Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Help! Larger back than front..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Amarula Posted - 09/28/2008 : 7:35:57 PM
A friend asked me to help her with her sweater. She's already finished most of the back and front, but wanted help with decreasing and binding off. However, in looking at it, I found that there were more stitches in the back than the front. The pattern calls for 96 stitches (gauge 4 sts/in) in the size she's working. But she has 98 stitches in the front - and 108 in the back. No obvious adds/decreases, so it looks like she cast on with the wrong number (both times).

She's very much against ripping back and redoing the back, so I'm trying to figure out whether we can make this work. I figure the two extra stitches on the front aren't a problem - we'll slide one extra into each shoulder. But for the back? Even with a stitch extra in the shoulders, we'll end up with 10 stitches extra in the middle of the back neck.. The pattern is a crewneck. How much trouble do you think this will cause, and do you have any suggestions for fixing this??!!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Amarula Posted - 10/02/2008 : 4:20:35 PM
I've never tried steeking myself - I'm hesitating to try it out on someone else's knitting for the first time! Sigh.. let me see how she's taking it with time to think about it.
purlewe Posted - 10/02/2008 : 10:18:08 AM
I had a friend who lost alot of weight and this is what she did.

Her front was about right on (much like your friend) but her back was knit to 2 sized larger. she ripped back to the armholes and re-knit them in the small size and then we steeked the edges off on the sides.

it worked for my friend.. maybe it will work for yours.

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
flicka Posted - 10/01/2008 : 10:04:09 AM
Well, if your friend doesn't want to frog and re-knit, what about steeking the smaller piece and turning it into a cardigan?

flicka
Amarula Posted - 09/30/2008 : 7:31:21 PM
Well, I'm going to talk to her and see if she can face ripping back a little better with a few days to think about it. The sweater is for a man, however - of course, they also may need a little more fabric in front?!
llinn Posted - 09/30/2008 : 1:04:38 PM
Just get her to pull the front and back down to the beginning of the neck shaping. Make the back into the front and the front into the back. That puts the extra fabric in the front (where most females actually can use it). Make the extra stitches (mostly) go into the front neckline, but put some into each shoulder ( like 3 for one shoulder, 6 for the neck, and 3 for the other shoulder) and then dec to match the back shoulder counts.

Then finish as the pattern dictates, allowing for extra pickups in neckline.

Then, she might have a little bigger sweater than she intended, but it will still LOOK fine if a little baggy.

Remind her to count next time, but explain most things can be fudged.

Llinn
Sticks and String Posted - 09/29/2008 : 08:20:06 AM
Well, she might have another choice. If she's flat-out against ripping out then she'll have to knit the sweater again making fronts to match the back that's too big and a back to match the fronts she already has, sleeves to match each and she now has two sweaters.

>shrug<

Jo
fiberlicious Posted - 09/29/2008 : 07:05:55 AM
Tell her she has two choices: She can have a useless pile of knitted fabric, or she can rip back some and fix it. Why would she want to waste all the time and effort she's already put into the sweater by not fixing it correctly?

Also note - she may not have casted on an incorrect number of stitches. Many new knitters accidentally increase by using the big loop at the end of a row as a stitch, instead of recognizing it as the stitch in the prior row.
purlthis Posted - 09/29/2008 : 06:12:29 AM
She is just going to have to tear out. It's not fun, but it's not going to drape/hang right with it out of balance.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe