Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Felting Books and Patterns
 scandinavian braid felted bag

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
beejayeles Posted - 10/18/2007 : 4:09:29 PM
I just felted up the Scandinavian Braid bag (free pattern on-line) and was wondering if anyone else has tried it. I made a few modifications including lengthening the body of the bag. But the top of my bag came out with a bit of a "ruffle" effect....I like it...but was wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing. I used Patons Leaf Green with Wool of the Andes Rain. Will post photo when dry!

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/beejayeles/

brenda
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mertle Posted - 10/22/2007 : 04:42:00 AM
Anita, I just posted a new topic to help with those seemingly endless lengths of I-cord. It's a tip that helps me a lot. Everyone may do it already, but now it's written down!

Marilyn
Check out my bags here.
achrisvet Posted - 10/21/2007 : 7:23:46 PM
I'm following your suggestions. I figured it was time I learned how to do an I-cord bind off. It's easy and looks great. But it takes a long time and then I have to do a 5 stitch I-cord FOREVER for the strap. Then it's done!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

mertle Posted - 10/20/2007 : 3:55:03 PM
Thanks, Anita! You made my day!

Marilyn
Check out my bags here.
achrisvet Posted - 10/20/2007 : 08:06:27 AM
quote:
Here's a good example. I decreased from 100 to 90 (as I recall) on this one and finished with a 3-stitch I-cord bindoff.

That's a very attractive bag! Very classy looking! I think the handles make it look very sophisticated. Nice job!

I'm glad I read this thread as I am near the top of a felted bag. I think I will decrease a little. before casting off.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

beejayeles Posted - 10/19/2007 : 08:49:34 AM
I had a feeling that's why it flared out....and usually do just what you suggested. But.....i forgot to do it till i had it all cast off and was too lazy to frog-it. So...now I know...but it is neat...I'll try to get a picture on soon...will let you know. I'm cranking out another one with gray Paton...just haven't decided on the contrast color yet....teal? magenta? spring green? iron ore red? light pink???...decisions, decisions.

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/beejayeles/

brenda
mertle Posted - 10/19/2007 : 04:46:28 AM
Brenda, that's a nice bag!!! I've been scared to death of Fair Isle (absolutely love mosaic), but this might be just the item to get me rolling!

The way I solve the problem of the ripple (and the curl, sometimes) at the top is by decreasing a tad on a couple of rows before the last and doing the last few rows in garter stitch. Here's a good example. I decreased from 100 to 90 (as I recall) on this one and finished with a 3-stitch I-cord bindoff.

For example, on your bag I would k2tog every 14 stitches around, decreasing 112 stitches down to 104 (IF I did my math right this early in the morning!). Or I might even decrease every 8 stitches and take it down to 98 stitches. Depends on the bag and my knitter's intuition that day!

Noni discusses this flaring here and deals with it an entirely different way. My way works well for me and the bags I do.

Looking forward to see pics of your bag!

Marilyn
Check out my bags here.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe