Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Those Little Knitting Secrets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GFTC Posted - 03/04/2008 : 06:21:31 AM
My secret is that if stitch markers became illegal I would stop knitting.

Stitch markers are my friends roadmarkers for any kind of pattern other than straight garter stitch, no wait, I needed them for the garter stitch Baby Surprise Jacket.

And your secret is.......

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
click here for free sock pattern
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mocha Posted - 03/25/2008 : 9:21:01 PM
My secret? I hate clapotis... oopss...there I said it and off I'll go to hide.
susiknits Posted - 03/25/2008 : 10:12:14 AM
My secrets?
I don't knit on straight needles any more. They hurt my hands.
I like short projects. Long projects become WIPs and sit for months.
I don't swatch -- when I do, it's 20 stitches over 3 rows or so. Then I rip it out so I can actually USE the yarn.
Last and nastiest -- I don't take compliments well, and will actually hesitate to wear a garment I've knit or sewn for myself, simply because I find it hard to handle positive comments graciously.

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Knotty_Knitter Posted - 03/23/2008 : 07:06:02 AM
knitting secrets....lol.
Not really secrets, but admissions...
I have a stash. A big one. But, at 9:30 Sunday nights, that is handy. Helps with what we affectionately call my 'knitting ADD'
I get going on a project, then have this urge to start something else. Current ones are a BSJ and a Forest Canopy, both otn down in the stash. Current upstairs ones are a cabled hat and the second sock for my son. He keeps checking on me..."mom, are ya working on my sock??"
Next cast ons are two wraps....one with pure alpaca from a local farm....must go finish a hat so I can start that!
justine

"Therapy is expensive. Popping bubble wrap is cheap. You choose."
Genuine Posted - 03/20/2008 : 1:26:42 PM
Knotting your new yarn works just fine when you're joining. After you're done, just undo the knot and weave the ends in. Works for me.

A little snark, and sweaters. My blog.
http://thelumpysweater.wordpress.com
Jints Posted - 03/20/2008 : 1:17:01 PM
Instead of fiddling about with grafting/Kitchener stitch, I close and finish my sock toes with gathering up the remaining stitches, purse-string style. Fits the foot just fine. and you don't see it when the sock is on the foot.

Happy Knitting.
knittymommy Posted - 03/20/2008 : 03:56:48 AM
my best knitting secret is my slow cooker. My says off are MINE, and I'm not wasting them cooking. I put everything in the slow cooker and knit the day away.DH is at work, and all the kids are at school. oohlala

T.L.
dCalla Posted - 03/15/2008 : 10:08:56 AM
I have found that I really don't care if I complete a project. The process matters for me. The act of putting the new yarns on needles, feeling how it works, making stitches, seeing it grow, etc. Only 20 WIP? Amateur. Many of my projects are inches away from being done, or only need the finishing, and I don't even mind finishing. I have almost completely given up the guilt.

This year I have decided to finish at least one for every new project I start, and to try to only start small things, mainly so I can clear SPACE in my stash for new things. Itís funny, but I don't have any problem with socks. I can always complete a pair, with no second sock syndrome.
dschmidt Posted - 03/14/2008 : 12:28:12 PM
I need an easy project to go with every complex one so I can takes breaks from the complexity when my brain is mush.

Donna in VA
RowanFalar Posted - 03/10/2008 : 4:51:28 PM
Yep, I went from being 1160th to 468th! WOOT!

My knitting secret? this place! It's helped me so much to find sources for yarn, reviews on books and patterns.

lella Posted - 03/10/2008 : 1:31:56 PM
Rowan, Some kind knitters have probably already emailed you, but you can use a regular spreadsheet from any program to produce a list of needles and yarns, with a X where the size and type intersect. Ditto the yarns. The one at Ravelry is a very similar. A regular spreadsheet will work just as well. You will be into Raverly soon, though. HTH

Zippiknits
Jeanine Posted - 03/10/2008 : 10:28:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bethany

My secret, such as it is: I spend a lot more time reading about knitting, looking at pictures of FOs, thinking about stuff I'd like to knit, feeling like I ought to knit but don't really feel like it, or thinking that I WILL knit just as soon as I finish chore X (then procrastinating chore X by surfing the Internet)... then I spend actually knitting.

The rate at which I produce FOs is a testimony to this. :-)

Oh, gosh, that's exactly what I do! And with everything: gardening, cooking, child rearing . . .! Oh--and there's a lot of time and money spent on making whatever it is that I should be doing but am not, easier and better!

Jeanine
RowanFalar Posted - 03/09/2008 : 7:42:40 PM
I was wondering. Is there a knitting template, or a screen shot of the spreadsheets mentioned here?

I'm about 1160 down on the Ravelry list and I'd LOVE to get my stash inventoried before then.

Help?
achrisvet Posted - 03/09/2008 : 05:57:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by fiberlicious

Here's how I remember how to spell gauge: The improper spelling would be pronounced GOO-ahj. Very silly. Easy to remember.

Right. and a "g" followed by an "a" also normally is a hard "g". Thank "garage" The first g is hard, the second, followed by an e is soft. This is true in French also. Think "garder" Hard g.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

achrisvet Posted - 03/09/2008 : 05:45:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by claudzilla

My secret is that I spend as much time stopping and admiring my progress as I do actually knitting. I could knit twice as fast if I just stopped looking!

This is a very smart thing to do as it helps you catch mistakes early when it doesn't hurt as bad to rip back and fix them. Good for you!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

fiberlicious Posted - 03/08/2008 : 4:36:02 PM
Here's how I remember how to spell gauge: The improper spelling would be pronounced GOO-ahj. Very silly. Easy to remember.
DM Posted - 03/08/2008 : 1:12:57 PM
My secret is I had so much stash I built a building for it and then turned it into a store....LOL An other knitting secret is I love to knit gauge swatches....I know but I am such a tight knitter that knitting swatches has helped me loosen up my knitting.....I really just like the act of knitting and so I start lots of project....(swatches) and complete very few. I have 5 UFO beside me and 5 or better tucked away. I just love the feel, color and sight of yarn but have an Attention Deficit quality when it comes to completing projects. I am always looking for my next fix. You can't faut a girl for loving yarn...can you?

DonnaMarie
The Knitters Cottage
Forest City NC
3088margaret Posted - 03/08/2008 : 12:31:09 PM
I've often wondered about the spelling and pronunciation of the word 'gauge' as well and in my dictionary it says the word originally comes from the 'Old Northern French' which I think is why the second 'g' is pronounced as a soft 'j' since it comes before an 'e' ... back to the needles!
Atavistic Posted - 03/08/2008 : 08:51:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kellistarr

Interesting. Is it due to the uninspiring patterns? I find U.S. patterns in magazine publications dull, compared to european.
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

I found knitting mostly uninteresting after moving here.

No. I mostly make my own patterns. Like I said, LIFE got too interesting. Learning a new language, learning a martial art in situ, dealing with a whole new culture...it was all much more interesting than knitting.

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
sarahthomasknits Posted - 03/08/2008 : 08:42:51 AM
My secret is that once I finish an object, wearing it is secondary. I often stuff it in the closet and forget about it. I guess that makes me a process knitter.
Whorled Peace Posted - 03/08/2008 : 08:02:01 AM
My secret is...
...that I knit! I love to knit so much that I feel bad when I've knit so much and I put off doing that which I should to knit instead. I feel like I shouldn't tell anyone when I've knit. It is just so satisfying!
My name is Kellie...and I am a knitaholic.

Whorled Peace
www.whorledpeacehandspun.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe