Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Knot or not?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
knitz2 Posted - 08/14/2007 : 09:25:21 AM
I am primarily a knitter who also crochets sometimes. In knitting, we normally don't tie knots in yarn when adding new yarn or changing colors. Also, although my grandmother has been gone many years, I seem to remember she did not tie knots in yarn; she was the person who taught me how to cross yarn ends and weave them into the fabric.

Last week I was listening to a new crochet teacher in my shop from the other end of the room while she was working with a student. The teacher demonstrated the tying of a square knot in the yarn, told the student to work a few stitches, then had her cut the yarn ends off next to the knot. Is this correct??

If the yarn type makes a difference, instructor usually works with 100% acrylic yarns. The student she was working with will be using 100% acrylic for some projects but good quality wool for others.

I am hesitant to interfere but wanted opinion of other crocheters on this issue. .... Thanks!

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Atavistic Posted - 04/10/2008 : 02:33:10 AM
It's WAY too easy to pull out a short tail, and that INCLUDES the non-existent tail left with knotting and clipping next to the knot. No way, no way, no way.

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
niteknitter Posted - 04/10/2008 : 02:18:07 AM
I myself don't like to do knots in my crochet projects, but if I have too I will make sure I leave enough to weave in and make it secure.

Nothing worse then having work so long and hard on a project and it fall apart!

Because I try to avoid doing knots, I have loads of scrap yarn.......I'd just rather make sure I have enough for the row or round then to knot.......:)

Pat
PBELKNAP Posted - 08/15/2007 : 05:21:51 AM
Actually, to clarify...If I do tie knots, I do leave ends long enough to weave in (about 6 inches). I did make the mistake on my first afghan of just cutting the yarn near the know...never again!

PAM

WIP = Branches and Bobbles Afghan, Raglan Sweater, Vertical Rib Sweater (crocheted)

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket (2), Summer Top, Scrap Sweater, Socks (2 pair), 63 Cable Squares Afghan, Winter Hat

If I could only do this for a living...
temari Posted - 08/14/2007 : 11:11:47 PM
Usually I just weave the ends in as I crochet. My fear is what Kelly B experienced with her son's blanket ~ the knots coming apart. I don't recall seeing knots in crocheted items.

Carolyn
eepster Posted - 08/14/2007 : 10:08:57 PM
I usually crochet more than I knit. I've been on a knitting streak lately, but crochet is my true love. So I speak as an avid crocheter of 2 decades.

Just tying square knots and cutting the ends is both unsightly and eventually leads to your hard work falling apart. I usually leave a long tail on both the new strand and the old strand and stitch with both held together for several stitches. When I have finished the item I go back and weave in the ends very securely. If I'm changing colors I use a larkshead knot to secure the new color to the row below the one I'm working on. I still leave long tails and weave in.

There is no reason not to weave in your ends when crocheting it is actually easier to find places to hide your tails than in knitting. Though I'm not completely opposed to knots the square knot isn't a very good one, there are much tighter, smoother, and stronger knots out there. A great way to learn about knots is to take a class in rock climbing, you learn to tie very strong knots when you life hangs by one.

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
Kelly B Posted - 08/14/2007 : 11:03:56 AM
My son's beautiful acrylic granny square blanket is falling apart at the knots - the gifter trimmed the ends off next to the knots. It's such a shame! I've set it aside until I find the fray-check to try touching the remaining knots with that, as a preventive measure.

I don't think knots are so awful in general, but you must leave the tails long and weave them in if you do use knots.
mudpie@thegraphiczone.net Posted - 08/14/2007 : 09:58:23 AM
For me it's: No knots in knits, and it's not okay in crochet.

Why wouldn't I want the same quality in my crocheting as I do in my knitting? I weave them in or do the Russian join.

Knit someone a scarf and they'll have an accessory; teach someone to knit and they'll be in stitches for the rest of their life.
PBELKNAP Posted - 08/14/2007 : 09:49:45 AM
While I'm dilligent about not tying knots in my knitting, I find tying knots in crocheting works out fine for me. I think it's because it's a lot easier to weave in ends and the knot and not have it be noticable (seeing as crocheting is sort of a series of knots anyway). If I try to do the same thing with knitting, it looks appalling.

If you don't want to do knots, just do the stitch with the old yarn, and then when you go to do the final step of the stitch (ex. the final YO before you pull through the final loop), use the new yarn -- and then continue on. Weave in the ends. Some people go so far as to crochet over the ends after they join the new yarn, to blend them in.

PAM

WIP = Branches and Bobbles Afghan, Raglan Sweater, Vertical Rib Sweater (crocheted)

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket (2), Summer Top, Scrap Sweater, Socks (2 pair), 63 Cable Squares Afghan, Winter Hat

If I could only do this for a living...

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe