Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 A book of stitches

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 09/06/2008 : 12:07:42 PM
I think it's time to invest in a book of knitting stitch patterns. What do you recommend?

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scraffan Posted - 09/14/2008 : 5:06:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mercab2002

. Needless to say I need ideas for all the great yarn I bought. I love to knit hats and socks and am currently looking for a pattern for fingerless mitts. any suggestions?

If you want something to change; change something.

Join Raverly. There is a group there for fingerless mmittens. I cannot tell you how many patterns they have available. Never took the time to count them but there are all sorts of styles to look at.

Also I bet if you google free fingerless glove knit patterns you should come up with some.

I think Berroco Yarn if you go to their offical webpage, they offer free patterns, I think they might have a pair too.

Good luck on your search.
Karen
2totangle Posted - 09/14/2008 : 12:56:24 PM
Hi, Squam, and welcome. I'm a right-hander who knits left-handed and loves charts. I think it's just a matter of how your brain works best. In school, I loved geometry, and I'm very visual, so I'll often chart out written directions for myself just to make the knitting go easier. Others prefer algebra, or trig, or hate math altogether. Just find what works for you (e.g., you might find yourself writing out directions from charts -- the opposite of what I do) and roll with it.

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Squam Posted - 09/14/2008 : 11:26:25 AM
Here's another vote for Barbara Walker's Treasuries. I only have #2, which was a gift. Would love to buy the others, but am hesitating as I spent nearly a whole winter trying out different patterns in the one I do have. No charts doesn't bother me at all as I find them confusing. (You all should have seen the mess I made of Alix's Lace Prayer Shawl - "Back on Blossom Street" trying to use one.)
Question - does anyone think my problem with charts stems from my being left-handed and knitting right handed?
ceecee Posted - 09/13/2008 : 2:45:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bookrep

The original editions of the Harmony Guides are much better than the Interweave reprints, IMHO.

200 Ripple Stitches (Krause Publications, ISBN 089689276X) is another favorite of mine. I use it over and over.

Have the mistakes been corrected in this one? I've seen several reviews from people who tried some of the patterns and found errors.
mercab2002 Posted - 09/13/2008 : 12:19:38 PM
Thanks for the tips.I'm back to knitting again after 25 years and went to my first yarn festival. Needless to say I need ideas for all the great yarn I bought. I love to knit hats and socks and am currently looking for a pattern for fingerless mitts. any suggestions?

If you want something to change; change something.
Mocha Posted - 09/12/2008 : 12:29:48 AM
Wonder why nobody says EZ?

Ok sorry, I didn't read the topic properly. It's book of stitches... and not knitting book in general.
bookrep Posted - 09/11/2008 : 6:41:55 PM
The original editions of the Harmony Guides are much better than the Interweave reprints, IMHO.

200 Ripple Stitches (Krause Publications, ISBN 089689276X) is another favorite of mine. I use it over and over.
Calamintha Posted - 09/11/2008 : 07:37:57 AM
In fairness to the Harmony Guides I have say also that the originals were a good value for the money. Not as good as the Walker books but not bad and much less expensive. However, the republication by Interweave is nowhere near good as the original version and much costlier.
akirkman Posted - 09/11/2008 : 07:31:13 AM
The Barbara Walker books, of course, the ORIGINAL Harmony books, not the pathetic renditions that were put out last year, and Sharon Miller's Heirloom Knitting.
cmerril44@peoplepc.com Posted - 09/11/2008 : 07:30:16 AM
I also love Barbara Walker's books, and I use them a lot. I would like to suggest, however, the Japanese pattern books "Knitting Pattern Book 250" and 500. Wonderful, unusual, imaginative patterns, like nothing I have ever seen elsewhere. I can't remember the name of the store in the states that sells them, but I know you can get them on Amazon.jp. Here are some links:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%A3%92%E9%87%9D%E7%B7%A8%E3%81%BF-%E3%83%91%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%96%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF300/dp/4529041727/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221139661&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%81%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%BB%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-%E6%A8%A1%E6%A7%98%E7%B7%A8%E3%81%BF250-%E5%BF%97%E7%94%B0-%E3%81%B2%E3%81%A8%E3%81%BF/dp/452904176X/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221139661&sr=8-11

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%A8%A1%E6%A7%98%E7%B7%A8500%E2%80%95%E6%A3%92%E9%87%9D%E3%81%82%E3%81%BF-%E6%A8%A1%E6%A7%98%E5%88%A5%E6%B1%BA%E5%AE%9A%E7%89%88/dp/4529015882/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221139869&sr=8-29

Although the instructions are in Japanese, the designs are all charted and easy to follow. They are made up of stitches you've never seen before, though. "For the adventurous knitter."

DebbiOH Posted - 09/11/2008 : 06:42:12 AM
I'm another Barbara Walker girl.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
jel50@sbcglobal.net Posted - 09/11/2008 : 04:35:58 AM
I have both the Barbara Walker's and the Harmony Guides, and several other reference books. The Walker books are the first ones to get for yourself - and you will use them for years and years. There are many other stitch guides you can add to your library if you want them - I'm trying not to buy more books, and so far, between the Walker books and the internet I have found enough to keep even me satisfied.
Jane Posted - 09/11/2008 : 02:18:57 AM
One more vote for Barbara Walker -- I treasure my Treasuries, with or without the charts. They're my basic references, even though I have a small collection of good stitch dictionaries.

Jane

Betty needs a vacation: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
sockjoan Posted - 09/11/2008 : 12:45:50 AM
I also like the 3 Barbara Walker treasuries best. I prefer to work from charts, so I use the system she describes in Vol. 3 to chart any stitch I want to use from the earlier two volumes. I bought the first Harmony Guide more than 20 years ago, & was frustrated by the lack of an index, so a young friend with a computer helped me make one. No reference book should be without a comprehensive index! - And once you've learnt to draw stitch charts, you can change stitch patterns if necessary to make them fit, for instance, the number of stitches you need in your pattern repeat.
aradiva Posted - 09/10/2008 : 11:59:24 PM
I got the Walker Treasuries as a set a couple of weeks ago and I think they're fantastic, and have hardly even begun to explore them yet. This is in marked contrast to my reaction to the Harmony Guide to Lace and Eyelets that I got over the summer. I had heard good things about the Harmony Guides, but I was very disappointed with it when it showed up. There does not appear to be *any* sort of organization, the stitches are just randomly tossed throughout the book, as far as I can tell. The color photos are pretty, of course. But the stitches are not charted, and there is no commentary to help one decide which stitches to choose as there is in the Walker books.
Calamintha Posted - 09/09/2008 : 07:50:03 AM
Have to agree. I also prefer charts but would never consider giving up my Walker Treasuries that don't have them. As mentioned it's easy to make your own charts. There are even some software programs like Stitch & Motif Maker that you can use if you want to do them on the computer. The Walker books really are unique among stitch dictionaries. Even the b & w photos show the stitches off better in some respects than a color photo would in my opinion.
yarnlover Posted - 09/09/2008 : 07:16:25 AM
quote:
if you like to work from charts, don't waste your time/money on any of them

I only have volume 2 - snatched it up at our local library sale for $3 - and have been using it for lace. I'm knitting lace scarves by choosing lace patterns that I like and that I think go well together. I've been creating my own charts from the written instructions and find it easy to do. So, I wouldn't agree 100% with the statement above - it depends on whether or not you are willing to do the work of chart creation. I haven't knit any cables though, so can't offer an opinion on that.

2totangle Posted - 09/08/2008 : 08:22:03 AM
Another vote for Walker. I initially bought Volumes 1 and 2 of the Vogue Stitchionary series, which have the advantage of nice color photos. However, once I got the Walker books I realized how many recent books rely on her stitch patterns and how many knitting patterns incorporate them. Now I spot Walker stitch patterns everywhere, usually without attribution.

To make up for the lack of color photos in the books, you can just go to the Walker Treasury Project (http://thewalkertreasury.wordpress.com/) to check out pretty pictures of swatches. I received some unexpected birthday checks, so I splurged on all four books at once and got a 10% discount from Schoolhouse Press (http://schoolhousepress.com/stitchpatts.htm).

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Kade1301 Posted - 09/08/2008 : 07:33:37 AM
I "like to work from charts", but I still wouldn't want to be without Treasury 1 and 2. The books are so good that the quality outweighs the no-charts disadvantage, and I can always chart any stitches I can't cope with from the written instructions alone (which so far has only happened for circular knitting).

Vol. 1 and 2 each have about 30 pages of cables (2 to 3 patterns per page), Vol. 2 also has 20 cable-stitch patterns (all-over patterns). Vol. 3 has 40 pages of cables, 20 pages of closed-ring designs in cabling (including a peace symbol) and 16 pages of cable-stitch patterns. As the charts need space, there's normally only 1, sometimes 2 patterns per page in the third volume. The most interesting thing in the fourth Treasury is the three-strand cable knitted with two cable needles - but you'll have to decide whether you want to pay 30 dollars for one stitch pattern (of course there's others in the book, but really, I could do without them).

By the way, I haven't counted the twisted stitch patterns, and the cables hidden in other sections (like ribbing).

Hope the info helps! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
knitz2 Posted - 09/08/2008 : 05:59:12 AM
Re: the Walker Treasury series ... if you like to work from charts, don't waste your time/money on any of them except Vol 3, but Vol 3 does have a cable section.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe