booth) and she has been kind of odd there, too. I would not shop at a store that treated me like that. I will think twice before I shop there again.
Shallweknit Posted - 05/13/2006 : 06:28:56 AM
I used to look forward to shopping at Seaport too. Once I called ahead for a yarn that I knew they carried, but just needed to get a specific colorway. The person that answered snapped at me and didn't want to look or offer to call me back at another time.

Well, I was finished. There is no way that I will give my business to a store that cheats or is rude. Not after I've been dropping $50 to $60 most times that I visit. Oh, no! So that's two NYC shops that I've sworn off. Shame too, because their stock has been wonderful. After a couple of months though, I don't miss them one bit. Too many options and sales else where.
desi_knitter Posted - 05/12/2006 : 5:44:44 PM
I had a most unpleasant experience at Seaport Yarn today. One of the ladies there has always been a little weird and short with customers, in a bad mood generally, and I've always chalked it up to her personality.

But today she was really snappy and rude. When I called about a pattern on the phone, she said "I have no idea if we've got it." At the store she waved me to the wall and walked away while I was still asking her a question. She got irritated with me when I asked about their return policy (because I was planning on getting an extra skein, since they didn't have the Fibertrends pattern I wanted for me to check the exact yardage). She told me not to buy the yarn if I wanted to buy it only to return it.

I had called ahead in the afternoon to make sure they carried in the specific colour I wanted, I had also sped downstairs to the ATM opposite to withdraw cash when the other woman reminded me they didn't tak e credit cards, so I asked her what had made her think I was doing that, and she said, well, your attitude clearly tells me you aren't interested in buying it!

At that point I said I was a little upset since she hadn't answered any of my questions properly and she got really mad, saying it was almost 6, they were closing and here I was at 5.45 (I had come there at 5.30) and she had a show to go to and a ton of things to do. So I said it's okay, stop right there, I'm leaving and I'm not coming back. She yelled "Don't!" I told the other woman I wasn't taking the skeins she had set aside for me and I left. She looked a little shocked but didn't say anything.

What is the matter with this woman? It was hot and stuffy and I can understand her being a little tired at the end of the day but if you're in a hurry why not let customers know they want to close? They buzzed two women in after me and there were three other women browsing in the store when I left. I can understand her not wanting to hunt down a pattern for me in the folder, but I was totally weirded out by her rudeness. It's a pity, because they have a great store.

Visit my new blog:
http://desiknitter.typepad.com
happyneedles Posted - 04/14/2006 : 04:14:07 AM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. How nice to spend time with mom, and your mother sounds wonderful, going along with you to the lys. Sounds like my mom! Sue

~Knitting is a gift you give to yourself~
LILynn Posted - 04/11/2006 : 09:58:16 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. My mom and I spent 4 days in the city 2 weeks ago. We had such a great time. We went to 5 different knitting stores - my mom doesn't knit - but she is the only person that would run around the city with me!

I checked out School Products first. I bought some beautiful cashmere to make a shawl for me. There was a lot to choose from but this was not like any yarn store I have ever been to in the past.

On Saturday, we went down to Union Square for the greenmarket. There was one guy selling yarn - it was pretty nice, but kind of pricey and he was not very friendly or helpful, so I passed. Loved the market though - I wish I had gone the day I was going back to Long Island - there was tons of stuff I would have like to have brought home.

From there we walked to The Point. What a nice store. They were giving a class when we got there that I wish I had known about - I think it was on Tuscan knitting. The sample shawl the instructor made was beautiful. My mom picked out some yarn for me to make her a shawl - we had an iced coffee and left. Will definitely go back.

We stopped and had lunch then went on to Purl. Even after everything I had read, I was still suprised by how small this shop was. Did not see anything that inspired me so we left and walked to Suss. Wow - what a beautiful store. I did not buy anything but the people working there were helpful and very nice.

We walked back to Union Square, took the subway back to midtown and called it a night. I was so tired from walking all over that day.

Sunday morning we walked through Central Park and then over to Knitty City. I am so glad I went there. WHat a lovely shop and the owner is as nice as can be. I bought some yarn to make a purse, a couple of interesting patterns that I have not seen elsewhere. This is the type of place that you just want to spend the day at.

WE stopped at Zabar's and H&H Bagels - bought a bunch of stuff to bring home after we left Knitty City. Then lunch at a lovely Italian place on Broadway where we got to sit outside and watch NY go by.

My wonderful vacation with my mom ended - I took the LIRR back to the Island and my mom caught a cab to the airport for her flight back to Florida.

And a great time was had by all!
desi_knitter Posted - 04/09/2006 : 4:30:34 PM
I went to KnittyCity this afternoon and was very pleased with the store! Lots of space to walk around, lovely samples all over (they had some gorgeous samples from the book "Knitting Out of Africa") and lots of yarns. Cascade, Frog Tree, Cherry Tree, Louet Gems.... what I loved was they had solid wools and alpacas, not just weird glittery stuff. The staff was helpful. If it weren't so far off from where I live, I'd go a lot more often.

Visit my new blog:
http://desiknitter.typepad.com
Shallweknit Posted - 04/06/2006 : 6:31:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Veronique

I discovered a new yarn store today! The sign simply says "Knitting & Stitching". It opened on monday April 3 and is at 1st ave & 65th st. They carry a lot of Debbie Bliss yarns (all the cashmerinos, Cathay, Astrakhan etc) and an impressive selection of Cascade Yarns, including some I'd never heard of. Cloud 9 (merino/angora), Cotton Rich... The store is cozy, but still has a big table and a couch.

Excellent! Did you happen to notice what their days/hours were or have a phone number?
Veronique Posted - 04/05/2006 : 2:01:13 PM
I discovered a new yarn store today! The sign simply says "Knitting & Stitching". It opened on monday April 3 and is at 1st ave & 65th st. They carry a lot of Debbie Bliss yarns (all the cashmerinos, Cathay, Astrakhan etc) and an impressive selection of Cascade Yarns, including some I'd never heard of. Cloud 9 (merino/angora), Cotton Rich... The store is cozy, but still has a big table and a couch.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.74 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe