Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When Yarn is Victimized!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hissyknit Posted - 07/14/2006 : 5:14:13 PM
A couple of days ago, a stranger and his lady friend walked by me at Mickey D's while my kids were torturing each other on the playground. I was knitting, of course. The man, using his greasy fingers, has the gall to handle my Blue Sky. Salty, greasy fingerprints are now on my working yarn!! Before I could say anything, one of my kids got stuck in the tunnel and I had to do a rescue. By the time I got back, the criminal and his paramour had escaped. I considered filing a temporary restraining order against them but the judge in the county I was in has no sense of humor (believe me, after 11 years of working in CPS and family violence shelters, I know--he's just squats in his robe and scowls)

This brings me to my question--In what situation has your yarn been assaulted and how did you deal with it?

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mamid Posted - 07/24/2006 : 09:37:53 AM
DS's latest yarn abuse - he took some acrylic I have for baby stuff and used it on DP's bike. He also spun some around the bottom of a computer chair.

If it was anything but acrylic, I would have had his head. I'm usually more leniant with acrylic. usually.

The Last Thread
ozknitter Posted - 07/24/2006 : 08:41:14 AM
Hi,

The worst thing I've ever done to a ball of yarn is to knock over a polystrene cup of coffee with sugar in it all over it.

I finished knitting the sweater and washed it with Wool Mix.

Thank God it was fine, as it was very expensive Angora.

I have been much more careful in future.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.

HomekeepingGran Posted - 07/24/2006 : 07:44:56 AM
Your FIRST sweater? I would KILL them! Even if they didn't know what they were doing. Arrrrrgggghhh.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
kyrn60 Posted - 07/23/2006 : 7:25:41 PM
Do dogs count???? I had just finished knitting all the pieces for my first sweater (beautiful spring colors; teal, yellow, white, blue) put them in my bag then on the kitchen chair. There they sat all night. Went to church the next morning and when I came home and opened the door, I was greeted with a living room full of mangled yarn. As the tears were flowing down my face I took stock of the damage as the 3 culprits ran out the door. Thank goodness only a sleeve was destroyed and the rest of the decorations came from an unraveled leftover skein. I think the neighbors still wonder what kind of a person stands in their driveway with yarn trailing all around them yelling at the 3 large dogs that still stare adoringly at her.
jayklingel@yahoo.com Posted - 07/21/2006 : 07:43:19 AM
My dog, Emma, when she gets rambunctious and takes off with my current project's yarn caught in her collar's buckle. I never scold...I just suck up my lower lip and figure out where I am in the pattern.
mamid Posted - 07/20/2006 : 10:10:19 PM
depends on the red heart. Some of it is actually useful for kids stuff. Other? crafts. definately crafts. Not knitting or crocheting.

The Last Thread
KnittAR Posted - 07/20/2006 : 9:52:26 PM
I save red heart just for kids projects, or tying junk up. I didn't think that counted as yarn abuse. Poor red heart.

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
mamid Posted - 07/20/2006 : 5:06:42 PM
definately not ducts.

I use it for similar things too. I used it to build a fence - stupid red heart acrylic so icky I should have thrown it out. DS uses it for pulley experiments. I just lost about 4 or 5 metres of a Patons yarn today thanks to him. I don't think the computer chair will ever be the same.

The Last Thread
Tabbico Posted - 07/20/2006 : 3:49:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Janice

I use waste yarn the way guys use duct tape. It's a drawer pull on a storage dresser. It's holding together some broken headphones.

Janice

ROFLMAO!!! So do I! I use it instead of ribbon on gifts and to tie my computer wires together. When my fan belt let go a few years ago, I had some yarn in my car and used it to juryrig a makeshift belt that allowed me to limp home. I also used some to tie together my wheel fairing on my airplane after it lost a bolt.

Who needs duct tape?

Polly
dschmidt Posted - 07/20/2006 : 2:06:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chellethinques
I still feel guilty about how I reacted, but after I cooled off we had a good talk about not messing with other people's projects

Don't feel guilty -- it is better to learn some of these lessons from the people who love us than some boss down the road, who can fire us. Losing one's cool is very human and children are very forgiving if it is not a constant behavior. Since you had a lovely discussion and he learned from it, let it go. You're both better people now.

Donna in VA
andielib Posted - 07/20/2006 : 12:59:01 PM
I know this is totally antisocial, but I hate knitting in the lunchroom at work. Every 30 seconds someone else comes in the room and says, "Oooh, what are you making? Who's it for? Can I see? Blah Blah Blah..." and I have to stop knitting so they can see, and in another 30 seconds someone else comes in and I have to have the same conversation all over again. I am a friendly person and I like talking about my knitting, but this is EXACTLY THE SAME conversation over and over ad nauseum and I don't get any knitting done.

Not as bad as getting your knitting slimed, but it drives me crazy.
JannyW Posted - 07/20/2006 : 12:36:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by llinn

The fact that my husband still breaths is testament only to my tolerance and his speed. He likes to wait until I'm trying to count cast on stitches or verify a stitch coundt and spew out random numbers as I am counting under my breath. Since this inevitably confuses me and I loose my count...

Isn't it amazing how people will do that? Makes me furious!!

I passed my knitting to a friend to "see how nicely this yarn works up" ... she took it from me and in the process pulled it completely off the needles. It was a lacy pattern, so it unraveled all over itself. I eventually had to frog the whole thing & start it over.

I usually take my knitting to Weight Watchers, and invariably someone will come over to see what I'm doing. Unfortunately, since it's a morning meeting, people are usually eating breakfast after they weigh-in. Granola, yogurt, even oatmeal, have been deposited on whatever my current project is. Yuck

~~Jan~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-- John Lennon
Janice Posted - 07/20/2006 : 10:52:35 AM
I use waste yarn the way guys use duct tape. It's a drawer pull on a storage dresser. It's holding together some broken headphones.

Janice
weB2cats Posted - 07/20/2006 : 10:21:29 AM
I meticulously wash my hands before touching [any] knit project I'm working on. that way, I do not have to wash anything in the end. In the summer I love to work on knits and can't see stretching the yarns further with unnecessary washings. I can't believe someone would go to all the work of making a lovely cotton item and then taking a chance of stretching it. Nobody touches my yarn, except the playful swat by kitten initiating play. But no no to kitty. Those claws can shred yarn like no tool yet invented![**]
lacylaine Posted - 07/20/2006 : 09:19:03 AM
I recently bought a Mini Kacha Kacha from Patternworks. It is green and has a hole at the end to thread a cord through. I wear it around my neck. Even knitting at home, no matter where I placed my counter, I would have to hunt for it at the end of every row/round! Now I can't lose it. Also, it does have a tiny lever on it to lock the numbers in place. Don't have any tricksters around here but some of you might want to get one. Come to think of it, get two, one for you and one for hubby!

I never thought of it as yarn abuse but I do use some of the more brightly colored Redheart to tie things up in the garden. It's also handy to tie a longish piece onto any branches you plan to clip over the winter. Come January, the bright colors remind me to get to work!

Melanie in Indiana

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2 FOs; 6 to go!
cshardie Posted - 07/20/2006 : 08:21:38 AM
I just realized I have plenty of examples of someone else mauling my yarn. With pictures! http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardielander/188508143/ The next photo in the set shows the rest of the ball as it continued on through the french doors into the back yard....

My 3 year old loves to run off with my working yarn and "hide" the ball. Usually I can just re-wrap it from wherever I'm sitting. But sometimes I have to track down the ball and clean it up a bit. With all the mentions of grease and food spoiling yarn, I probably should start paying more attention to where she runs with mine. But it's usually not very expensive yarn and she usually only runs through the house and stuffs it into one of her dresser drawers.

I don't think [iI've[/i] done anything particuarly nasty to my yarn, yet. But I'm new at knitting, there's still time.
RobA Posted - 07/20/2006 : 08:12:16 AM
quote:
I've never gotten the "You're knitting wrong." comment - Mostly the "That's for girls!" 'cause I'm a boy. :P I just say "So's dating boys, but I do that too!"

Aidan, that's hilarious. I suddenly discovered that I have a cop voice, when my sister stepped toward my knitting back and reached for something gorgeous I was knitting. I heard myself roar, "Step AWAY from the yarn." The entire family cracked up.

On the other hand, the kitty honeymoon has ended, and one of my new cats, who at first appeared to be ignoring my yarn, is discovering it in places I had forgotten about! Found her walking out of the guest room holding a skein of Jo Sharp DK in her mouth. I am not sure what kind of sound came out of my mouth but both cats bolted, leaving yarn behind. And I am waiting for a coffee disaster -- I keep noticing how close to my knitting those coffee cups get.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
mkfromKansas Posted - 07/20/2006 : 06:19:43 AM
My yarn abuse comes to mind when I am frogging some ill-conceived garment and I am hand re-winding the yarn into a ball. It reminds me of the times I was braiding my girls hair and pulled way too tight in the vain hope it would stay neat at least to 9 a.m. Am I striving to stretch my yarn into submission? My kids hair never got subdued either.
charitablecrafters Posted - 07/20/2006 : 05:16:29 AM
While knitting on the bus, I dropped my yarn on the floor. As I was at the front of the bus, it naturally rolled under all the seats and ended up on the floor at the back of the bus. It was a very Zen moment...I learned in a heartbeat about impermanence. I broke the yarn off my project and put the needles back in my purse. Thankfully it wasn't alpaca!

Tina
www.charitablecrafters.org
Queen Knitsalot Posted - 07/20/2006 : 05:06:47 AM
While frogging a couple of rows of an Aran style sweater and cursing under my breath at the stoooopid mistake I made I had to stop for something or another and leave the room for a while. When I returned, my entire sweater back had been ripped out and rolled neatly into a ball. Standing there speechless, I looked at hubby. "Did that help?" he asks so sweetly? As a result of the next few moments of temporary insanity on my part he circles around any knitting he sees giving about a three foot margin. And this was years ago!!
The worst I have treated yarn: When I was about 8 yo and my Gramma gave me a hank of some tangled up stuff and told me if I could untangle it I could have it. I didn't have funds for yarn (25 cents a week allowance) So I readily agreed. After about two hours of trying to untangle it I lost it. Got Moms "good scissors" and chopped that mess into itty bitty slivers. I then took it all outside and buried it in the garden so no one would know.[:00]

suzanne
"The most wasted day in all our lives is the day on which we have not laughed"--I wish I knew

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe