Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 Any lawyers out there?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
A10CO Posted - 04/05/2007 : 3:12:21 PM
Just wondering if any of the lawyers out there can fit knitting into her work day. I would love to run a small practice where knitting in the office is the norm! (Unfortunately, I don't )
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
griffsmom Posted - 01/23/2008 : 4:17:16 PM
I work in a courthouse as a judicial research attorney and spend my day researching motions and writing recommended rulings for 5 judges. Even if there were time in the day to squeeze in some knitting (which there isn't), I'm sure the judges would frown upon it.

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Diane Posted - 01/22/2008 : 6:23:26 PM
I do freelance work mostly from home, but take my knitting on the Metro when I am going downtown to meet with people. I worked in a law firm before kids, a small firm, but can't say I think it would have gone over very well. I did always listen to NPR on the radio while I was working though!
micamynx Posted - 01/22/2008 : 09:32:22 AM
I don't get it in everyday, but I usually carry around a simple sock for down times between hearings, etc. I am a solo practitioner with a criminal defense and family law practice so I am in court most of the time. Other lawyers & judges find it highly amusing to see me knitting. I never knit at my office because my secretary would strangle me (for loafing off!)
ShannonM Posted - 04/13/2007 : 06:55:20 AM
I knit at work while I'm reading and no one seems to mind. But I do appellate work and spend a lot of time reading transcripts, etc. It actually helps me focus.

But I can see why people in large or even small firms wouldn't want to knit at work. This is the first job I feel comfortable with that I have a very relaxed boss who is also okay with things like working at home.

Shannon
sarakate Posted - 04/12/2007 : 2:22:34 PM
There are two places where I fit knitting into my work schedule: travel, and conference calls. I have significant issues with becoming distracted by written materials while on conference calls, and looking up a few minutes later to realize that I haven't heard any of what was just said; knitting allows me to have something to occupy my eyes but not make the audio input to my brain shut off, so I'm able to pay much better attention. Of course, I do keep the knitting simple -- I actually have simple stockinette "conference call socks" that live in my desk drawer and are my plain knitting for just this purpose. Of course, I do shut my door when I'm on these calls....

Oh, one more place -- I've been known to knit during mediation sessions, when we're at the part where we sit around in a room waiting for the mediator to finish talking to the other party(ies), but that's more of a "goodness, this is useless time" statement.
samsgrams Posted - 04/12/2007 : 11:27:17 AM
I think the only way for us to knit at work is to be one's own boss. I have a small office, practicing family law, and always bring my knitting with me to the office. Some days I can get to it, especially at lunch time. Friends who work at big firms tell me they wouldn't think of knitting there.

samsgrams
pkee Posted - 04/05/2007 : 3:33:13 PM
Not into my workday unless lunch counts . . .

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe