Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 Now, What is IN your bag?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
knitwitt Posted - 11/06/2006 : 4:27:42 PM
Besides your project, that is. I used to have a very bare-bones set of notions and tools in a pencil bag, until I got a real knitting bag to take everywhere. I figured I should do justice to it by packing everything:

1. Small notebook for shopping lists, wish lists, sketches, etc. I like Moleskine notebooks because they have a pocket in the back, and an elastic band to hold it all together. I have a business card-sized needle inventory in the pocket. Mine is quad-ruled, for charting lace or colorwork.

2. Variety of stitch markers, holders, coil-less pins.

3. Pen and highlighter

4. Post its

5. Yarn needles

6. Cable needle

7. Calculator

8. Needle/stitch gauge, tape measure, sewing gauge (ruler with slide marker thingy).

9. The Knitter's Companion

10. Extra needles for whatever projects are in the bag. For a long trip that might include yarn-buying, I'd pack my Denise kit as well.

11. Pattern(s) of whatever projects are in the bag - copied and in sheet protectors.

12. Current catalog or magazine, if I happen to have one, sometimes a book with projects I am thinking about.

13. Crochet hook

14. Selection of row counters

15. Selection of point protectors

16. Nail file

17. Small scissors and thread cutter

I think that's it! Doesn't seem like this much, all tucked neatly in the pockets!

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fiberqat@gmail.com Posted - 11/19/2006 : 12:12:57 PM
I have my "knitter's survival bag" with me at all times with my project in a fun school pencil bag.

Tape measure
Inox needle gauge (has both mms and US/UK sizes and is credit card size)
Size H crochet hook
Small box of markers
Chibi with needles
Fiskars child size scissors, round tip
Pen
Pad of paper

Over time it acquires additional items, like dp and circular needles, latex markers for row counting, a Peg-It, and lengths of yarn from stitching.
Corddrymum Posted - 11/18/2006 : 10:20:01 AM
Jennifer,
Thanks for telling me what at Chibi is. I was taking my yarn needle out of the cute little plastic tube and realized that I had a Chibi all along!
Robin C
Margie Posted - 11/15/2006 : 3:50:32 PM
I have my (one of my) current project(s) in the bag and often a book. I use public transit. There's always water, too. And a crochet hook.

Other than that, just one project of knitting. I don't drive so don't want to carry extra things.

Considering I received it at the library, sometimes it's also my library bag.

Margie
Marie Posted - 11/12/2006 : 5:37:06 PM
This may seem weird, and may just be a peeve of mine alone, but I hate having my hair in my way when I'm knitting, so I always have a couple of elastics or scrungies tucked in my knitting bags. Especially when the knitting hits a snag and I really feel like I want nothing in my field of vision to distract me, I can make a pony tail and bend my head over in full concentration without having my light blocked.

The elastics have come in handy as occasional point protectors, too.

Marie
scraffan Posted - 11/11/2006 : 7:15:55 PM
Ok, I have a small bag that I put inside my traveling knitting bag.
The small bag has all the extra neccessities.
Cable hook
Stitch holders
Stitch makers
The one that can be used when sewing pieces together as well
2 tapestry needles
tape measure
gauge measure
sticky pad
pen
extra pair of needles
-------
After I place that in my bag, I place patterns that I will soon be working on, along with whatever pattern I am currently working on. (Each on in sheet protectors)
Extra yarn for the project and of course the project itself. (The one that will be traveling tomorrow will be my Fair Isle set I am working on. I have one completed mitten. A second mitten 90% done and I will be starting the hat tomorrow.)
Once I finish the whole set, I am debating whether or not to try to design my own sweater with the Fair Isle pattern. Have the pattern around the neckline and on the wrists. Only thing is I have never designed a sweater before so I would have no idea about how to do this...
Scraffan
knitwitt Posted - 11/10/2006 : 09:51:20 AM
Chibi is a brand of darning/yarn needles. They come in sets of three (different sizes) in an adorable plastic tube. I love them. :)

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Corddrymum Posted - 11/10/2006 : 07:53:22 AM
At the risk of sounding really ignorant, what is a chibi?
Thanks,
Robin
cozystitches Posted - 11/10/2006 : 07:27:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Terryknits

I knit then felted a large knitting bag using Knit Picks wool of the Andes. The bag is burgundy with light blue, dark blue and orange flowers and green leaves knit using the Intarsia method. I topped it off by adding extra flowers I made from the yarn. I mitered the bottom so it will stand up. I then lined the bag creating various compartments for my “stuff”. It closes with a magnetic snap and has 2 handles. When I carry the bag around with my current project in public places, there is much interest in the bag from knitters and non-knitters alike. Let’s face it, I was a show off. I love the feedback and it was fun to create.

I need to see a picture of this bag... :D I love bags. Currently, in my "Purse", which also doubles as the knitting and diaper bag, only carries a ball of yarn and needles (granny's fav dishcloth pattern is memorized). The other bag, carries what ever project I bring to the park and lotion. I'm no where near as organized as the rest of you..

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Sticks and String Posted - 11/10/2006 : 07:15:21 AM
Tammy...

I emailed you!

Jo
hillstreetmama Posted - 11/10/2006 : 06:38:10 AM
Project with next ball of yarn.
Photocopy of pattern.
Tiny crochet hook for dropped stitches
Pen
Small Dovo scissors
Small 2" swatch holding large-eye needle and 1 coilless safety pin
Eclipse wintergreen gum
Aquaphillic lotion in tiny Clinique jar

Jan
ozknitter Posted - 11/09/2006 : 7:14:51 PM
Hi,

I am ashamed to say that I have many knitting bags, but usually end up bunging everything into my handbag, which is pretty huge, knitting, needles, spare wool, pattern and tape measure.

I should set up my own knitting bag, but I feel like an idiot walking around with 2 huge bags, I feel like a bag lady.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
mommybird@verizon.net Posted - 11/09/2006 : 7:01:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sticks and String
a short ivory crochet hook that was DH's grandmother's
Jo

Jo, I'd like to know more about this crochet hook. We found something like this in my grandmother's knitting supplies just this week. You are welcome to email me outside of the forum.

Tammy in OR
Katheroni Posted - 11/09/2006 : 3:18:40 PM
I carry a messenger bag in leiu of a proper purse, so I throw in my latest project or two. Then I throw in a little zipper bag (like a pencil bag) with
-measuring tape & sewing gauge
-Some scrap yarn
-folding scissors
-copy of pattern & pen & post-its
-stitch markers
-2 crochet hooks
-yarn needles.

It's totally transferrable!
gottaknitit Posted - 11/09/2006 : 2:34:15 PM
I really lucked out and found this fantastic bag at a classy second hand store for under $20. It was originally from bath and body works, or so the label says. It has several pockets in the lining, including a zipper pocket. It has large sturdy handles and a hinged and snap closure with a leather bottom. It's large enough to hold an over sized yarn ball and my current large sweater I'm knitting. I put only the currently needed supplies in the pockets and a pad of paper and pencil/pen. If I keep the largest pocket empty except for my yarn and WIP, I can leave the yarn in and just pull it out as needed, knitting right out of the bag! I am so excited about this bag! I looked for years and couldn't find one with all the pockets and space I needed. I have knitting baskets at home for other projects and odds and ends.
Little Kitty Posted - 11/09/2006 : 2:31:24 PM
My "knitting bag" usually has to do double, sometimes triple, duty as knitting carrier, work purse and diaper bag.

For the knitting itself I use a large ziplock for the WIP, a copy of the pattern and a spare skein. I always take a sunglasses case (the hardsided kind) that contains 3 or 4 crochet hooks, a chibi, a tiny box of stitch markers, small scissors, a set of DPNs, 2 stitch holders, a pen and a row counter for circular needles.

Despite attempts to be more organized than this, I always end up with exactly those things in my bag. Sometimes I carry a reference book but usually only on long trips.

~~ Lynette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Gathering of Wool
Terryknits Posted - 11/09/2006 : 2:11:47 PM
I knit then felted a large knitting bag using Knit Picks wool of the Andes. The bag is burgundy with light blue, dark blue and orange flowers and green leaves knit using the Intarsia method. I topped it off by adding extra flowers I made from the yarn. I mitered the bottom so it will stand up. I then lined the bag creating various compartments for my “stuff”. It closes with a magnetic snap and has 2 handles. When I carry the bag around with my current project in public places, there is much interest in the bag from knitters and non-knitters alike. Let’s face it, I was a show off. I love the feedback and it was fun to create.
honeybee33 Posted - 11/09/2006 : 12:40:40 PM
oooh, suzanne, I'm so jealous! maybe someone will heed my hints and get me a KIPer set for a holiday present.

I always have at least my mini-tools bag - lil plastic see-thru zippered case with just snips, retractable tape measure, and chibi - and my knitting knotebook - http://web.mac.com/honeybee33/iWeb/Site/KnitBlog/E4EBECA8-1060-432E-AB48-F34CB0A86B71.html for a blog-entry (sorry, can't figure out how to do a better link here!).

From there, according to the needs of the particular project, I'll add an additional, larger plastic see-thru zippered case with, as needed, stitch markers, stitch holders, crochet hook, cable needle, etc.

My "swatching kit" is a zippered CD case with the Plymouth interchangeable bamboo set, 16" circs size #0-4 (in the plastic CD holders - those sizes aren't included in the set), one of those metal gauge-measuring/needle-sizer tools, and my lil mini gauge/swatch knotebook - where I keep a list of all the yarns I've ever swatched with their gauges at every needle size at which I ever swatched them, as well as any particular stitch-patterns charted out with the appropriate gauges I got.

*whew*, I just realized how OCD I am! [:00]

~ hb33 ~

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee ..." ~ Emily Dickinson

knitblog @: http://web.mac.com/honeybee33/
kbss@comcast.net Posted - 11/09/2006 : 12:24:32 PM
Wow. I love this topic. Thanks so much to the impatient knitter for creating the list of items for our knitting bags. i keeps almost everything noted in one pouch. that pouch sits in a basket near the couch where I knit in the evenings. i am creating another one for the basket near the chair (upstairs) where knit during the day when I am on working on the phone. I addition to all the great suggestions, I one that may not be original but is a lifesaver for me. I keep a project in my car and work on it only when I am out and about and forgot my traveling socks (which happens). That way i am never without something to do with my time. I can be found knitting at the doctors, in the bank, on line at Targetto, waiting for the valet to bring my car around (it's Los Angeles after all), waiting while my kids shop. It's more than a life-saver, it's a sanity savery.
Kathleen
knitting is my metaphor
suzanne@vetalaw.com Posted - 11/09/2006 : 11:14:09 AM
I have the KIP bags from KnitPicks, which I love. I used to carry a purse and a knitting bag, but with these bags, I just attach the purse organizer (which holds all the wallet stuff, phone, ipod, camera, lipstick, etc.) to whichever bag has the project I want to take along. The bags came with a small tool bag, which holds my tape measure, tapestry needles, crochet hook, scissors, needle sizer, pad of paper and pencil, and hand lotion. I transfer the tool bag to whichever bag I'm using, which holds the WIP, spare yarn, needles, and pattern. I did have to give up my wallet, which didn't fit in the purse organizer, but it hasn't really been a problem, since the organizer works as an oversized wallet, and I always have it with me.
godsend Posted - 11/09/2006 : 11:00:26 AM
Good thread.

I have three bags that I use regularly. I have two of the orange one skein on the go bags that I carry 1-3 balls of yarn in at any given time, a whole slew of different sized straights and a few circs and my clicker row counter, whatever pattern I'm using, an emory board, some stitch holders, some stitch markers, a tape measure, some small scissors, a couple darning needles, and a straight ruler. The big one is the purple artbin tote that I use to carry larger (or just more) projects and it has all of the above-only more needles, plus a book or two and/or a magazine.

Every now and again I will stick some knitting stuff in a regular purse too-the kind with the side compartments and a middle zipped section where I put the knitting stuff. Like when I go see a movie. Most times it's best for me to keep them separate though. I can't carry knit stuff in a regular purse all the time because I get back problems.

http://k1.knitblog.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe