Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Mitten mission/favorite pattern

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DebbiOH Posted - 08/20/2008 : 04:06:13 AM
Just like most everyone here I have single balls of yarn as leftovers from projects completed (or not!) So now I'm on a "mitten mission"
I have a pattern that I've used over and over in the past but wondered if there were other patterns that some of you thought were fun to make up.

I love to make small items, socks and mittens, etc in summer.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
adalton124 Posted - 09/15/2008 : 05:21:29 AM
I like the mitten pamphlet book from Mission falls. She has some stripey ones that would be perfect to use up leftovers.

Angela
DebbiOH Posted - 09/11/2008 : 06:53:14 AM
I posted that my husband said I had a package with a knitting book and then I never posted what the book was. Someone, probably on this list, sent me Charlene Schurch's Mostly Mittens?. I hadn't seen this book before, and the thumb construction is new to me. Many of the techniques are new to me. So let me say a blind thank you to whoever was thoughtful to send the book. I apologize for not writing sooner, but I have a summer cold that will not let go of me. It's taking forever to get back to my old self. Ok, done whining,,,,,couldn't help myself. Actually the cold has given me permission to sit in the evenings cuddled in my favorite chair and knit and watch old movies. I'm in the middle of that Andrew Hardy series. Good old fashioned stories.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
KathyR Posted - 09/09/2008 : 3:47:23 PM
quote:
I have printed out a few patterns for fingerless mitts from Ravelry, and plan to knit some during the summer when the weather is to warm for working on large projects.

You'll be all set for when the cooler weather comes, Leslie!

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
busygirl Posted - 09/09/2008 : 1:02:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KathyR

I prefer knitting fingerless mitts. There are heaps of free patterns for these on the net.

KathyR

My Blog

Kathy,

I have printed out a few patterns for fingerless mitts from Ravelry, and plan to knit some during the summer when the weather is to warm for working on large projects.

Leslie

My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
ElraTyln Posted - 09/09/2008 : 11:34:57 AM
I like the Fetching gloves from Knitty. They are my first fingerless gloves or any gloves at all and they are turning out really nice :)

Ravelry: ElraTyln
linda knits Posted - 08/26/2008 : 11:39:52 AM
I like this post. I have been making mittens to go with a bunch of hats I made. My favorite ones are basic mittens by Ann Norling.
DebbiOH Posted - 08/26/2008 : 08:46:38 AM
Hey,
My husband is at home today and said a box came for me. I told him to open it and it contained a book for making mittens. Which one of you saintly people sent me a book? I'll find out more about it when I get home and will keep you updated. I'm so excited.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
orangeknits Posted - 08/25/2008 : 6:15:53 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info..... I've been wanting to knit some mittens myself. Thanks again
jtamsn Posted - 08/24/2008 : 1:09:55 PM
I make lots of mittens for charity and relatives. My current favorite mitten pattern is from a "Cottage Creations" leaflet called Projects for Community Knitting by Carol A. Anderson. Got it in one of my LYS. I like it so much because you dont increase for the thumb gusset, instead you continue the "gusset" stitches in rib, place on waste yarn, continue to knit the mitten. When the mitten is done you take the stitches from waste yarn and knit the thumb in rib to the decrease. With the thumb in ribbing it seems thicker and thus warmer.
judy
shirlucky Posted - 08/24/2008 : 03:12:38 AM
For using scraps I like Newfoundland Mittens. They are pretty and interesting to
make. One pattern is at

http://creativewhimsy.wordpress.com/patterns/newfoundland-mitts/
KathyR Posted - 08/23/2008 : 3:46:18 PM
I prefer knitting fingerless mitts. There are heaps of free patterns for these on the net.

KathyR

My Blog
hillstreetmama Posted - 08/23/2008 : 3:16:25 PM
I reworked a pattern from the 70's - it was knitted flat, and I use DPN's. I also changed it so it fits MY hand. I add in cables, or whatever stitch tickles my fancy at the moment. It was trial and error as to where to put it so that it looks centerd on the back of my hand, but I think I've got that down pat now. I also have the Favorite Mittens book, and love to read it for ideas.

Jan
queen of the east Posted - 08/23/2008 : 2:52:00 PM
Most of my favorite basic type mitten patterns are from 1940's era pattern books I inherited from my Mum. The patterns are written for a plain mitten but there are pages of little charts for different patterns to knit into the mitts, deer, bunnies, squirrels, all kinds of motifs.
I love two books in particular, Knitting Fair Isle Mittens& Gloves by Carol Rasmussen Noble and Handplagg Til Bunader og Folkedrakter by Heidi Fossnes. Handplagg has a pattern for some felted gaunlet style mitts covered with stunning traditional Norwegian embroidery.
My absolute favorite pair of mittens are the Poetry Mittens from the Jan/Feb 08' issue of PieceWork magazine. I loved wearing them last winter, in fact I am looking forward to having them on my hands again soon.

Ann in Montreal
fibreon Posted - 08/23/2008 : 10:46:27 AM
My very favorite book is Magnificent Mittens by Anna Zilborg (sp?). It is out of print and sells on ebay and amazon for prices over $100. They are beautiful mittens with lots of color and embellishment. I wish Knitter's magazine would consider republishing this book.

Kay Wagner
Danbury CT
queenmaxine Posted - 08/21/2008 : 10:54:33 AM
My current mitten obsession is Terri Shea's Selbuvotter book and I intend to use it as a stash busting exercise. Other than that, there is a pettern in One Skein Wonders (the first one, I think) That is felted with a non felted cuff that I have used. I have made Malabrigo sets with this mitten pattern and the My So Called Scarf because I know I can get a set from 2 skeins.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
scraffan Posted - 08/21/2008 : 08:40:43 AM
favorite mitten pattern = the sideways mittens. I can whip up a pair in a weekend.
favorite glove pattern - sideways gloves.
I have pictures of the gloves in my flickr account
www.wildyarns123.com/
Karen
kcknitnut Posted - 08/21/2008 : 07:32:47 AM
Love the sock idea. I have another project for LOTS of leftovers that was picked out by my DGD. It was in the Vogue Knitting Mag several yrs ago. 48 squares are made from point to point,enlarging from 2 sts to 30sts and decreased back to 2 sts. It is suggested that yarn change be made at the 30 sts,so you can use LOTS of different yarns. All done in garter st. The best part is that you can take it anywhere,just like socks for past-time knitting.
Happy Knitting.........KC
purlthis Posted - 08/21/2008 : 07:28:13 AM
I have a super old mitten pattern booklet from at least the 50's, if not older. It's in the public domain if you'd like a few, I can dig them up.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Suzanne C. Posted - 08/21/2008 : 04:59:08 AM
A second vote here for the Robin Hansen book(s). Actually the best of all worlds would be to get your hands on her original two books- Flying Geese and Partridge Feet and Fox and Geese and Fences. They have been condensed into the Favorite Mittens book. I cannot count how many pairs of mittens I've made from these books over the past 20 years, but it is a lot!
Another good source of mitten patterns are vintage booklets from the 50's and 60's. They are easily and inexpensively found on ebay or from Vintage Knits-

http://vintageknits.com/osc/index.php?cPath=21_35

If you feel really daring, there is always Selbuvotter!
Suzanne

Clara Posted - 08/20/2008 : 1:00:52 PM
Oh yes, Sandi Rosner wrote those books - they're excellent! Also, in terms of having a one-book-does-it-all foundation of basic mitten patterns, I'd go for Robin Hansen's book Favorite Mittens.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe