Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Complementary or Adjacent

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mermaid Knits Posted - 12/27/2007 : 06:41:03 AM
Hello; Do you like to knit or sew with colours that are complementary (spread around the colour wheel in regular intervals, or do you prefer a monochromatic scheme with colours chosen from adjacent values?
I enjoy a lot of colour and so would say I tend to go for the complementary. I especially like the Split Complement idea.

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Atavistic Posted - 01/09/2008 : 7:02:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by imamshua

Amanda - depends on the stitch, stockingette - boring, anything else, not boring and I suspect you're in the anything else category!

Heh. Every pattern I sell at my website is one color.

I've got an electric blue cabled bag and hat combo, cables. Check. A lilac lace nightie/tunic. Lace, check. A ribbed/mock cabled shell. Ribbing, check. A faggoted zigzag shell. Texture, check.

Oh, and a free pattern for a rainbow colored dog collar and leash that was knit as a flat tube. Knitting technique not often used, check.

Amanda Knits

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Mermaid Knits Posted - 01/09/2008 : 6:59:35 PM
Oh My, Hoosier Nanny;
I,m afraid I won't be too helpful. I like all the hand-dyed varieties. I like ones where the colour might go from a medium to a light tone of the same colour in a few centimetres. It seems the silk or silk blends adapt to this more than wool. Am I right? I am just staring at my big stach I have.

But I also love the hanks with 3 or more colours, and they can be quite different. I seem to be gravitating more and more to abundance colour variation and the colour is changing about every 20 cm. I just opened up a hank I picked up in New Zealand. Beige, light orange, berry, pink, periwinkle, turqouise blue,then it goes in reverse back to a beigy tone. and in between the more solid parts there is quite a transitional section. No I haven't swatched it yet. There are actually more colours in it than I described even. To me it is stunningly gorgeous.

Good luck with your new endeavours!

Arctic-mermaid
Hoosier Nanny Posted - 01/07/2008 : 10:00:38 AM
I am in the process of dyeing semi-solid yarn colorways.
I plan on attending some fiber events this coming year.
I am a soap and basket maker and thought some yarn would be good to add to my stock.

I have been experimenting with different techinques.
What do you look for when you shop for a semi-solid superwash merino yarn?
I have done two styles of dyeing and I like them both.

One is handpainted which has blended streaks of the colorway through out the yarn...it is a chaos style with the color variations running through the whole skein. There is not pattern...the same color hues are very random.

The other is a kettle technique where the dye is poured onto separate section creating large areas of the same colorway blending into each other. It is more uniform in appearance.

I would like some imput....please.
Mermaid Knits Posted - 12/28/2007 : 08:47:00 AM
Hi Amanda, I like solids colours when I am planning on intricate stitches in knitting. Otherwise, in sewing and in knitting I tend towards some variability, like through variegated yarns. Doesn't have to be wild, but some little changes at least. I find it gives depth.
And Sally, I agree with you that direct opposite colours are not quite to my liking either. The Split Complementary is where the accent colours are a bit off to one side and to the other of the direct opposite colour.
Happy Knitting

Arctic-mermaid
imamshua Posted - 12/27/2007 : 10:58:23 AM
Amanda - depends on the stitch, stockingette - boring, anything else, not boring and I suspect you're in the anything else category!

Mermaid - I like both that you described, but do not usually care for directly across the colorwheel complementary, but do like when there are two or even four complementary colors added

Sally

If you think you're too small to be effective you have never been in bed with a mosquito - Bette Reese
Atavistic Posted - 12/27/2007 : 07:00:54 AM
I usually go for SOLID colors.

So I am very boring.

Amanda Takes Off... and Amanda Knits

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe