Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 The Calm of Knitting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
knittingknut Posted - 12/20/2005 : 11:07:54 PM
I am very easily stressed. Knitting helps take all that stress away. Just knitting and counting I forget all the troubles, real or imagined, in my life. The joy of creating something from a ball of yarn gives me such great satisfaction. It helps me deal with so many things because I can say, "Hey, look what I did". I am so glad I found knitting. I wish I'd had it 20 years ago.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ozknitter Posted - 05/13/2006 : 7:34:19 PM
Hi,

I must say I agree with you all, but luckily knitting has always been a constant in my life and it sure beats the hell out of Prozac.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
mycrayona Posted - 05/06/2006 : 10:50:04 PM
I started knitting when I was first diagnosed with chronic clinical depression. That was 20-ish years ago and after a long "absence" have just taken it back up again. It is such a soothing stress reducer. I have been out of work for a few years now and lost my home to foreclosure forcing me to move back "home" with my mother, sister, brother in law, niece and great niece and brittany spaniel puppy in the tiny house I grew up in. Talk about a stressful situation. I am part of group therapy women's talk group and it seems just about all the ladies on staff as well as female patients seem to use needlework as a therapeutic tool. We call it part of the [coping] tools in our "tookboxes", although we can also call it our "knitting bags" I guess. In any event, the tactile nature of knitting helps me a lot. I could kick myself for not picking it back up sooner. Cest la vie. At least I'm back into it now. I try to do something healthy, productive and pleasurable every day. Knitting fits nicely into all three of those categories.

Well, listen to me yakking away when I could be KNITTING!!!!!!!

dAWN
Boxy Posted - 05/01/2006 : 5:50:43 PM
After getting my three small children in bed at night, my greatest relaxation is curling up on the couch and knitting. I hadn't realized just how much it helped until I hurt my wrists over the weekend and couldn't knit for a few days. I was about to start climbing the walls!

http://www.purpleduckie.com
PurpleFleece Posted - 04/30/2006 : 04:09:03 AM
Knitting is relaxing for me too but I've discovered something else. I feel depressed when I don't have a weaving project on one of my looms. There's something about sitting on the loom bench and throwing my shuttle that lifts my spirits. I think anyone that creates "something out of nothing" can relate.--Debbie

Purple Fleece
info@PurpleFleece.com
www.PurpleFleece.com
[img]http://www.millcovehouse.com/PurpleFleece.jpg[/img]
kneddlema Posted - 04/29/2006 : 7:28:32 PM
this is a ver good topic. I have found knitting to be soothing through my troubles as well. When my husband was ill I knitted. When he died I cried and knitted. They both helped keep me sane
ozknitter Posted - 04/28/2006 : 04:20:51 AM
Hi,

I am on HRT but still get the urge to strangle people from time to time, like shop assistants that talk to each other about what they are going to do on the weekend/done on the weekend etc., while your patiently waiting to be served.

Or going to a doctor with a stomach ache to be told "its probably gall stones as you are fair, fat and fifty". I am not fat, I'm not thin either, but I'm definitely not fat.

I better go to a sock class quick sticks before I do somebody a mischief.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
baabbette Posted - 04/06/2006 : 10:44:22 AM
Knitting is my favorite stress buster. I have learned how not to let the tension I feel from the day show up in my projects. Gotta keep that knitting tension even even if I'm not! Sometimes my projects are too involved to take with me so then I have reason to start yet another project. I have to have a smaller project as a take along.
Beverly the Bronx Girl Posted - 04/06/2006 : 10:29:17 AM
[meow]
Knitting keeps me focused. Don't have time to think about food, daily stresses or the problems of the world. I take my knitting on the train when going to my mom's 70 miles from here. Blessings,Beverly
Diane Posted - 04/05/2006 : 1:12:25 PM
As a woman who works on a freelance basis from home while raising kids, I completely agree with your post! Well said!
lford Posted - 04/05/2006 : 07:14:04 AM
As a recently semi-retired person who works at home, I have become very frustrated with the attitude that I have a significant amount of time on my hands. I am studying for the CPA exam in addition to maintaining 2 homes, 4 dogs, 5 cats, and my own sanity. I don't know what bugs me more, the constant interruptions by people who assume I was just waiting for their input, or walking into a previously clean room and seeing it is no longer clean. Is there something in children's/husband's DNA that prohibits them from putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher?

Knitting is the only activity I have found that once done, never has to be done again. Unlike the dishes, laundry, dusting, etc, a completed project is finished. It is yours to admire, gift, whatever. The act of planning, constructing, and completing a project gives me a sense of accomplishment like nothing else.

Then there's the feeling of love and pride involved with gifting a handmade item to someone you care about. It doesn't matter whether the recipient realizes the love that goes in to each stitch or not, whether they ever wear it or not (although I like to think they do). What matters is the feeling I get from planning and completing a project for someone I care about.

Linda
Dakota122503 Posted - 03/14/2006 : 08:34:33 AM
I find that when I knit, it gives my brain time to process. When I run around all the time I think the stress comes from never stopping long enough to mentally deal with my life, but knitting helps me relax and let my brain process.

Wife to Brandon 7/8/00 Mommy to Mathias 11/12/05
[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/qp2zhi.jpg[/IMG]
krisleon Posted - 03/02/2006 : 09:24:51 AM
I get stressed easily and knitting helps me,i live near noisy neighbours and when i am knitting it calms me and i forget about them.We will be moving house in June,but i will still need my knitting to stop me getting stressed out.
bsharp2 Posted - 02/21/2006 : 6:51:27 PM
Knitting definitely keeps me from throttling people who really deserve it!! I have knitted through meetings and classes. I knitted through interminable doctors' visits (and those horrendous waits), presurgical waits, chemotherapy (never let anyone start an IV in your hand!!), radiation therapy, and all the usual waits we have in our lives!! Knitting allows my hands to be busy and my mind to wander and daydream. I seem to do a lot of subconscious problem solving when I knit, too. Maybe it's the rhythm...who knows? But, I plan to just keep on knitting!!!
Marg in Mirror Posted - 02/19/2006 : 5:29:35 PM
quote:
a 45 minute commute aaaa

Do you knit on commute? I used to (I no longer commute)...Hence, I am known as....

TLWKOTB*
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com

*The Lady Who Knits On The Bus
wabbitmom Posted - 02/19/2006 : 09:42:44 AM
I couldn't agree with you more, Spiderhawk. I probably should be more of a perfectionist when it comes to my knitting, but that would just defeat the point and give me something else to stress or obsess over! I love completing a project, and the little imperfections only mark those "learning moments." You see them, acknowledge and smile at them and then incorporate the lesson learned in the next project.
spiderhawk_z@yahoo.com Posted - 02/18/2006 : 07:18:31 AM
Like the Zen koan about carrying water and chopping wood, knitting is that marvelous action that stops my mind from spinning out of control. I'm not a perfectionist knitter. I don't care if I've missed a stitch in Fair Isle or messed up a portion of the pattern. I rarely spend time ripping out work. All that matters is the journey from cast on to cast off. As long as the garment fits or does its function, it doesn't matter; the stitches in between keep me from worrying over things that I can't control. That's all that matters.
busygirl Posted - 02/17/2006 : 5:36:28 PM

I have been knitting for years,as I learnt as a child ,and when I was in my teens I knitted several sweaters, pullovers and scarves for myself - in those days my life wasn't very stressful,so I didn't consider knitting to be therapeutic - as far as I was concerned,it was just an enjoyable hobby !

Life has at times been very stressful since then,so these days knitting is both my hobby and my therapy.I have a tendency to become depressed from time to time ; knitting definitely calms my anxiety and makes me feel more positive.

Leslie
knittingkeri Posted - 02/16/2006 : 9:48:03 PM
Thank goodness for knitting!!! I cant afford to pay for a University, so I'm dependent upon really good grades for scholarships, and trying to keep a 4.0 is very stressful when you have 15+ hours of classes a week & am trying to run a business.

I know this is late, but for those talking about body diposal - I have 80 acres and people that tick me off...

Month 2 of the no - new - yarn diet!!!! Plus month 2 of the no more soda diet, guess which one is going better?
ross_anne@hotmail.com Posted - 02/16/2006 : 8:19:22 PM
I began to knit because of stress. From this beginning...I began to learn to spin as well. I can imagine the next project I want to do and the feel of the yarn or fiber in my hands. I love to knit with my handspun yarns. Without these calming activities and creative outlets I would not have made it through a very stressful time in my life.
Jenni Reiz Posted - 02/16/2006 : 6:06:29 PM
I must find it calming - when I want to know how it would be possible to knit in my sleep! I put my knitting down and start upstairs to bed, gnashing my teeth that I can't do sleep-knitting - has anyone mastered that? I'm thinking that I would be out of the bad dreams, if only....

Back to Olympics Knitting - but not to get all stressed about it

Jenni In Edmonton - working on socks, again....

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe