Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting in Warm climates

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RobA Posted - 12/05/2007 : 12:58:20 PM
This is kind of silly, but it has been on my mind. I live in the Mid Atlantic states (snowing and gray and cold, at the moment), and realized as I started this message that I am wearing a pair of handknit wool socks, a wool and tencel neck thingie (gaiter? cowl?) over my top, and have a triangular lace shawl over my winter coat today. I started knitting when I lived in Madison WI and it became an obsession during my life here in PA.

But now I am in the running for a job I really want, in a city I would love to live in, where the temperature today is in the 80s. Sandals most of the year. Now I love love love wearing sandals. But I looked at my closet full of wool yarn and realized that there will be an additional aspect to my culture shock if I get this job. Like, learning to like knitting with cotton and linen! [:00] I know there are active knitting groups in this city, as well as what sounds like a couple of great knitting stores. (I am being superstitious -- don't want to jinx my chances -- but OK, it's San Antonio. Shhhh!)

But I am looking at my partially done pullover in Rowan Kid Classic thinking, "Why finish this? Maybe I should frog it and do a jacket or cardigan. That MIGHT get some wear." So, warm weather knitters, what do you knit, and with what fibers? I have the feeling that I might end up turning to other fibercraft, like weaving and sewing, but I do love to knit.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
frodosmom Posted - 12/31/2007 : 7:49:15 PM
Hope the new job turns out to be all that you have been looking for. I'm not too fond of cotton for knitting; it usually lacks the elasticity that makes the knitting flow. But I LOVE using linen. It can be cool in summer and warm in winter. It feels rough at first sometimes, but after a wash or two it feels just fine.

If the folks back home wouldn't appreciate your knitting for them, why not knit for hospitals and other charitable organizations. There your efforts would be very much appreciated.

Margaret in South Carolina
SoCalKnitter Posted - 12/29/2007 : 03:35:11 AM
Well, I guess I've done the opposite. As a California native (SoCal for the final 7 years), I've moved to Ireland 11 months ago and am enjoying working more with wool--and the fact that I can wear more of it! However, I was able to knit a lot, just not wool sweaters. I found myself doing more purses, light (fashion, fun fur) scarves, lighter hats, baby blankets, etc. And previous posters are right, evenings can get chilly, layers are really needed as it's so changeable, and a lot of homes aren't the best for heating. I would say go ahead and finish your sweater; you never know if you'll be skiing or invited on a snow trip. However, I found that warmer times of the year I had to knit smaller things that wouldn't rest on my lap and overheat me. There are so many different knit accessories that you can knit, you just have to adjust your thinking in a warmer climate. Best of luck!

--SoCalKnitter (now living in Ireland)
www.AlishaHamblen.com for knitting blog
"It is easy to say how we love new friends, and what we think of them, but words can never trace out all the fibers that knit us to the old." George Eliot
Delldgm Posted - 12/18/2007 : 7:13:55 PM
Hi I'm From Adelaide South Australia - I knit/crochet all year round even though our temperates in summer average out at about 90 degrees farenheight and at times get up to 115 degrees. I generally knit in 8 ply for winter woollies which I make in summer and I use cotton or 2-4 ply for summer tops.

DellDGM
RobA Posted - 12/18/2007 : 10:54:43 AM
I just spent several days in San Antonio, interviewing for the job, and was glad I brought my wool jacket with me! Temps in the 40s, rain, wind... Then had a beautiful Saturday during which a light jacket would have been just perfect. Gave me an idea of what winter is like there. Now we'll have to see what they decide about the job.

Smock7 Posted - 12/17/2007 : 03:43:15 AM
Hmmm, well wool is my favorite yarn (actually Merino is my most favorite) so I knit with wool! I also use wool/cotton blends sometimes. Tahki cotton has been used on probably 30 sweaters also. I used to live in Norman, Oklahoma where the heat index in the summer was usually over 100 degrees but the winters can be very cold. Now, I live on the east coast in North Carolina where this week the temperatures have been in the 70's and 80's. I'm still knitting with wool! I haven't been able to wear my wool sweaters as much this winter, yet, but I'm still hoping! There's just no good replacement for wonderful wool! I still knit my wool socks and felted wool clogs also. I agree with everyone about airconditioned restaurants...I always carry a sweater into a restaurant. Here's hoping you land the dream job! Vanessa

Vanessa

Live is an adventure....enjoy every minute!
BastetG4 Posted - 12/14/2007 : 1:34:31 PM
You don't have to give up wool! I live in Philly now, but I used to live in Tampa, Florida and I owned wool sweaters when I lived there. It may not be cold for long, but I'm sure San Antonio also gets winter weather for at least one month of the year.

However, for the rest of the year...yeah, you'll probably be knitting a lot more with cotton, linen and hemp. :-b If you need more woolly knitting, you could always knit gifts for your family and friends back home in PA.

--
I'm getting comfortable with ripping.
Wen Posted - 12/14/2007 : 12:57:39 PM
It was well into the 90s here yesterday, I had a DK weight bolero over my dress all day as I was in the office, in the car or in the shopping mall. When I got to my BBQ in the evening was the first time I took it off all day!

Knitted items are always required, they mad be thinner and smaller than you are used to but they are there.

My next 2 summer projects are a short sleeved rayon/acrylic knit to wear with jeans and a 4ply mohair bolero to wear with dresses.

Wen

2007 stats: 5 FO, too many WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/
BorisKitten Posted - 12/14/2007 : 09:35:09 AM
I've lived in Florida all my life, and I'm often surprised how often I wear my hand-knit wool socks: Well into May or June! Also knitting lace is great fun, and always practical. Wool is great for bags & back-packs. I often wear a wool cardigan to work (freezing A/C even in mid-summer) or shopping; I can wear wool pullovers from Nov-Feb. In summer I like cotton blends, and make lots of socks and lace.

So, please tell us whether you get the job! Good luck to you!
sweetpea Posted - 12/13/2007 : 5:44:18 PM
My family's from Tucson, and in spite of popular belief, it can get really cold at night. Occasionally the daytime temperature can drop into the 50s or lower and many people love to crank the AC down to the low 60s. Gets pretty cold when that air's blowing directly on you. It really depends on how your body acclimates to the climate. And over time, you may find your body temperature reaction changes.
lauraks555 Posted - 12/13/2007 : 1:52:33 PM
Having lived in the Texas Panhandle, I'd have to add two cents. On the hottest days of 105, our workplace had the AC cranked to 65F. My fingers would lose circulation, since I tend to spend a lot of times outdoors. Even here in Kansas City, MO, people lower the AC to the mid sixties. I'd take all my wools and make cardigans out of them. Sweaters would be too hot, even with the wet cold, at first. This winter, if you move rather soon, you'll be used to much colder temps. But next year, once the 100F heat and 60%+ humidity has warmed you, you'll shiver at 70F.

Of course, thay may just be me and my own temperature reactions. :)

My adventures in yarny goodness: http://theperfectplace.blogspot.com/
FL Knitter Posted - 12/13/2007 : 12:19:21 PM
I live in Florida, but I don't let that inhibit me from knitting any and all types of sweaters, no matter how heavy or woolly. Lucky for me if it drops below 85F I get chilly anyway, so I get to wear most of them from November - March. Plus I have them for when I visit up north.

As mentioned above, we're a bunch of AC nuts too, so I'm always freezing indoors in public places.

Plus - plenty of need for knitted purses, slippers, throws, toys, etc.
greyhound Posted - 12/13/2007 : 09:35:36 AM
I too live in AZ - specifically in Phoenix and we also do not like it here are hoping to move back East next summer. Having said that, surprisingly there are 5 yarn shops in the valley and I've been to 3 of them - Jessica Knits, Phoenix Knitting and Needlepoint and AZ Knitting and Needlepoint - nice shops and people. But having moved here from MI after living there for 10 years - I miss the fiber shows and the funky one of a kind yarns, you simply cannot find here. People are surprised that I still living in AZ - we still wear sweaters and socks here! I've always knitted year round - for gifts, coworkers and selling on line - Etsy.com. No matter where you live you don't want to lose that connection that knitting brings to you. Best of luck in your job and whereever you end up at.

Happy Christmas!
topenchilada@gmail.com Posted - 12/13/2007 : 06:01:11 AM
This very thing happened to me last year (October 2006). I ended up moving from Delaware to Florida. I still wear my hand knit socks occasionally.

What has changed for me is that I now knit a lot more with silk, cotton, linen and hemp. And blends of those with wool. I've discovered the knit shell and my wardrobe loves me for it.

Laura in Orlando
scarfitup Posted - 12/13/2007 : 05:31:41 AM
We lived in New England for 30 years and now have relocated to coastal NC. We LOVE it! Despite the fact that this week has been in the upper 70s - low 80s, that is NOT the norm for this time of year. As others have attested, there will be times in TX when you'll need your warm socks and sweaters. But I always like to look at "problems" as opportunities, so I would look at this one as a chance to experiment with new fibers (for you!) like silk, linen, tencel, etc. You can also knit accessories and other fun things for yourself or for gifts.

Good luck with the job and your knitting! I hope you enjoy both as much as you have in the past.

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://portcitypottery.com

loribird Posted - 12/13/2007 : 05:17:58 AM
My husband is in the coast guard, so I may have the same problem someday (though so far we've been lucky - Alaska and Maine!) I think you could knit a lot of lace with wool yarns, things that would take the chill off an air-conditioned room, and there is always gift knitting... And, oh! The luxury of silk!
Flit Posted - 12/12/2007 : 11:23:28 PM
I live about 100 miles north of San Antonio. You would have ample days to wear wool socks and wool sweaters/jackets. There wouldn't be much point in Shetland wool Nordic type very heavy sweaters, but the temps get down to the teens and we sometimes have nine and even one degree temps--although the 20s through 40s are the norm; light snow occasionally, ice more frequently where I live. We have had below freezing weather for ten consecutive days but the cold spells generally don't last a long time. Layering is in order.

It is not like living where it is warm all year round; we have wet cold weather and strong cold North winds in December through February and sometimes March. Lily Beth's comment that it is difficult to adapt due to the shifts from warm to cold is quite accurate. One feels the cold intensely. Even in summer I keep a sweater in the car because air conditioned places can be quite cold.

I do not knit in cotton or linen. I prefer wool and silk. I use and enjoy all my knitted wool hats, sweaters, scarves, gloves, mittens, socks, whatever every winter.
luvsuns@comcast.net Posted - 12/12/2007 : 9:53:51 PM
I live in North FL and knit with cotton or blends that can be worn anytime of year. We have the AC nuts in the warm months and it gets cold here in Northern FL in the winter so I can wear a sweater to and from wherever I am going. Plus, I have grandkids in the North and West where it gets cold enough for wool. I can get my kicks knitting with that for them.
Happy knitting and you'll find yarn to please you I'm sure. Isn't the point to knit???
Castiron Posted - 12/12/2007 : 9:40:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RobA

(I am being superstitious -- don't want to jinx my chances -- but OK, it's San Antonio. Shhhh!)

I live within 100 miles of SA, and I still knit some things with wool. I found that my wool socks are comfortable further into summer than I'd expected; I use my alpaca lace shawl far more in summer than in winter (hefty air-conditioning in my office). I'm working on a wool pullover now, and have yarn for a couple wool and wool-blend cardigans; I'll likely only be able to wear the pullover routinely in January and February, but that's okay with me. Yes, it's not going to get cold enough to wear a Lopi pullover, but a sweater from finer wool yarn will be more useable than you'd think, and a lace shawl will be quite useful.

The big problem with wool down here isn't the heat; it's that it rarely gets cold enough to seriously affect the bug population, and your sweaters probably _will_ spend more time in storage than they would further north, so you'll have to take much greater care to keep your yarn and projects from getting eaten. I don't recommend having a large stash of wool yarn unless you have a very well-sealed home or a big freezer for storage.
LilyBeth Posted - 12/10/2007 : 8:00:57 PM
I'm a Texas native, but I spent three years in North Carolina. What I noticed was that in NC, it would get cold and then *stay* cold, and you adapted to it. Hats, gloves, and coats were the norm, but the cold didn't really bother me that much.

Now in Texas, the winter is a series of ups and downs--particularly in central Texas, including San Antonio. It will be 65 and gorgeous for three days, and then a cold front will blast in and the temperature will drop to 40. Four days later it could be 65 again. That happened just this weekend--Saturday morning it was so warm I was in capris and my son in short sleeves. That afternoon the wind started blowing. By Sunday morning it was 38.

Since it never stays cold, you never adjust to it. So those 40-degree days are miserable! And you can't ignore the fact that Texas cold is usually *wet* cold. In NC it was so dry we had to keep the humidifier cranking and went through tubes and tubes of chapstick--here that damp wind cuts right through you.

In conclusion, as I blather on, I'm happily wearing wool socks right now, even though I had on sandals on Friday.

---------------

Visit The Dilettante -- a blog where art lovers
can rediscover the masterpieces. www.lunday.com/dilettante/
RobA Posted - 12/08/2007 : 6:15:27 PM
LOL, 2Trees -- a friend of mine who grew up in northern Germany and then lived in Pittsburgh for years moved to Austin a few years ago and now complains *bitterly* about those cold 60 degrees days!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe