Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 Kitchener for a lefty

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sarah@skhpottery.com Posted - 02/01/2007 : 10:32:06 AM
I had a student in my sock class who knits right handed, but just couldn't handle the needle in the right hand to do the kitchener. Does anyone have any photos or links to help with left handed Kitchener? I was at a loss to help her.
Sarah
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gwendoline king Posted - 12/02/2010 : 12:34:48 PM
could you please tell me if there is a digram on how to do tubular bind off in 1x1 rib and 2x2 rib for left handers thank you
norma Posted - 03/22/2007 : 1:45:30 PM
Hi to all!
My name is Norma jean.
I live in Portland Oregon.
Where I teach piano lessons
And I have thought left and right knitters to knit ..
I've been knitting left handed for many years..I thought myself to knit at the age of 10 years old.
I've work really hard on working with all the right handed patterns.
When any one is new to knitting I don't care if your right are left it takes time to learn.
More so for us lefty.
I'm coming out this fall with all left hand kintting patterns.
You name it!.from socks on five double- pointed needles.
And oh yes the kitchener stitch how to work with charts and many more.

I'm working on my website for my new line of left handed patterns.
I feel Its about time!
My e-mail is michaelnorma@comcast.net
Norma Jean Thanem.
P.S. E-mail me and I'll send you how to do a kitchener stitch the left way.
KAMAOR Posted - 03/15/2007 : 7:20:38 PM
The way that Eirual describes it is the way I do it. after watching the knitting help videos I tool a couple 1-12 stitch pieces of yarn and practiced converting it to suit my Left-handedness. and that was the way I got the Kitchner smooth
Being left handed I am used to looking at videos and watching people then applying it to how I do knit which is left handed combination.
Karen
eirual Posted - 03/15/2007 : 04:15:18 AM
I am pretty sure this is what you have to do. Hold the needles with the yarn on the LEFT side coming from the back needle. You do the kitchner the same as for a right handed person such that:

Front needle: into the first stitch as if to knit, take st off needle. Into the second as if to purl leave st on needle.
Back needle: into the first stitch as if to purl, take st off needle. Into the second st as if to knit leave st on needle.

In left handed knitting, entering the st as if to knit - with needle in left hand, insert needle into the st such that the left leg of the stitch is behind the needle (needle will be pointing away from you).
To enter a purl st, with needle in the left hand insert needle into the st such that the RIGHT leg of the st is behind the needle (needle will be pointing toward you because it is coming from behind the knitting). This assumes the sts are uncrossed such that the left leg of the st is sitting behind the needle, and the right leg of the st is sitting in front of the needle (same orientation if the knitting was done right handed)

sfgrandma Posted - 03/14/2007 : 11:01:15 PM
I struggled in my first sock class, Sarah, but then I mastered it using the directions in The Knitter's Companion. It works for me and I knit as a true lefty.
BB in NJ Posted - 02/21/2007 : 07:56:32 AM
I have to do Kitchener like a righty, I just could not translate the images to use my left hand.

BB in NJ

So much yarn, so little time

visit my blog: http://expknitter.blogspot.com/
eirual Posted - 02/21/2007 : 05:39:21 AM
What might be easiest is to do a "Sock Toe Chimney". Here is a description of the technique: http://www.tradewindknits.com/tbsoctoe.html. Basically, you use waste yarn and knit a few more rows at the end of the sock. You then tuck this extra bit into the sock, and to graft the toe - you just follow the yarn similar to doing duplicate stitch. I think that this would be easy to follow going either left to right or right to left...

Good luck.

Laurie
peggymchoe Posted - 02/20/2007 : 3:54:42 PM
After lots of trouble with kitchener, I think I may have finally cracked it! Instead of starting on the righthand side and moving right to left as instructions always tell you, I start on the lefthand side and move left to right. I think I was having trouble with the working yarn tail when I held the darning needle (in my left hand). The yarn tail would get caught and was probably ending up in the wrong place. This doesn't seem to be an issue if I start on the left.
leftpaw Posted - 02/01/2007 : 5:18:28 PM
If she knits right handed the yarn will be at the opposite end of the needles when she finishes so it seems like doing the kitchner stitch left handed will be a challenge. But other than that, as Fran said, the principals are the same.
fmarrs Posted - 02/01/2007 : 11:34:57 AM
Hold a mirror up to right handed pictures and look into the mirror. Right handed or left handed the principles are the same, follow the same path with the yarn in your needle that you would follow if it was a knitted row.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe