Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 will this yarn felt?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RoaringBravado Posted - 12/18/2007 : 5:08:58 PM
hey all,

so i have this lovely thick yarn that i would love to turn into a felt bag, but i'm not sure if it will felt.

it's called King Filtes Van dyck. it's 46% wool, 36% acrylic, and 15% alpaca. will the acrylic prevent felting?

thanks
Ursa
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
amanda23 Posted - 01/27/2008 : 4:11:50 PM
Acrylic will not prevent felting.

And you don't always need 85% animal fiber to felt -- I've felted Lion Brand Landscapes yarn before, which is 50% wool/50% acrylic. I've also felted using JoAnn Fabrics Sensations Confetti Yarn - 40% Wool/38% Acrylic/22% Nylon.

If you're not sure if this yarn will felt you can always knit it with another strand of yarn that is 100% wool and they will both felt together (I've done this many times).

-Amanda

my blog:
http://mollywaffles.blogspot.com/
kbshee Posted - 01/11/2008 : 3:17:06 PM
Can you split splice it (ie wet two ends and then rub them together to see if you can create a very firm, invisible join?). If so, then it will felt.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Seabright Posted - 01/11/2008 : 11:15:22 AM
HI
Alpaca is a natural fibre and it has the same ability to felt as wool. I have used it in a blend with merino wool and it works just fine. I am not sure where the figure 83% comes from... I think it is best to do the little test mentioned elsewhere.. take a length, wet it with hot water, bunch it up and knead it for a bit and see if it felts. I would be yours would felt just fine. If you really want to judge the size of the final result accurately then you need to to sa swatch The amount of shrinkage and the speed at which felting occurs is highly variable with different yarns. Some take forever, some take a single cycle in the machine. A word to the wise: mixing different yarns in a project will produce very unpredictable results.

Cheers
RoaringBravado Posted - 12/18/2007 : 9:31:43 PM
thanks you two, for your replies. i'm going to try a swatch and see how it works.

take care
Ursa
mertle Posted - 12/18/2007 : 6:15:49 PM
I have felted with 50% wool and 50% acrylic (as in Caron's Black Magic) and it turned out nicely - very unique.

This bag was done with 1 strand of Lionbrand Boucle (100% acrylic) and 1 strand of Paton's Classic Merino (100% wool). (And it sold this week!!!)

So, with your yarn, I'd recommend a small swatch. Just remember that the lower the percentage of animal fiber, the longer to felt.

Marilyn
Check out my bags here.
Milinda Posted - 12/18/2007 : 5:18:32 PM
Hi Ursa. You need at least 85% animal fiber to felt.

M L

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe