Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Wheels
 Country Craftsman Spinning Wheel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nbvance Posted - 09/23/2008 : 7:35:55 PM
I purchased a Country Craftsman Spinning Wheel (J. Franzek Jr.) back in 1991 while I lived in Tennessee (with the hopes to grow my own cotton ... spin and then knit a sweater) It was a little ambitious but really fun to learn! -- I have used it very little and have moved it with me to Palm Springs CA area. It is in very good condition and was wondering if there was someone who could help me in pricing it, to sell. I have everything including the combs for wool and cotton, stool, linen stuff etc.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance. Nancy

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
btb462 Posted - 04/07/2012 : 4:48:26 PM
Just found this KRF and reading about Country Craftsman J Rooney spinning wheel. I have a chance to purchase one for $175 + SH. My question is can I find parts and supplies for this J Rooney SW? He said it had never been used and the pictures look good. It has 13 spokes and really is lovely. Would I go wrong with this purchase or should I look for something else?
Thanks
Btb462
GrannaOnTheFarm Posted - 08/11/2009 : 12:05:49 AM
I have a 13-spoke Country Craftsman made and "signed" by Jerome Rooney, the original owner of the company (1972-1981). Do you know anyone else who has one like this? An email from Cindy Franzek, wife of the 2nd owner of Country Craftsman, said Mr. Rooney made some 13-spoke wheels but Mr. Franzek didn't. I'd appreciate any information anyone has on this wheel. I'd love to attach a picture but haven't figured out how to do that yet!

Here's a bit of history on the now defunct company:

From 1969 to 1971, Jerome Rooney made spinning wheels for display. He was not aware that people were spinning and that there was a market for dependable, functioning wheels. Upon learning of this, he visited the Museum of American Textile History, North Andover, MA. The curator of the museum provided Rooney the opportunity to see their large collection of spinning wheels, many of which were in storage. One wheel in particular, a 1700#700;s Saxony flax wheel, caught his eye. After much measuring, comparing, and design work, the Country Craftsman spinning wheel was born. It was a beautiful, smooth, and responsive wheel, and a joy to spin on. It excelled in producing medium to very fine yarn.

Joseph Franzek started working with Rooney in Sept, 1972. When Rooney retired in 1982, Franzek took over his business. The Country Craftsman was built and distributed by Joseph Franzek, and his wife Cindy, until about 2003, when they decided to retire from custom woodworking.

Parts will continue to be available until the Country Craftsman wood shop runs out, though the wheels are no longer being built.
nbvance Posted - 10/01/2008 : 7:58:04 PM
Thanks so much this is really good information. I will use this as a starting point. Thx - Nancy
quote:
Originally posted by petiteflower

I have been watching the wheels sell on e-bay now for 4 years, I mean pretty much solid. I always take note of the Country Craftsman wheels because I think they are very nice and I am amazed that they don't sell for more. They were somewhere around $500 or so new at the time they fizzled out which was just a few years ago. But used on e-bay they fetch usually not much more than $300. I've seen quite a few go for $225 or less. And what really gets me is that the used Ashford Traditionals routinely bring in the same price or more as the Country Craftsman.

A well-cared for Country Craftsman wheel is a very nice wheel to have. It has a good heavy drive wheel and is smooth operating, very pleasing to look at, a replica of a Colonial antique with a stately presence.

As a wheel that is no longer made, it's my opinion that it should be worth at least its original selling price, just like the Rick Reeves wheels. But it just isn't that way. It may fetch $350 for the wheel and stool. Your carders or combs and other things would be extra.

petiteflower Posted - 09/29/2008 : 12:35:26 PM
I have been watching the wheels sell on e-bay now for 4 years, I mean pretty much solid. I always take note of the Country Craftsman wheels because I think they are very nice and I am amazed that they don't sell for more. They were somewhere around $500 or so new at the time they fizzled out which was just a few years ago. But used on e-bay they fetch usually not much more than $300. I've seen quite a few go for $225 or less. And what really gets me is that the used Ashford Traditionals routinely bring in the same price or more as the Country Craftsman.

A well-cared for Country Craftsman wheel is a very nice wheel to have. It has a good heavy drive wheel and is smooth operating, very pleasing to look at, a replica of a Colonial antique with a stately presence.

As a wheel that is no longer made, it's my opinion that it should be worth at least its original selling price, just like the Rick Reeves wheels. But it just isn't that way. It may fetch $350 for the wheel and stool. Your carders or combs and other things would be extra.
MindyO Posted - 09/25/2008 : 7:49:12 PM
You could contaxt some online dealers, doing a search I found Detta's Spindle and Mielke's both of course didn't have any, but do sell accesories. I guess the wheel is no longer made? But they may kn ow what it's value would be. Or a local shop might be able to tell you if you were to bring it in. Might even do a consignment sale for you. Can't hurt to ask.

My Flickr pics
Ravelry: MindyO
fiberlicious Posted - 09/25/2008 : 7:31:37 PM
You may want to check out Ebay to see what others are selling for.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe