Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Ok can we talk about DRUM carders, hand cards, and

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
truly violet Posted - 01/20/2006 : 5:28:06 PM
combs.....
but mainly drum carders
who has one
which one do you have
why that one
do you use it often or is it just a 'nice to have but only use it occationally toy'

( watch now..... there will be a test later and it is 45 % of your grade)

sooooooooooooooooo

lets talk about carding

vi
who is pretty sick of feeding tiny bits of dyed icycle into the oriface with each bit of drafted wool

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 02/12/2013 : 09:24:36 AM
Thanks, Kathy. Maybe I'll go lurk on rav for a while. Fiber Prep group would be interesting in lots of ways, I'll bet.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
KathyR Posted - 02/11/2013 : 5:19:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RedAby

Ravelry had a tiny bit of information but no personal experiences. Has anyone taken the plunge and bought one or knows of somebody who has or has any information about them?
Thanks!

If you go to the Fibre Prep group in Ravelry there is a wealth of information, including personal experiences, there. You can also find groups for some of the individual carder makers such as the Fancy Kitty carders.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
robinstephanie Posted - 02/05/2013 : 10:49:37 PM
I just read this entire thread; thanks for bumping it up, RedAby. I'm currently carding a Cormo fleece on my guild's carder, and got caught up in all the great information. Of course, now I'm considering buying a drum carder too. Sorry I have no info to add here.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
RedAby Posted - 01/31/2013 : 11:56:24 PM
It's been a couple of years so I thought I'd rev up this topic again.
I'm looking for a drum carder and was slightly amazed by the prices. I found a carder on ebay that I'd never heard of before made by Southern Comfort Products at a very attractive price. Ravelry had a tiny bit of information but no personal experiences. Has anyone taken the plunge and bought one or knows of somebody who has or has any information about them?
Thanks!
oldhaus Posted - 12/06/2011 : 2:56:18 PM
Yes, My Patrick Green Triple Picker is a wonderful tool!
It does take the "pasture" out of most any fiber (well, the bison was even much for it!) ha ha ha haaa

I sometimes will run the nastiest fiber through a 2nd time and it really does open up most fibers.

Just keep your hands clear! It is a great tool to have!

Joel...

quote:
Originally posted by Shelia

(I'm catching up after a long weekend away)

I have a Strauch drum carder, and the way that I am able to card fine fibers without nepping is to pick well, card only a very small amount of fiber at a time, and turn the handle very, VERY slowly. It's such a temptation to crank the handle, especially when daydreaming, but that just creates more nepping.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits

Oldhaus Fibers
Angora yarn & wool

Amana, Iowa USA
www.oldhaus.net
oldhaus Posted - 12/06/2011 : 2:51:57 PM
This is an ON GOING topic it seems...

I have & love my Patrick Green "Li'l Deb" ultra fine tooth carder!

I use it for my Angora fibers & it's wonderful, especially with a nice Giant Angora fleece.

2-3 ounces (4 max) is what I can pack on the drum, makes wonderful 24" batts

"IMHO" in my humble opinion...

JLH

Oldhaus Fibers
Angora yarn & wool

Amana, Iowa USA
www.oldhaus.net
lisaandjo Posted - 09/03/2011 : 12:53:03 AM
92ppi on lge drum, 72 on lickerin works for me, handles alpaca, that's been through a picker, merino and coarser greasy wool,that's been degreased, In a top loader, in (washing bags) cold water, 1/2 cup of truckwash, soaked for an hour or so, spun, rinsed twice cold, and spun only, NO AGITATION, it may start to felt, air dried on a rack, homemade, plastic coated 1/2"square wire mesh, fluffed on the picker. Card on! ... ... of course!

andgeoff
myraspinstoo Posted - 05/02/2011 : 05:03:55 AM
the drum carder questions still prevail. i am in the market for a drum carder. since the newest post in this thread is 2 years old, i thought i would ask the question again. which drum carder is the better one for carding not so fine fiber. i have some unwashed alpaca which i would like to card, but mostly i can see myself blending . i really like bfl and would probably be blending it with other stuff bamboo, silk etc. thanks in advance.
truly violet Posted - 02/25/2009 : 06:18:34 AM
i think i am just coming out to your house shelia
i will have 6 tunis fleeces.....(whole not even skirted)
and two bfl fleeces.......the same way
oh man

i really need to start to spin more
or i gotta send it all OUT to be spun

http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with goat, sheep, ducks & chickens!
Boogie Posted - 02/24/2009 : 7:05:58 PM
And if you're doing fleece, I think the electric Strauch is better than the PG. Unless you're doing mostly fine fibers. The PG is really set up for fine fibers and blending. I think the Strauch is great for working fleece, especially those that aren't really fine. JMO

amy
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com/wp
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com
Shelia Posted - 02/24/2009 : 08:19:14 AM
Yes, yes, please load'em up and come visit, Vi!

Sorry, I don't have any comments about the David drum carder or the Kitten, though I can put in a good word for the Strauch carders and the Patrick Green electric carders. If you're going to be processing whole fleeces I would save up and go for an electric. I've tested the new Strauch electric and it s very nice, just wasn't available when I got my PG. Hand cranking is fine for color blending and small amounts of wool, but processing large amounts is a LOT of arm strain.

Shelia
sksspinner Posted - 02/24/2009 : 05:29:08 AM
I just found this post but would like to add my 2 cents!

Just about 3 weeks ago, I bought a Kitten drum carder from Ron Anderson. IT IS AWESOME!! I wanted quality but didn't want to spend all my money - what would I buy fiber with?! I've put it to the test since I'm creating chunky, funky art yarn type batts full of stuff. When I had questions prior to and after buying, Ron was great with email responses and suggestions. I'm having a great time with it and highly reccommend it.

sks
truly violet Posted - 02/23/2009 : 3:55:23 PM
i can't believe this thread is still going

i still haven't gotten me a drum carder
although i am hoping i am closer to getting one

i have a ton of fleeces to process
oye

maybe i should take myself and my fleeces and go see shelia?

http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with goat, sheep, ducks & chickens!
dj524 Posted - 02/22/2009 : 8:40:51 PM
I've read through this thread and was hoping someone had experience with the David carder by the Howard Brush company. It has 3 drums and is supposed to process the fiber with fewer passes through the carder. My spinning teacher has a PG supercarder with 3 drums and really likes that. Any insight...?

Donna
yayoe Posted - 02/03/2009 : 11:00:48 AM
Hi Fiberfriends.

I'm about to buy a drum carder and am leaning towards the Strauch Petite for financial, amount of use foreseen, and minor space issues.

Before I hit the "buy now" button, I would still like to hear some feedback from anyone who has experience with a Fancy Kitty or Kitten carder. The price of the Kitten is very good, and I've seen lots of praise for the gorgeous looks of the more expensive Kitty, but how well do they work to card fleeces? I will be doing some blending and carding of prepared fiber, but I will definitely want to card fleeces. Doing Cormo by hand now.

Thanks for any feedback!
stseraphina Posted - 07/03/2008 : 3:23:47 PM
I'm selling my Petite (two months old!) because I'm just doing so much carding it is inadequate for my needs. It's a great little carder, but I'm doing full fleeces and needing pounds of carded wool, not just a project here and there.

It's the factory-assembled Petite, with brush attachment, like new (except for a few little fluffs!) with all tools, etc. Contact me if you're interested!

stseraphinaknits@msn.com

"You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd." Flannery O'Connor
Shelia Posted - 06/09/2008 : 12:17:28 PM
(I'm catching up after a long weekend away)

I have a Strauch drum carder, and the way that I am able to card fine fibers without nepping is to pick well, card only a very small amount of fiber at a time, and turn the handle very, VERY slowly. It's such a temptation to crank the handle, especially when daydreaming, but that just creates more nepping.

Shelia
Shelia Posted - 06/09/2008 : 12:11:42 PM
I have a PG triple picker, and I really like it. I could definitely spin what comes out of the picker, but unless you like yarn with a little texture, or you're drafting it out very thinly, it will still need to be carded. It's great for opening up matted fiber, and for color blending. I also use it when the fleeces have a lot of VM, it really works well to get a lot of that out.

Shelia
Kade1301 Posted - 06/09/2008 : 12:08:16 PM
Sounds like a plan! Actually, that reminds me, I don't have any minicombs yet...

Happy spinning! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
lesleyluu Posted - 06/09/2008 : 08:09:11 AM
Thanks for the advice! I've been reading a lot about the mini combs, and the 2 pitch ones are suggested for finer wools. They also are a lot less expensive. It is still going to take a while before I have any spending money, so I'll be continuing with the dog slicker and rake for a while. But I'd like to try the mini combs, and I figure that if they don't work on my current fleeces, there will be fleeces in the future that they will work for.

I tried to live with the neps and do a lumpy yarn, but since it wasn't my original intention, I didn't like it too much. I do have plenty of shorter cuts and neps that I'm combing out and my plan for that is to run it through the carder and make something bumpy on purpose.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe