Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What are your knitting bad habits?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elkymama Posted - 02/09/2007 : 11:19:46 AM
Have you developed any knitting bad habits?
What do you do, if anything, to overcome these habits?

One thing I catch myself doing again and again is knitting on past a mistake, telling myself it won't be noticable. Then a couple of rows later, of course the mistake (such as a twisted stitch, a snarled stitch, slipping a stitch with the yarn in front,or getting off a stitch in a pattern) will be as obvious as a cat on the kitchen counter.

I'm still trying to figure out why I have to make extra work for myself this way. Instead of pulling out half a row, I wind up pulling out 2 or 3.

Now that I've noticed this repeated behavior, I vow I am going to correct errors as soon as I spot them. No more knitting on, hoping it won't show.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ndjen04 Posted - 02/21/2007 : 8:08:02 PM
I guess I hadn't realized it was a bad habit until reading this thread and doing a search of other threads to get more info, but I too am guilty of "pushing" the needle with my index finger. I noticed that I do it more often with smaller needles and smaller gauge objects. And I also do it when sliding the work closer to the tip of the left needle after working a few stitches. Does anyone have any suggestions how to break this habit?

Another one I have is not making a gauge swatch. This has only really been a problem once when I made mittens for my boyfriend. I made a few adjustments to a pattern that I thought would fit, but the mittens ended up bigger than expected. Since I'm away at school I couldn't have him try them on. Thankfully he loves them and wears them anyway!

Jen
scraffan Posted - 02/21/2007 : 5:12:08 PM
Jashasedai@wotmania.com
I would love to have a knitted hat that covers my ears.
Knitted or other material (store bought) it seems like I am constantly yanking on the material trying to cover my ears.
I have given up and got hooked on hoods.
Your hat that has a strange shape sounds like it would be right up my alley..
Karen
scraffan Posted - 02/21/2007 : 5:03:42 PM
rosie,
I can top you.
I wanted to try a 'small' project that had different things that could help me when I start a sweater.
Solution: baby romper. I get half way through the left side and the light bulb goes off in my head (I am single, I do not have a baby) what to do?
Like any good knitter I continue on...
As luck would turn out I get to the arm and I am bound and determined to finish it! That is when I found out a friend had a baby boy!
Fate was also on my side (I used sea-foam green) I had the perfect gift for a baby boy! It worked out great..And now I am going to be using these armshaping, neck shaping techiniques for my sweater! As I am doing a pullover for my first sweater I do not need to worry about button holes. Although I do see those in the future...

Karen
07 finished project
purse
preemie blankie
gloves
07 wips in progress
vest
sweater
dishcloth
LesleyKnits Posted - 02/21/2007 : 2:06:40 PM
Knots. There, my first admission that I put knots into my work. I have fears of unravelling projects!

Too often I let practicality guide my choices in yarn and patterns.

I also have problems with meaningless notes. I finished some UFOs lately and it's tough figuring out where I left off.

I also don't wash my swatches - if the gauge is right I usually frog it and start knitting!

I have a blog! http://honeybeeknits.blogspot.com/

Or skip straight to the pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85817420@N00/
Eiru Posted - 02/21/2007 : 08:16:38 AM
I'm lazy about swatching. I also blow off mistakes telling myself I will somehow cover it up later because I hate ripping out rows (whenever I do I can never keep track of the shaping and I always end up twisting stitches when I replace them on the needle.) If I accidently end up with the wrong number of stitches, I'll just increase or decrease in the row where I discover it rather than going back to find the source, for the same reason. I rationalize that the imperfections add to the handmade charm. :-)
~rosie~ Posted - 02/21/2007 : 08:16:01 AM
Oh, and I also have a bad habit of continuing to knit on something that is hopelessly too small or too large hoping that somehow it will magically right itself. [whatever]

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
To honor my sons: http://www.walkamerica.org/laborslovelost
~rosie~ Posted - 02/21/2007 : 08:06:05 AM
Hmmm, let's see...

I don't take notes.

I take the tips off of the cords, then forget which needles I was using (see above).

I start too many things, thereby REALLY forgeting what needle tips I'm supposed to use on those UFOs above.

I buy way too much yarn.

And, I don't check my gauge.

I'm a bad knitter, and I SAY I'm going to take notes and check gauge, but I never do.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
To honor my sons: http://www.walkamerica.org/laborslovelost
Jashasedai@wotmania.com Posted - 02/20/2007 : 11:22:14 PM
Wow, I didn't even know we were <i>supposed</i> to take notes.
*grimaces*

Bad habits-
Only Gauging...kind of. I knit an inch in each direction and then count the stitches. I don't know if that's wrong or just backwards. I don't wash them.

Pushing the needle.

Knitting when I'm too tired, after a drink, ect. I have a hat that starts 52 stitches wide, drops nearly into the 20's and cast off at 46 stitches. (it's ok, if you wear the short bit in the front, it covers your ears better.)

Frogging when it's not worth it, ignoring it when it is.

Good Habits-
Learning from my mistakes.

WIP: gold ribbed scarf, miniature gansey, crimson red and orange scarf, black cotton socks, blue fuzzy gloves, black and silver beanie
HomekeepingGran Posted - 02/18/2007 : 3:25:37 PM
Attempting to make changes when I'm such a new knitter I don't know what I'm doing anyway. (Making changes to patterns is a lifetime habit crossed over from sewing.)

"Pushing" with my index finger.

Not keeping notes. (Now what needle did I use on this swatch? Hmmmm.)

Not "shopping my stash" before I start a project. (Oh, you mean I already have 3 large skeins of pale pink for a baby blanket? Who would have thought...)

No suitable organization in needles, patterns OR yarn. Sigh. (At least it matches my fabric stash.)

Knitting on when my hands, wrists and shoulders are telling me to stop.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Shandy Posted - 02/18/2007 : 2:31:06 PM
I start difficult projects at 11 pm and then wonder why I miscounted my cast on row. Case in point, I started a lovely fair isle sweater from the first Jamieson book, can't remember the name of the cardigan. It was 11:00 pm, and I should have gone to bed, but I cast on 364 stitches and the 10 steek stitches.

Then I wondered as I knit off the first row the next day, why things weren't working out properly. I knit on, thinking it would be fine.

I am now in the process of tinking the first two rows.....I've done this so often, you'd think I'd know better. But i don't obviously!!!!!

Lynda
www.knittinginadaze.blogspot.com
Elysbeth Posted - 02/18/2007 : 12:59:35 PM
I am good about writing notes in a little notebook that goes in my bag, and I take a digital photo of the yarn and the pattern, store it on my computer, as a Stash Memory Refresher, but I am Terrible, Terrible, Terrible about not reading the pattern all the way through and knitting myself into a corner, or knitting past a point where something non negotable was supposed to happen.

We don't have to race if we are always where we like being.
scraffan Posted - 02/17/2007 : 1:09:38 PM
Another bad habit, that I found out today is knitting when I cannot mental concentrate.
I find myse;f skipping rows and making mistakes that I know I would not otherwise make...
Maybe the project I was working on was too simple for today. I finally gave up and but the pattern down..I am resting my arms/hands for awhile and then I will go back to knitting some time this evening.
I am just glad this happened this weekend, a long weekend for me so I have time to make up for frogging between Sunday and Monday..Also glad that I have no deadlines yet..(That will soon change)
Karen
Irish Red Posted - 02/17/2007 : 12:25:51 PM
Oh, this is so sad to admit..... and my list of sins is so long!!!

I never knit a swatch and I don't use a gauge. I figure if it doesn't fit the person for whom it was intended, it will fit someone. For some reason, those two things take all the fun out of it.

I also have 13 (yes, thirteen) sweaters unfinished. Most need only the collar or cuffs or a pocket.....Some need to just be sewn together. I get seduced by new yarn, a new pattern, something tactilly very different than what I am very nearly done with and I am off into distration.

Sad to confess, but all true

The Industrious Bee
scraffan Posted - 02/16/2007 : 8:38:27 PM
bethinz,
You nailed my biggest mistake on the head. I forgot about it until you mentioned it.knitting when I am too tired.
I had to frog the arm of my vest I am working on. I managed to skip making the armhole because I was too tired to pay attention to the directions....knit until you reach last 7 and purl. I purled the first 7 stitches. looked really strange and did not match the picture...
scraffan
completed in 07 one pair of gloves
one preemie blanket
07 wips purse, preemie blanket (#2), vest, sweater
kimkrafty Posted - 02/16/2007 : 8:16:24 PM
I have great expectations!

I always want to knit these large projects that take forever, then get upset that I have very few finished pieces to show.

I'm also very bad about swatching.

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
angie-knits Posted - 02/16/2007 : 08:48:21 AM
Hmm...I can have a super-short attention span, and so it results in waaaaaaayyy too many UFO's....I seem to like the challenge of new techniques and projects...so I'll start a project, and then when I figure out that I can indeed do this, then I start something else...horrible!

My blog: http://knitrelief.blogspot.com/

bethlnz Posted - 02/16/2007 : 07:48:36 AM
My bad habit is pushing the needle with my index finger. I don't know when I started doing it, but now it seems natural in my knitting. I am working on not doing it.

Another is to knit when I'm too tired and that's when I make my mistakes.

And like many others, too many UFOs...

bethlnz
v-allknit Posted - 02/16/2007 : 03:30:23 AM
i have a bad habit of having too many projects on needles and far too many on my mind. its like i want to knitthem all, and this ends up in such a mess some time. i have more stach and UFO growing on me now. even though i have thought that i will not buy wool, finish my UFOs but i dont know why i can t keep up to my resolutions.

shruti

My finished projects

My blog

lella Posted - 02/15/2007 : 8:12:23 PM
OK OK.. I am beginning to realize something. There's more bad habits in my knitting bag than I realized before reading this thread.

1. I buy too much yarn, stuff it in the corner of the bedroom or up in the sock basket on top of the other yarn containers on the old dresser, and forget that I got it for a specific project. A year later, while perusing my patterns, the [!] goes off and I get giddy. The only cure seems to be to buy more Noro on sale, which I just did. It's a sickness with no cure, though not as bad a one as quilt fabric stash mania. There's nothing to be done.

2. No one has even looked into the yarn closet since the kids visited two years ago and took half of it home with them.

3. Too many UFOs to admit to. The worst and oldest is a shell project from the 80s. I'm never going to be able to wear it, though two YEARS ago it would have fit, and 8 years ago, and 15 years ago. I don't even know what SIZE I am now. Anyway, the kids don't wear white; it's getting frogged and knit into face cloths.

Lella
[img]http://www.geocities.com/zippianna/turtle.gif[/img]

Blabbity blog
scraffan Posted - 02/15/2007 : 5:53:04 PM
Trying to follow a pattern, get bored with it and come up with something totally different.
My purse does not look anything like the pattern, but the pattern I was following was boring me to tears...
The same thing happened with a tank yop - only I have not gone back to try finishing it..No way am I even going to try and figure out my pitiful notes now..after months of nothing..not to worry the light cotton will be worked up into something not a tank top though..
other bad habit bring the knitting into my bedroom and having mixed results usually frogging because of bad lighting and heavy eyes..
knitting and sleeping are not a good combination for me
scraffan

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe