Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 most stretchy bind-off?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dschmidt Posted - 09/29/2008 : 7:31:51 PM
Give me some help here -- what is the most stretchy bind-off?

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KrazyKim Posted - 10/02/2008 : 10:58:43 PM
I've had great success with the "Norwegian Cast-Off", for socks (and I'm the tightest caster-offer you've ever seen!). I Google it on my iPhone, and there's at least one great tutorial (in pictures) that comes up on the first page.

I also have used the crochet cast off (mentioned in the "Twisted Sister's Socks" book).

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
dschmidt Posted - 10/02/2008 : 5:36:59 PM
Wow, lots of great suggestions. I will have to print these out and then dig out my Interweave mag.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
achrisvet Posted - 10/02/2008 : 3:37:21 PM
I learned the invisble bind off for 1x1 rib from the last Interweave Knits. It's related to Kitchener. I had done it a different way before: you separate the knits and purls onto 2 dpns then kitchener them together. The way IK way does it all on one needle. It was very confusing to read, but once I understood that I was just doing kitchener it was simple. So just imagine that the knit stitches are the needles on the front needle of a sock and the purl stitches are the back needle. It makes a very stretchy edging and you can't see that there is a bind off at all. I love it. I've done the cuffs and neckline of a sweater, and if I ever finish the never ending bottom ribbing I will use it there also.

ETA: the article in IK also had instructions for 2x2 rib, but I haven't tried that.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

lemons Posted - 10/02/2008 : 11:58:41 AM
I feel a little embarrassed to confess this...it's awfully simple. But for my many toe-up socks, I finish off the ribbing, which is usually a 2x2 rib, by knitting front andback in the 2nd knit stitch in each rib in the last row before I find off. Then I bind off 2 knit stitches and 3 purl stitches all the way around. The top looks a little ripply when it's sitting in my drawer, but it is never, ever obvious when it's being worn.

lemons of missouri
balancingact Posted - 10/02/2008 : 11:20:35 AM
I use the cast off for the Tuscany shawl pattern in No Sheep For You. I think it's a called a Russian cast off and it's very stretchy.
Beverly0316 Posted - 10/02/2008 : 10:17:39 AM
My last sock was toe-up, & I suddenly needed a stretchy bind-off. (after my usual bind-off wouldn't go over my heels!) I forget where I got this one, but it really worked well for me.

Suspended Stitch Bind Off
Knit 2.
* With left hand needle point, pull first stitch over the second stitch, but do not remove the stitch off the left needle (i.e. you are suspending, or deferring dropping that stitch off the left needle).
Going around front of that stitch with your right hand needle, knit the next stitch.
Now slip both stitches off left needle.
You will have 2 stitch loops on your right needle. This completes the binding off of one stitch.
Repeat from * across all stitches.
When all stitches have been removed from left needle, with left needle point pull first stitch over the second stitch, dropping that stitch off left needle. Cut yarn and pull tail through remaining stitch.
If you need an even looser edge, you may want to use a size or two larger needle for your right hand needle while doing the bind off.

I was very pleased with it. When relaxed, it almost looked like a picot edge. This is one I'm going to keep around.

Beverly from Texas

Veni, Vidi, Socchi -- I came, I saw, I knit a sock!
Catharine Posted - 10/02/2008 : 09:33:55 AM
Try this, especially for ribbing.
Using a crochet hook the same size as the knitting needle & keeping fabric on left needle, draw up a loop in the first stitch to be bound off. Slip that first stitch off the needle, *chain 1, draw up another loop in the next stitch & drop it off the needle; repeat from * across or around.

End by drawing the yarn end through the last stitch (or in rounds, with slip stitch in first stitch) to secure. This provides extra ease when stretched & looks like slight picot edge when contracted.

You can use this technique to change the color of the edge as a trim, but don't tie a knot at the beginning; just leave a long tail & work it in, weave it in later, or use it to make the seam.

Increasing the size of the crochet hook 1 or 2 sizes can increase the ease. It works especially nicely for cuffs on childrens clothes. I've also seen similar directions for finishing lace shawls using 5 or 6 chains or more between bound off stitches which gives a very expandable, looped edging. Longer loops resemble fringe without the steps needed to cut and attach fringe. This is also helpful when the yarn tends to shed from cut ends.

Enjoy!
Grandma Cate, happily retired in VA
rather be knitting Posted - 10/01/2008 : 8:01:59 PM
Hi Barbara,
Yes, that's a typical loose bind off used in many shawl patterns (Shetland Triangle, Forest Canopy, Fiber trends patterns). I bound off a Shetland Triangle over the weekend using that method. Yarn was a thin fingering (less substantial than Gloss) on #6 needles, and i bound off with a #8. The Shetland Triangle is a fir cone pattern and needs to be SEVERELY blocked. You could see the points as i bound off. I stretched them quite a bit and pinned them when i blocked. The bind off worked fine and the shawl dried nicely. Good luck finishing your shawl. I'm sure it will be beautiful.
Happy knitting,
claire
knits_for_preemies Posted - 10/01/2008 : 2:06:09 PM
I am ready to bind off my first "real" lace shawl. Hooray!!

The directions call the bind off "elastic bind off". Here is what it says to do: (I'm asking you because this pattern has had some errors in it that I've managed to work out, but I don't want a mess-up here at this stage of the game.)

k2,*transfer the 2 stitches back to the left needle and k2tog through back loops, k1,* and repeat between the *s across. It says that this cast-off should be knit loosely enough that edge stitches naturally scallop (I assume before blocking.)

I used fingering wt yarn (Knit Picks Gloss - silk and merino blend) and a US #7 needle to knit this lace shawl. I am thinking that I need to use a US #8 to do the cast-off row to insure that I knit loosely enough.

What do you think? Please let me know, as I am anxious to proceed, but also don't want to mess this up.

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
dschmidt Posted - 09/30/2008 : 8:26:18 PM
Thanks everyone, the K2tog BO worked great!

Donna in VA

fiddlerbird555 Posted - 09/30/2008 : 08:41:58 AM

FWIW, I've had best results so far with a "garter stitch border". You knit 3 stitches along, with the 3rd stitch being k2tog, then turn around, knit 3 stitches back, turn and do the same thing. The top of the top more closely resembles a side selvage, and there are no tension issues, because you're just knitting like anything else until the last 3 stitches.

I don't remember if you want to slip the first stitch on the edge (as I usually do for garter stitch selvage) or not.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
dschmidt Posted - 09/30/2008 : 05:48:07 AM
socks4all,
I think the second one with a larger needle will do it. I'm making a shrug and the ribbing has to really stretch. I've frog back once, and went up a needle size and BO really loosely but it still didn't seem loose enough. Thanks

Donna in VA

socks4all Posted - 09/30/2008 : 04:29:56 AM
Tubular bind off for 1x1 rib is stretchy. If you need loose, then the knit bind off or whetever it is called when you knit 2 tog, put that st back on the left needle and knit 2 tog. Another, similar is knit 2 tog, put that st back on the left needle. Knit 1, put that st on the left needle and knit 2 tog. This gives the effect of a chain 1 st between each knit 2 tog. This can also be done simpler with a crochet hook.
Kade1301 Posted - 09/30/2008 : 02:20:54 AM
For 1/1 ribbing (or, with some adaptation, 2/2) in my experience, tubular - if worked loosely enough. Or, for lacy items, no bind-off at all but a border knitted on at right angles to the body of the knitting.

Or, changing the direction of the knitting so the bind-off becomes the cast-on (I find tubular cast-on less painful than tubular bind-off).

What exactly do you want to do?

Happy knitting, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
MindyO Posted - 09/29/2008 : 9:00:06 PM
Thats a darn good question.... I've used a sewn bind off for 1x1 rib on my socks (wearing them now) it was stretchy enough, but a PITA if you need to undo it for any reason.
I would like to see other options as well. I've tried several others recommended and really had no luck so far.

My Flickr pics
Ravelry: MindyO

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe