Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 What would be your ideal yarn storage?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Amarula Posted - 03/13/2008 : 5:50:19 PM
..Plastic bins? Cedar chests? A dresser with drawers just for yarn? Some ideas, please!!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sue the nomad Posted - 04/16/2008 : 12:26:31 PM
I'm lucky enough to have a spare bedroom that gives me desk space and space for plastic drawers with my stash in. problem was, where did I store those WIPs in my sitting room without them looking unsightly and messy. Solution? Ikea - i bought some komplement shoe storage - they're packed flat but open up in to nylon boxes with a clear flap at one end that velcro closes - now each WIP is stored in its own shoe box, and stored neatly under my coffee table - I can easily see which project is in which 'box' and dust can't get it - just about perfect - just wish I'd bought more than four so I could have more projects on the go at once (my eyes get tired at work so I need something easy on the eyes for when I get home, then something more challenging as I relax into the evening, and then there's always that project I promised a friend and so on - ooh, and the small portable project that goes into work with me for break and lunch times - does this mean I'm totally obsessed?)
schrafinator Posted - 04/16/2008 : 03:37:15 AM
quote:
How about a masseuse in the next room to massage those stiff shoulders and arms after a marathon of knitting?

No, no, no, what you want is a masseur.

GGKnits Posted - 04/10/2008 : 10:39:31 AM
ROOM would be my dream storage. Room to have storage boxes/bins, room for needles, room for books. Can you tell that we have a small house seriously lacking in storage space? I will need to wait a year for my soon to go off to college and then possibly another year or so before I can claim his room for my own.

The reality is plastic storage bins......
BlueStocking Posted - 04/10/2008 : 08:18:00 AM
I have an old cedar chest that was my great grandmother's, next to my side of the bed. I've used it for years for my wool / protein fibers, and never (totally knocking on wood) had a pest problem.

My spinning fibers are in large plastic tubs, with lots of herbs tucked around. I know some people poo-poo the idea of herbs working, but so far they've worked very well for me.

Dream storage? Definitely a separate studio, where I could gather everything together ... with a large cedar lined closet for my spinning fibers, and lots of shelves and cabinets and cubbies ... and squashy sofas ... and dyeing tables ... and my fiber washing machine ... and a woodstove for chilly days ...

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com

hillstreetmama Posted - 04/04/2008 : 2:05:59 PM
There is no Ikea near here, but I did see a catalogue once. My daughter wanted to buy an apartment bed frame/desk set that was only a little over $100, but the SHIPPING was $250!!! She didn't buy it, of course. They had neat stuff in the catalogue, but I believe it's only feasible to buy if you have a store nearby.

Jan
knitabit33 Posted - 04/04/2008 : 06:46:19 AM
The IKEA shelves are wonderful.

Karen
Janbie Posted - 04/04/2008 : 05:05:50 AM
Let's see...I think if I just had some simple IKEA shelves, the, kind that had cubbies to hold different weights of yarns, then grouped according to color, that would be fine with me. Unfortunately, we don't have any IKEAs here in Denver, for some strange reason - just like we don't have Trader Joe's

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller
luvstoknit Posted - 04/03/2008 : 2:55:57 PM
I have a medium size bedroom that has been converted into a knitting room. In it I have my computer (for looking up those endless free patterns on the internet!), my favorite chair and ottoman, my sewing machine (stays set up, I don't have to put it away, yay!), and all of my yarn and other knitting supplies. I have it stored in various ways: baskets, those rolling dressers with basket drawers, plastic tubs (in the closets, of course), and a rather different way: a plastic shoe bag that is the length of my closet door. The pockets have side openings and are clear so at least 2 skeins of yarn or more fit in each opening and you can see what's there! I also have a cedar chest with "Yarn & Needles" carved into it. It's my little slice of "knitter's paradise".
scarfitup Posted - 04/03/2008 : 10:59:10 AM
But Chris! You probably have great LYS from which to choose! I am yarn-deprived! Well, my husband wouldn't exactly agree, but I do miss the yarn stores in New England (but not the weather!) where I could touch and feel, sniff and smell, and actually EXPERIENCE fibers in person - and also find great sales.

I migrated to my new space from a microscopic laundry room with a few bins for yarn. So I do feel blessed!

Have a great day, everyone!
Louise

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

chris Posted - 04/03/2008 : 09:09:11 AM
Oh, Louise! You are blessed! Your room sounds like heaven on earth.

When we were in MS, I had my own room -jeez we had 5 bedrooms and only the two of us, but the house was a steal! Unfortunately, since the move to WI, I only have a bit of space in the hallway leading to the "master suite" (old house, small closets; we made the second upstairs bedroom into a walk in closet and call it a master suite). All my yarn is in an old dresser, the drawers of which I lined with cedar, and a couple clear plastic tubs. I do miss having a whole room to spread out in.

Anyone in SE Wisconsin or northern Illinois, the Iris plant here is having a warehouse sale on May 2, 3, and 4...maybe you could get some storage then!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
PatT Posted - 04/03/2008 : 07:04:02 AM
I'm a real estate agent and recently saw a house for sale that had a Murphy bed in one of the bedrooms -- but the outside surface (which ends up facing the floor when the bed is open) had beautiful wood 'egg-crate' frames (attached) that held sliding front doors of clear plastic, all full of yarn!! Great design element in the room when it was closed, and great storage! (I have two closets full of knitting, weaving, and sewing materials -- but not enough shelves, so things pile up in bags and baskets on the floor.)
sheilalib Posted - 04/03/2008 : 06:29:44 AM
My dream craft room is just a few months away. When my son moves away this summer (his decision), I'll have the sunniest room in the house to dedicate to my crafty pursuits. I'll have a comfy chair, a futon, a t.v., shelves for my knitting books and mags, and a closet for most of my stash. I'll work out the rest of the details after I take possession and finish cleaning the room (a daunting prospect that overshadows any sunny imaginings).
tmknits Posted - 04/03/2008 : 04:54:44 AM
My "dream yarn storage setup" would be a large cedar room with cedar storage cubes lining the walls and a rocking chair in case I am compelled to get started right away.

Alas, my stash resides in Rubbermaid bins.
scarfitup Posted - 04/03/2008 : 04:40:25 AM
I've been so lucky to have JUST had my dream space built!!! It's not a dedicated room (it's a guest room too in what's called a bonus room or FROG here in the South - Finished Room Over Garage!), but it's infrequently used for guests! So at one end, against the windows, we had built-ins created from KraftMaid kitchen cabinetry. I designed the space, some cabinets with pull-out drawers inside, some with mostly narrow drawers to hold carded balls, some deep drawers with dividers to sort wool or cotton skeins by color or type. One set of cabinets houses plastic storage units for buttons, clip-on earrings (I collect them for use on neckwraps, purses, etc.), fabric, and one space is ACTUALLY EMPTY!!! A small set of upper cabinets provides space to insert small plastic storage units for beads, glue, etc.

The top is white formica - so it reflects lots more light and is easy to clean. It's so wonderful - bright, sunny, lighting when it isn't! It's got TV, radio, phone - everything I need! And it's got beds, a sofa, ironing board, sewing machine set up in a closet space. It is easy to clean up for guests (got to do that today since my family is arriving tomorrow!)

This is the first time I've actually described it, and now I KNOW how lucky I am! Only thing - now my husband KNOWS about my stash, so I have to hide anything new (and I just ordered MORE from eBay this week!) YIKES!!!

Louise

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

hillstreetmama Posted - 04/03/2008 : 04:21:02 AM
When the last two kids are gone, I'm going to get a studio for my fabric and yarn stash. I like the plastic drawers - for fabric, the individual drawers that stack are much sturdier than the ones that already come in 3's. For yarn, the 3-drawer sets are fine. I will line my walls with the drawers, and the clear fronts will enable me to see what's in them. I will have an area for my sewing machines, a large cutting surface, lots of lighting, and two nice comfy chairs to sit and knit. Two, of course, so that a friend can sit and knit with me. My CD player will be set up so I can listen to Phil Coulter while I knit. I'll need some sturdy shelves for all my books. Of course, I'll have to retire early to enjoy all this, but DH can keep working....

Jan
Eleanor Posted - 04/03/2008 : 04:00:13 AM
Just give me ONE ROOM in my house, the sunniest one preferably, that is ALL MINE to devote to my crafts, mostly knitting so lots of room for displaying yarn and all it's glorious colors, etc. I'd like TWO BIG COMFY chairs, so that I may have a guest to knit-a-long with, if I choose! Also, a great source of music and a tv of course. And that's it for now! Or should I say, enough for now! lol
Remar Posted - 04/03/2008 : 02:48:33 AM
My dream like several of forum members here is to have a dedicated crafts studio with one wall of floor to ceiling cedar glass front cabinets for my yarn. Another wall of cabinets to store all of my fabric and sewing supplies and a third wall of cabinets to store my beading and jewelery making supplies. The fourth wall would be sliding glass doors so I could step out on my deck and admire my view of the ocean (hey, I might as well dream big). In the middle of the room would be a large crafts table with room for my cutting board and blocking board. I'd also have a really comfortable easy chair so I could relax while I knit.

Reality storage? Yarn is in plastic bins in the corner of my living room. Knitting books are in a bookshelf in my bedroom. Fabric is on a shelf in my hall closet and jewelry supplies are in my bedroom. Works in progress are in tote bags in my bedroom. Fortunately I don't have many works in progress because I only have 2 tote bags. I tend to keep working on something until it's finished. But then I've only been knitting for 18 months, I may accumulate more WIPs as I gain more experience. I also have to work on increasing my stash, I'd love to find some nice silk blends in a range of colors. I'm going to have to make a trip to Silk City for their warehouse outlet sales.

Happy knitting.

Renee

To dance or to knit; choose both or nothing at all.
felicie Posted - 04/03/2008 : 12:05:14 AM
OMG Sheila . I thought my stash was huge!!! My ideal would be a mini version of a cozy LYS with squashy sofas, cozy afghans (knitted by me of course) an open fire and wonderful speakers for my ipod. VIP access only to me of course
susan14_23 Posted - 04/02/2008 : 3:29:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Amarula

Hey, several of you have mentioned cedar shelving. But if it's open (not closed drawers), is that enough to repel moths?

But Amarula, remember we are dreaming here - in our dream world moths have long been extinct! Or else they eat only the cheapest acrylic!

I'd love a room with floor to ceiling shelves like others have described, also with a spinning wheel and a swift and ballwinder. I'd organize my yarn by fiber, then by weight, then by color. I'd have an antique cabinet to store my needles and other tools. I'd have a pair of knitting needles owned by Queen Victoria. How about a masseuse in the next room to massage those stiff shoulders and arms after a marathon of knitting?

Reality: Two large and one under-bed Rubbermaid containers in the bedroom for my yarn, with my knitting books and tools on a shelf in the closet. I keep lavender soap in the plastic bins to repel moths. I'm pretty happy with my set-up. If I were going to change anything but stay within the realm of what's practical I would like a nice cabinet for my tools instead of the closet shelf. I'm torn between wanting some cedar chests for the yarn; it would look nice but you wouldn't be able to see the yarn as easily as with the plastic bins. Maybe a glass cabinet?

Susan
Wheat Posted - 04/02/2008 : 12:17:28 PM
A Commercial sized walkin Freezer, with shelves set up like a LYS,

Powered off the grid

Blog: Wheat Wrote WHAT? http://www.wheatcarr.com/
Ravelry: wheat
Yahoo: wheatcarr

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.