Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Results of felting spree

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 02/03/2009 : 11:03:49 AM
I felted pieces knitted with three different yarns (basically one yarn type per piece):

Aruacania Chunky is FABULOUS! Felted in 18 minutes. I am going to investigate this yarn more. Thankfully it is obtainable locally (I live in Denver CO). I sewed on a longways knitted strip in Lamb's Pride Worsted which didn't felt as well, but I actually wanted to see the purl bumps on the strip, anyway, so it's fine. Which brings me to:

Lamb's Pride Worsted still takes forever (this has been virtually the only yarn I've felted, a stance which is about to change!), up to 45 minutes, depending on the project. I used size 10.5 needles US and gauge before washing was 4 sts/in. I'm thinking that using a larger needle size will significantly reduce the wash time. And ha! I have two more projects I can knit right away on size 11 and size 13 needles to test this out. If washing still takes forever, maybe an overnight soak beforehand will help.

Noro Kureyon was another long-time felter at 45 minutes. The stitches still show some, but it looks okay. Maybe I'll toss that back in the wash with the next batch of felting goods.

Anyone have experience felting Noro Silk Garden? (regular weight)

Please feel free to add your own discoveries on the above yarns and more.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 02/05/2009 : 10:22:36 AM
The thing about felting is that you have to wash the fabric to figure out a gauge! I bought Beverly Galaskas' book about four months ago and she mentions making a small bag for your swatch so you have something usable when felting is done. The bags are giving me some more ideas. See her book for more. By making the bag "swatches" to the same specs every time, it's easy to see how various yarns respond.

I'm almost done with a purse, using Brown Sheep LP Worsted and US size 11 needles. Correction: I have washed the finished purse, which felted in 21 minutes! My gauge was 3.5 sts/in. (it was 4 using US size 10.5). Although I don't knit very tightly, it seems a more open fabric helps with "felting green." Lesson learned on needle sizes for my personal knitting style.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
2totangle Posted - 02/04/2009 : 09:19:15 AM
Thanks for sharing your info, Ceil. I've felted Noro Silk Garden knit together with Cascade 220 for Eva Weichmann's Vintage Bubble Bag, and I recall having to throw it back in a couple of times (I didn't record the total time). However, I was completely in love with the look of it after felting -- the colors melted together in a gorgeous way that wasn't captured by the photos I took.

Suzanne

Flick pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
jtamsn Posted - 02/04/2009 : 04:48:53 AM
I'm a Lambs Pride worsted fan. I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes and it felted well, but much more than I anticipated....sure couldnt give the mittens to my brother! I felt in the washer, so dont have as much control as those who dont.
judy
mertle Posted - 02/04/2009 : 01:33:06 AM
Oh yeah, Patons Classic! My favorite felter. I use 2 strands and a US15 needle. Mindy's right about the rate of shrinkage. And it's so thick a lining isn't required - a big plus in my book. Galway is another quickie. I often mix them.

An interesting texture is achieved by doing a mosaic pattern with Patons for one color and a slow felter for the other.

Cascade 220? Not for me. Too much stitch def, too slow. Patons & Galway (& some vintage Brunswick Germantown made here in SC - slower felter) do the job for me.

Marilyn
My Bags
MindyO Posted - 02/03/2009 : 10:23:39 PM
I haven't used any of those, but I have used Patons Classic wool, you want a fast and furious felter? Try that. but definitely overestimate the before felting size, in my experience I lost about 50% height and 40% width, but it gets thick and not fuzzy, and it happens in literally about 5 minutes. Had a slightly nubbly texture, but no stitch definition at all. I liked it, just wish I would have swatched to know it was going to shrink that much

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe