Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 my nephew

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
blwinteler Posted - 04/08/2007 : 9:26:02 PM
He loved the hedgehog I made for Christmas and wanted to learn to knit. So, this weekend, when he was visiting with his mom and sister, I taught him. I had him make a swatch. His first night he learned a knit on cast on, stockinette, and binding off. His grandmother picked up his knitting a couple rows in and knit a purl row. I left him with his knitting for the night. He started a new swatch, in which he discovered that he could use his grandmother's mistake to make a design. He tried to put an R in his swatch by purling in strategic places on the knit side. But he didn't quite manage it. I taught him ribbing and he cast on for a hat. I made a mini hat to show him the decreases since I wouldn't get a chance on the actual hat during their short visit. Then he made a mini hat. I bought him some cotton and printed up a short row dishcloth pattern (the round one with the eyelets). He got started on it right away, with no trouble reading the pattern and following it. By the time I left tonight, he had 3 projects otn. He has a hat, a dishcloth, and something he is making as a gift for someone. I don't know what or whom. He was also pretty impressed by my notebook full of circular needles and my ball winder. I think the tools involved will keep him going. He likes gadgets and tools. Anyway, I am very proud

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]

Not all Dumbs are Blonde.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KiltedKnitter Posted - 06/30/2007 : 07:14:11 AM
Check with your local yarn stores and see if they sponsor a group knit night. There are probably several men that attend and it would encourage him to know that 'real men' do knit!
Yelena_knitter Posted - 06/26/2007 : 4:01:39 PM
My uncle lives in Russia.He knits much better, then I am...I think it's great!

y.m.
Durango Posted - 06/19/2007 : 11:25:10 AM
Brandy, I was so inspired to read about your nephew that I told my 15 year old son (who I am convinced could be a natural-born knitter) about what he did. My son had said a while ago that he had heard hand knit socks were best for hiking, so I suggested that he learn to make his own. He declined, but said that he really liked the plain old garter stitch dish cloth I made a few months ago, and would like a couple more. I had another one started, and he said he'd like to work on that. He just knitted a few rows, but got the hang of it quickly. He also got interested in how various stitches formed the lace I was working on. When he was little, we could tell his artwork from that of the other kids because his was always 3-dimensional. Hopefully he'll stay interested long enough to see how much he can make for himself and how much potential there is in knitting for 3-D creativity. My thanks to you and your nephew!

Lynn
sgoldfried Posted - 04/12/2007 : 07:44:30 AM
hi
this boy has wonderful future ahead of him
to be that creative
opens up so many doors
please please ont let anyone talk him out of knitting
this art needs math imagination co-ordination
he has a wonderful brain
encourage it
sylvia
blwinteler Posted - 04/09/2007 : 2:37:02 PM
He turned 13 today. I also taught him a long tail cast on. I tried that first, but it was awkward, so we moved to knitting on. When it came to 80 sts for the hat, we both got impatient and he learned long tail. Apparently, the first night I really had him knitting, he was left alone for a while and my sil (his other aunt) came home to find him knitting and watching Sound of Music. As a musical theater person and a knitter, I can't help but feel proud.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]

Not all Dumbs are Blonde.
Corddrymum Posted - 04/09/2007 : 11:52:52 AM
That is Wonderful! YOu must be so proud of him. I love it that men can knit without too much grief now. Can't wait til my grandsons get a little older...
Robin C.
sgoldfried Posted - 04/09/2007 : 05:54:50 AM
hi
remarkable
how old is he
sylvia

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?