Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 sneaking in knitting at work

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dancinggirl77 Posted - 08/04/2006 : 05:04:52 AM
Does anyone have any funny stories of trying to knit at work? I had my own office so I just closed the door and clicked away...
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
amanda23 Posted - 01/27/2008 : 4:21:06 PM
I've brought knitting with me to knit on my lunch breaks at one of my jobs... I should be able to at work because there is so much down time in between what I do, but I think people would think I was slacking off if they saw me knitting.[:((] So instead I check out knitting related things (like these forums) in that downtime.

-Amanda

my blog:
http://mollywaffles.blogspot.com/
amazing grace Posted - 01/27/2008 : 1:52:32 PM
I tend to get to work 15 minutes early and spend that time knitting before work. I tend to be more relaxed if I have this quiet time before plunging into my job. My boss and I spend the first few minutes of each day talking about our daily goals and plans for the day and often I'll keep knitting through that meeting.

I also - on rare occasion - will declare I need a stress break and sit and knit for a row or two when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Grace
Jenny B. Posted - 01/27/2008 : 08:35:02 AM
Being an ASL Interpreter, it would hard to knit at work! However, I recently brought knitting to a 3-day workshop where we weren't signing much. The second day, another lady brought her crochet! It's a great way to keep me in my seat and paying attention. Otherwise, I'd day dream I think.

Jenny B.
tink_r_bell Posted - 01/25/2008 : 3:20:17 PM
I bring my knitting to work, generally socks or mittens or maybe parts of a purse. I used knitting as a demo/symbol of systems thinking, when a stitch is dropped or a row off a needle, the whole system can unravel, leaving the system broken.

I work for a school district IT and lots of teachers, principals, administrators make a point of bringing their laptops in (mostly Macs) and hooking into our wireless network. I figured that if they could surf, check email and buy stuff on eBay during meetings i could knit. How wrong I was! Now I bring my iPaq and surf or play freecell or solitaire - and not a word is spoken. I paid better attention when I knitted!

I knit at lunch with a friend, and I am trying to decide if I am coordinated enough to knit and walk when we do our laps!

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
MindyO Posted - 01/22/2008 : 11:12:14 AM
I work customer service (phone in) so when I work Saturdays (my 8hr day, usually work 5) which are usually a bit slower I do bring a project and knit between calls, or when not typing. I rarely get more than a row or two done, but it keeps from fidgeting so much.
micamynx Posted - 01/22/2008 : 09:28:23 AM
I am a lawyer & often take my knitting to court. When I have a break between cases or am waiting for a hearing to start, I knit. I get teased a bunch, but like others who have responded, knitting needles seem intimidating to people who don't knit. Especially male lawyers, I have found!
knit-against-the-machine Posted - 01/12/2008 : 10:10:52 PM
I knit at lunch too. I close my office door, put a CD into my desktop computer, and delve into another world as I knit and listen to music for 45 minutes.

Peace, Love, Knit & Rock On!
www.knit-against-the-machine.blogspot.com
PBELKNAP Posted - 08/14/2007 : 06:36:36 AM
I really should bring in my knitting or crocheting to do over lunch...I'm sure no one would care.

I have snuck it in for quarter ends, when I'm just sitting around waiting for jobs to run on the weekend. The funniest was the time I brought in a sweater that I was knitting as a Christmas present. I used the big manager's table in the boss' cube to lay it out and measure...

PAM

WIP = Branches and Bobbles Afghan, Raglan Sweater, Vertical Rib Sweater (crocheted)

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket (2), Summer Top, Scrap Sweater, Socks (2 pair), 63 Cable Squares Afghan, Winter Hat

If I could only do this for a living...
ShannonM Posted - 08/14/2007 : 05:54:41 AM
I have to read a lot at work and knitting saves my sanity. I keep something simple like a plain sock or something in garter stitch that I don't have to pay attention to and it makes the boring parts more bearable. I don't think anyone would mind, but I don't think anyone's ever noticed. I have an office far away from the main part, with a door I keep shut to avoid noise. Lucky me.

Shannon
knitting_wounded Posted - 08/13/2007 : 10:22:11 PM
The only time I get to knit "at work" is when I take a conference call at home. It may not count since I'm not on the clock, but it is very satisfying to actually get something done during these (generally) useless calls.

Check out the Knitting Wounded Tent: http://knittingwounded.blogspot.com
busygirl Posted - 08/13/2007 : 5:14:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Linnet

I probably could knit here, but I'm a contract employee, and that might raise unpleasant thoughts in their heads about how much they are paying me an hour. So I only knit on my breaks. Today, since I forgot my lunch, I chose a restaurant based on how much knitting I could get done while waiting! [:00] (1 inch on the sock.)

At my last job they weren't particular about what I did while I was waiting for work, so I would knit at my desk occasionally. I almost always knit through staff meetings, since it was the only way I could stay awake.

Hi Linnet,

I work as a temp,which I suppose is very similar to being a contract employee,so I also have to be very careful when it comes to knitting at work.I did have one temp assignment which lasted for 18 months,so it felt like a permanent job,but what I really enjoyed about it,was having my own office,so I was able to knit during my breaks.
Lately I have been doing mainly reception work,so knitting is a no-no,but at least I am able to log on here,which saves my sanity!

Leslie

My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
knitwitch39 Posted - 08/13/2007 : 4:27:08 PM
I'm lucky, I guess. I_have_to be at work 10 hours a day 5 days a week but the work only takes a small portion of that time to do...so as long as I get my work done each day, my boss doesn't care if I spend the rest of the time knitting---or reading.

Yvonne

*The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.* Kahlil Gibran
Linnet Posted - 08/13/2007 : 2:11:30 PM
I probably could knit here, but I'm a contract employee, and that might raise unpleasant thoughts in their heads about how much they are paying me an hour. So I only knit on my breaks. Today, since I forgot my lunch, I chose a restaurant based on how much knitting I could get done while waiting! [:00] (1 inch on the sock.)

At my last job they weren't particular about what I did while I was waiting for work, so I would knit at my desk occasionally. I almost always knit through staff meetings, since it was the only way I could stay awake.
gdziengel Posted - 08/13/2007 : 1:25:22 PM
I will sneak knitting in when I'm on a long conference call. Everyone in my office understands I pay attention better when I knit and the people over the phone don't have to know I'm knitting. I just got to knit myself through an hour long power outage. I'm glad I had my sock along.
gulf knitter Posted - 08/13/2007 : 10:42:59 AM
I don't routinely knit at work, but I always have a pair of socks in progress in my bag just in case... Sarah.
crzyboutyarn Posted - 08/12/2007 : 11:34:49 AM
I knit at my lunch only, I dont have a door to close, I am on my feet all day :-(

~Courtney
A Full Stash is a Happy Stash!!

My Pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitnpurlgurl/
My Blog
http://www.confessionsofaknitter.blogspot.com/
Sue the nomad Posted - 08/12/2007 : 11:08:41 AM
I too take my knitting to work and get on with it during breaks and lunch - I'd love to have the opportunity to knit at my desk too - but even websites like this one are banned by our IT department. As I work mainly with men they get on with the jokes and puzzled looks; some of the women admit to knitting but more in secret; but it's always a conversation opener. I take a project in my handbag wherever I go - it's even led to me being 'commissioned' to finish a child's jacket by a restaurant owner in return for free food - now that one I liked. Today I went out for coffee and cake - and didn't take knitting with me - I ended up having more to eat - so you could say knitting helps me diet as well!
LJ Posted - 01/14/2007 : 09:46:06 AM
When I worked at BigBank I would knit during conference calls. And with there being so many, it could add up to about 4 hours a day.

Now I work at a LYS....and now I HAVE NO TIME to knit...we're too busy!

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
chellethinques Posted - 01/13/2007 : 6:16:21 PM
I substitute teach here and there, and frequently find that the lesson plan is a video and I can knit as long as the kids are watching quietly. I sit with them, knit, and toss out things they should take down in notes, etc. The other day I was in a junior high science class and we were watching a Bill Nye clip. Two boys were whispering, and I clearly heard one say, "Do it now while she's knitting!" They were pretty freaked out when I continued knitting by feel and gave them a looooooooong Teacher Look. A lot of kids ask me to teach them during free periods!
Schachkoenigin Posted - 01/13/2007 : 5:56:19 PM
The only work I do is babysitting, so I can't really knit while babysitting, but when I have to put the kids to bed, I bring my knitting to do after they're in bed.
I was once babysitting, though, and the little girl I was babysitting asked me if I would knit so she could watch. I think it's because I knitted her a sweater for Christmas and she wanted to see how it was done.

---------------------------
Others have excuses, I have my reasons why...

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe