Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 Righty teaching a Lefty

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nanceann Posted - 04/17/2007 : 09:03:30 AM
I've been approached by a Lefty wanting to learn to knit. While I have assured her that anyone can knit, I need to be able to walk her through the beginning. Any suggestions besides mirroring? I do like that one...
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
franna724 Posted - 09/17/2007 : 06:18:16 AM
My daughter's a lefty and I'm a righty. She has pretty good use of both hands because her dad's a lefty and we tend to teach her to do things the way we do them. The same with knitting. I taught her the way I knit and she's never had a problem.

http://diaryofaneccentric.blogspot.com
Tam Posted - 09/14/2007 : 3:25:23 PM
my sister is left handed and when I taught her to knit, many years ago, it didn't even occur to me that a lefty might knit differently so I taught her to knit the same way I do.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2007 Stats: 4 WIPs, 8 FOs
fmarrs Posted - 09/14/2007 : 02:19:12 AM
I've taught many lefties to knit and the majority of them prefer knitting continental style holding the yarn in their left hand in the usual way. Since controlling yarn tension is a major part of knitting, lefties have an advantage in using their dominant hand for it. By the way, I also show everyone I teach both ways to knit and let them choose the method they like best.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
leftoutbutgood Posted - 09/13/2007 : 9:14:23 PM
You might check out the web site I found: www.knittingleft.com
It looks like it might help you.

leftoutbutgood

Nanceann Posted - 04/19/2007 : 3:29:23 PM
We had our first lesson Tuesday night. As it happens, she has crocheted. I was fortunate, I have a leftie friend who was able to join us. We had difficulty with the cast on, until I resorted to crocheted cast on. She's working on her second row of knitting. I also loaned her a pair of bamboo needles, and some sugar and cream. She brought Boyles, that had to be a size 6 or 5, and finering weight acrylic. We both told her bigger is better when you are beginning.

Thanks for the encouragement!
knitting fairy Posted - 04/19/2007 : 12:34:43 PM
First of all let me give you a big hug (((HUG))) for trying to teach a lefty. I took me years and years to find someone willing.

Even though she's left handed, she may not knit left handed. Maybe try right handed or continental style first, if that doesn't get it then try left handed (moving stitches from right to left with yarn in left hand). Especially if she already happens to crochet. She'll be used to holding yarn in her right hand anyhow.
If you look at the post you'll see lots of lefties knitting a lot of ways.
I taught myself to knit from a book with picture for lefties. But I learned to crochet first from a right handed woman. Everything she did I just did upside down and backwards. :OP That's probably the biggest part is being able to reverse everything in your head.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Knitting Fairy

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

It took me years and years of trial efforts to work out that there is absolutely no knitting triumph I can achieve that my husband will think is worth being woken up for. ~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe