Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 ever caught knitting on the job?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sketcher Posted - 09/13/2006 : 2:33:18 PM
I'm way too busy to knit at work (public library). But someone came in and had a little bit of a knitting mess on their hands. Since I didn't have any other patrons asking for help or needing to be checked out - I went ahead and showed how to fix the problem. It didn't take very long. The director came out as we were finishing up and gave me the hairy eyeball. Honestly, he sits and reads the paper & checks his stock listings in the office. At least I was helping a patron. Reference work, right? Small town - never hurts to be helpful so also Public Relations. He hasn't said anything yet. And maybe he won't. Or if he does, it'll be on my evaluation.

So, just wondering. Any stories out there?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
starfire385 Posted - 10/28/2006 : 09:36:29 AM
Hopefully no one will be offended by this post...but, I am an exotic dancer and I get to knit at work. It's usually really slow for the first few hours of the night, so I knit in the back during part of that time. I actually taught 4 other girls how to knit so far (they are all completely obsessed just like me), and there are two more that want to learn. :) customers think that all kinds of insanity goes on in the back, but really we are knitting. Oh yeah, and management definitely doesn't care. Right now, between us we have a shawl, a pillow, a bag and two scarves in progress. Also, I find it hilarious, none of my regular friends have any interest in knitting, but when I started knitting at work everyone there wanted to learn.
abt1950 Posted - 09/30/2006 : 12:45:30 PM
Last time I knit in my office, one of my students came in and admired my quilting.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
ThreadBndr Posted - 09/30/2006 : 12:33:36 PM
I always have my travel knitting with me at work. I don't often knit ask my desk (except on weekends when waiting for invoices to print), but on my lunch break I can usually get almost a full hour in. There have been times I've snuck off to the ladies room on a really stressful day and knit a round or two on the current sock just to calm my nerves.

It's a lot less harmful than a cigarette!

Karla
http://threadsandstring.blogspot.com/

You mean I CAN'T take all this yarn with me?

Then I'm not going.
njzube@aol.com Posted - 09/29/2006 : 2:51:34 PM
I didn't have to get "caught" as I knitted openly in meetings. I worked for a large corporation who expected us to attend "diversity" classes. I explained that when my hands are busy my mind hears better, and please respect my "diversity". I never had a problem!
knitting_physicist Posted - 09/19/2006 : 8:47:39 PM
Everyone who gets to knit at work...I am so jealous.

I suppose I technically COULD knit at work, since right now I am in a classroom being trained. But there is just something funny about the image of me sitting in a room full of guys and knitting a scarf or something in my uniform (camoflage most days) while listening about super satellites or whatever. In a room full of guys.

Yeah...we have all had a few good laughs imaging that. But, if I get missile duty, I can knit my entire 24-72 hour shift if I want. I see my knitting time skyrocketing if that happens. The only nice thing about the potential of ending up in North Dakota.

-Sarah
No...gravitational physics makes the world go round.
Margie Posted - 09/18/2006 : 10:17:49 PM
Sketcher -

Your library boss sounds like one we (finally!!) got rid of.

I am the Head Senior Most Valuable volunteer at my library and was knitting there today after I finished sorting books. I was tired and had to sit down for a while. Today I was behind closed doors; sometimes I KIP, other times in the lunch room.

Then there was the time I took my knitting to a city council meeting. Tom, the city manager, told me, "Margie, when people stand at the left microphone you're on (city cable) TV." My reply was that at least *I* was getting something done and not just talking, talking. He agreed. I sit right there in the front row.

Nearly took my knitting to the library commission meeting tonight. Some people asked me why I didn't have it!

Margie
2trees Posted - 09/18/2006 : 11:47:43 AM
quote:
Crosspatch draw the latch
Sit by the fire and spin
Take a cup and drink it up
And then let your neighbors in.

I have never understood that rhyme until just now.

"Knitting lace has the highest entertainment value." - Yarn Harlot
kdcrowley Posted - 09/18/2006 : 10:17:57 AM
Yep, I knit at work.....in my 'high-powered' corporate job, I spend literally hours on the phone with folks around the world each day. If I don't knit, I am cruising the internet, reading email or all manner of other things that interfere with my following the meeting....

If I knit, I am totally engaged.....and on days where I am writing or doing something more creative, I spend more time knitting to just let ideas percolate. I think it makes me more productive....as does working at home....something about the workplace is just counterproductive for me.

I do try however not to spend too much time, or knit when boss comes round. But I do notice that the meetings that I have to sit in, I fidget, I doodle, I have a horrid time paying attention....to the point that it really interferes with my foccussing on the meeting.

And training classes are great, because it's hard core knitting time, right?!

I sat through 3 days of training once, and knit the whole time, very quietly with the project down low....the trainers and the folks at my table all watched. Later, they came to see what I was doing, at which point, I mentioned that I was not being rude....to which the trainer said, well at first I was concerned, but then saw how engaged you are in the class and so I did not worry about!

Would that everyone was more focussed on the results and less on appearances!

Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

www.ceallachdyes.com

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
somervil@yahoo.com Posted - 09/18/2006 : 08:19:37 AM
A member of Vermont's state congress knits through all the hearings and such. If she can do it...

I was recently in a week-long training course and worked on a simple project during one of the session. A few people noticed and asked what I was working on but I wasn't really "caught."

Last year I was working on a big project that involved waiting around for hours on end late into the evening. Everyone on the team would sit around, twidling our thumbs together. I finally broke out my needles to make the waiting easier. Noone reprimanded me. But recently at a large conference my boss was introducing me as part of the team and commented to the ENTIRE CONFERENCE about my knitting. Not in a bad way but I was still a little embarassed.

I'm not afraid of KIP but when it comes to work, I don't do it when I need to be activly engaged. I usually knit during my lunch break (in the lunch room, away from my desk) and occassionally when I'm passively listening to a conference call or something like that. I definitely think it helps me focus but I'm concious that others may not understand that so I'm not very flagrant with it. That said, I look forward to a job where I can knit to my heart's content!
Pete Posted - 09/18/2006 : 06:44:50 AM
Great topic! Well, one of my jobs is knitting (and designing and pattern writing), but my other job is substitute teaching. I get to knit quite a bit when subbing. I usually take a simple project--usually socks--and it makes for a great conversation starter. One time in a sixth-grade class, as the students finished their assignment, one-by-one they came up to me. First, the ones who knit or crochet--I even let a couple of them work on projects I had with me with one of them doing Magic Loop!--and then others. They loved it! We had a little knitting group going.

I loved reading all the posts on this topic, but of course, the ones about school (and meetings) perked me up the most. It is so true that knitting can help you pay better attention. It's like doodling/drawing. I also know people who listen better in class and at meetings if they can doodle. When I used to teach full-time, I learned that it was okay to let a student draw or doodle while I lectured. You assume they are bored or just not paying attention, but that's not necessarily so. Just like knitting. People assume that if you are knitting at a meeting or in class, that it's disrespectful. I say it relaxes you and focuses you so that you can listen better!

One last little observation. One high school where I substitute has a few girls who whip out their knitting during down time or silent reading time, and it's just generally accepted. Isn't that great? If only all schools were like that!

I say, if you can, bring out the knitting. The more people see us doing this in all kinds of different environments, the better for promoting the craft and educating people.

www.figheadh.com
http://figknits.blogspot.com
Why ain't I knittin'?
bbliss67@msn.com Posted - 09/17/2006 : 10:16:16 AM
I always take my knitting to work and hang it in the lunch room. Then I feel I am not tied to the job and an end is in sight when I see my knitting. I knit at lunch, we aren't paid for lunch, and the manager always ask how it is going. In fact, I made her a purse for her birthday!
ikelers_holler Posted - 09/16/2006 : 11:40:16 AM
One more note, we knew we were on camera the whole time, but never heard a word about it. Tee Hee!

~nancy in NC~
ikelers_holler Posted - 09/16/2006 : 11:35:41 AM
This is great! I work at Wal-Mart and was in the accounting office with 3 other ladies. This was a tiny room locked away from the world with all the world's cash in it. One day the young lady I was with asked me if I could show her some crochet stitches and whipped out a skein of yarn and a hook. I showed her some things and she was off and crocheting and so happy. We were very engrossed in this and suddenly we heard keys turning the lock on the outer door (inner room had a monitor to see who was coming in thru the outer room-whatever!!!). We looked up in time to see the butt (large) of one of the big cheeses who we knew would not be impressed with what we were doing. Only having a second to react, we grabbed the trash can and stuffed the yarn in and pushed it way back under the counter. I grabbed a handful of bills and began counting and sorting like I was doing something important. She pulled out a file drawer and was flipping files. We knew if we even remotely looked at each other we would double over laughing. Fortunately he didn't need to discuss too much and left rather quickly and we just fell on the floor laughing harder than I can remember. Neither of us work in that dept any more but we still crack up from the fun of it. I knit on break now. Wish I could knit all day and get paid. ***sigh***

~nancy in NC~
calicokitty6 Posted - 09/16/2006 : 09:46:26 AM
Irishmom, I know what you mean. I worked as a CNA on third shift for about a year. If I didn't have a crochet hook in my hand, it would have been hard not to drift off sometimes in the dark halls. I used to walk laps around the hall to stay awake sometimes. (about a mile a night to help with the weight loss)

I tried to learn knitting at that time also, but I just couldn't get it that well. We had plenty to keep us busy, but still had a good amount of down time when the patients were sleeping. I went on first shift after that, and the only knitting/crochet time was my lunch break time.

Namid, I would be surprised if granny was permitted to knit around psychiatric patients. At my hospital, if you are working in the psych building, you can't bring anything like that in. One person got in trouble for knitting near an unpredictable patient.

=^..^= Debbie [meow] http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
KL Posted - 09/16/2006 : 07:54:38 AM
I worked for THE BOSS FROM HELL, a Sr. VP. of Advertising.

But fortunately, our work was basically conducted in another building on site of the Corporate Offices.

Often we would have down time between the production of catalogs. Or very short days of shooting.

Then everyones needles came out-whether knitting, crocheting or needlpoint-and that included the guys.

One afternoon, I walked into a makeup room and found one of the Stylists working on a beautiful afghan. " I said, OMG, how beautiful! Could I hire you to make me one????"

It turned out that the afghan was my wedding present- she was busted by me coming in, so she just kept knitting, and said"I'll have to see if I can find the time".

KL
mamid Posted - 09/15/2006 : 11:46:37 PM
granny was a psychiatric nurse and she was always knitting something. Not sure if she was knitting at work, but she always had several projects on the go at home.

My mother crocheted at work, but more importantly, at the court house when she transfered from welfare worker to child support enforcement. She made tons of snowflakes, doilies and more.

Me? I am currently still on the "rest" portion of my pregnancy. If I don't have the energy to do chores, I can sit and knit or crochet for hours. I just finished an afghan today that, even before all the threads were weaved in and the fringe put on, DD climbed into my lap, snuggled into it and was asleep in my arms. She's been waiting for it patiently since the first ch st. It will take me about an hour or two of weaving and fringing for it to be finished tomorrow, if she'll let me at it.

But, yes, when I did work and training, if I wasn't knitting, I was crocheting, or origami, or cross stitch, or embroidery. People kept on asking me what I was doing and I'd tell them.

My next project? A baby hat or three. Then I'll start working on Icarus again. Maybe. *sigh*

The Last Thread
adalton124 Posted - 09/15/2006 : 7:20:10 PM
I'm fortunate in that when I'm not physically working (I'm a personal chef and I cook for a fraternity during the school year) I can be sitting and knitting. As long as lunch and dinner are served on time I can knit whenever I have free time. The guys certainly don't mind, even if they're not interested in my projects. Plus my LYS is a 5 min drive from my kitchen so I can pop in during my longer stretches of free time. Lovely!

Angela
mamacita Posted - 09/15/2006 : 5:57:47 PM
Rhonda,

That's why I work-to pay for the yarn! Why else would you subject yourself to long hours on your feet, lifting obese patients by yourself, cleaning vomit and feces, straightening out trainwrecks left by clueless residents, calming families while maintaining your composure with a full bladder, empty stomach and no respect from those who do not understand that your job is nothing like the way it portrayed on TV? No really......I love my job and would never think of giving it up. It is all worth it at the end of the day (except maybe the full bladder part). Knowing that I can make a difference in the day of a family holding vigil at the bedside of a loved one or explain what is really going on with care and treatment is worth it all. But maybe just once it would be great to pull out the yarn and needles. Calming for sure!

Cheryl
Rhonlynn Posted - 09/15/2006 : 5:10:21 PM
I read this forum and decided to comment, knitting? I don't even have time to sit down and take a lunch, 8 hours on my feet, passing narcotics, and doing fingersticks, and treatments. I wish I could have time to knit or even cross stitch. I need a new job!

--Rhonda
irishmomof9 Posted - 09/15/2006 : 1:35:52 PM
As a NICU RN in a large Washington, DC hospital years ago, I was lucky enough to work the graveyard shift. Knitting was the only way I was able to stay awake during the wee small hours, when I wasn't busy with my tiny charges! On the occasions I didn't bring knitting to do, I would begin to drift into a bottomless pit of exhaustion, and was "gone" for the rest of the shift. Coffee was no help - only knitting. But I certainly got a lot of my Christmas and birthday presents finished! And, even if I do say so myself, those babies got the best of care!

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.54 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe