Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet for beginners - basic questions
 Directions for Pattern - Parenthesis?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gardengal Posted - 03/29/2008 : 8:39:50 PM
Hi, I've been trying to figure out what this part of this pattern means, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

I'm trying to make a string bag, but I think I'm doing it wrong. Here is the thing I'm stuck on:

Round 7 [ch 6, (1 sc, ch 6, 1 sc) in next ch sp, ch 6, 1 sc in next ch sp] 5 times , ch 6, (1 sc, ch 6, 1 sc) in next ch sp, ch 3.

Would it be this way?

1 single crochet in chain space, chain 6, and single crochet in next chain space
1 single crochet in chain space, chain 6, and single crochet in next chain space

ONe more time:
and then chain 3

Or am I getting this all wrong?

I'm not sure what the parentheses are for in this situation. Is it for information in this particular situation?

Thanks so much for your help. I've been trying to find an example of this, but I haven't found anything similar.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cheerleader9 Posted - 03/31/2008 : 2:18:10 PM
I haven't forgotten you! Take a deep breath. You can do this. I'm going to PM you a message with my email address. I'll understand the problem better if you can tell me what went on in row 6. Also, how is this bag joined? I take for granted it's a circular? When I asked about how many chains you are working with I need the # of basic chains that you are trying to do row 7 into. Any chance of you sending a copy via email of the pattern? I'll reread your questions but think it will confuse me more. PM to follow.

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9/]
[http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9]
Barb in AZ

Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.
gardengal Posted - 03/30/2008 : 5:52:50 PM
Hi, Sara Sue and Barb,

Thank you for responding to my questions. I am trying to do crochet it, but it doesn't look right. I don't mean to be so dense.

Is the Chain 6 really composed of a set of single crochet, chain 6, single crochet?

I don't understand how I can chain 6 in a chain space without doing a single, double, or any of the other stitches.

Is it really this?

[Chain 6, in the same chain space, single crochet, chain six, and single crochet in the same chain space

Chain 6 again, 1 single crochet in the next chain space. ]

After I've done that five times, the whole block above, I chain six and single crochet and chain 6 again and single crochet in the same chain space.

Oh, yes, the chain 3 is the turning chain. Does that sound right? I wasn't sure what you meant by how many chains I'm working with. If it's chain spaces, I was up to 11 chain spaces in Round 6--the round before.

Thanks again for all your help!
Cheerleader9 Posted - 03/30/2008 : 06:37:50 AM
Here's how I read it. Everything within the [-] bracket is repeated 5 times. The (-) bracket is a unit within the [-]'s. You are doing the (1sc,ch6,1sc) into every other chain space. Repeat until you get to the last stitch (should be 5 times), and do the ch 6, (1sc, ch6, 1sc) into the last stitch. I imagine the chain 3 is a turning chain?

I can visualize it this way. If it doesn't work for you let me know. Tell me how many chains you're working with and I'll crochet it to see how it works. Good luck. We all need help sometimes.

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9/]
[http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9]
Barb in AZ

Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.
Sara Sue Posted - 03/29/2008 : 10:40:11 PM
It's been a long time since I crocheted, but this is how I would do it.

Chain 6. In the next chain space - do 1 sc, ch 6, and 1 sc (all of that goes in the same chain space.)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe