Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 errata posted for Sock Innovation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GFTC Posted - 04/10/2009 : 1:50:37 PM
http://www.interweave.com/corrections/Sock-Innovation.asp

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelly B Posted - 09/18/2010 : 06:23:39 AM
I took out a knitting book from the library that had an envelope containing errata pages taped to the inside front cover. I'd guess that was done with permission from a librarian. Blessings on whoever did that.

My pictures
Woollymama Posted - 09/09/2010 : 3:21:22 PM
Thanks, Kathy--that's what I wanted to hear. I just got the book from the library. It appears to be the fourth printing, but unfortunately still had many of the mistakes listed in the latest errata sheet.

I have no qualms about writing in a library book--I penciled in the corrections neatly in black pencil, thinking future borrowers would be grateful for the help. However, I couldn't easily indicate chart fixes.

Because I think the patterns are outstanding, and the techniques section really helpful too, I'm going to buy the book, praying that by now the publisher will have fixed the errors (I assume the library edition is a year or so older than the current edition/printing on sale). I wish Cookie A would sell her patterns individually on Ravelry --that way she can keep a closer eye on accuracy. I've worked in book publishing for 30 years, and know the many and varied ways errors can creep in. However, if the publisher wants to spend the time and money, he/she can ensure that errors are kept to a minimum or at least corrected ASAP in future printings.

I'm so fed up with the sloppiness of many knitting books that I usually get them from the library and copy patterns. Some people may object to this but I'm darned if I'm going to shell out good money for poor quality. [deep breath--calms down]

Okay--I'm really looking forward to trying some of these socks--there are so many great patterns I don't know which to do first!

woollymama
KathyR Posted - 08/29/2010 : 3:37:00 PM
I bought Cookie A's Sock Innovation at Interweave's latest hurt book sale. There is no mention in the book of it being a second printing but I have been through the errata list and my copy appears to have been printed correctly. Obviously, as the book is reprinted, errors are corrected. No excuse for having them in the first place, though, I agree.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
dschmidt Posted - 08/29/2010 : 04:53:51 AM
FYI There are 13 errata now.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Marie Posted - 08/29/2010 : 03:42:33 AM
The way that works best for me is to go through errata on the computer with book in hand, and annotate each pattern with "see errata" next to its name. Otherwise, I found I was printing errata for patterns I would probably never make, wasting time and paper and ink.

By just marking them as flawed patterns, it provides the "red flag" I need to remember to check online--it slows me down if I am starting a spur-of-the-moment project and don't have a computer handy, but considering how many spur-of-the-moment projects I have a habit of starting, maybe that's a good thing.
Margie Posted - 08/28/2010 : 5:34:49 PM
How do I fix patterns?? Sometimes I print out the corrected version and once or twice I've written in the book when it was a small mistake.

That was hard for me to do -- write in a book -- as I was brought up with such respect for books. And I work at a library. Finally I convinced myself, "Hey, it's my own book. It's all right to write in it."

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

doonya Posted - 10/19/2009 : 12:52:04 PM
"Not writing in books can be traced back to my childhood (I'm 51). Schoolbooks and library books were on loan only and not to be defaced. I was an obedient child. I also love reading and books and have always tried to keep them pristine, especially those I received for birthdays and Christmas. We had everything we needed as children but not a lot of extras. We tried to take care of everything we did have. It wasn't until later in life, in undergraduate and graduate school that I finally broke down and wrote in books as they were deemed outdated as soon as the semester was over. I've only started considering writing in the corrections for some of my knitting books. Others I will print out and keep in the book. I acknowledge this is a hangup of mine. It also makes me crazy when DH folds over the page to mark his place. I try to keep extra bookmarks handy."

Hi,
I was taught exactly the same thing. But now I look at things a little differently. If you make a knitted gift for someone and see it 5 years later .... which would you rather see: The item in pristine condition, wrapped in tissue paper and lovingly tucked into a drawer .... or ... the item all worn and perhaps patched, pilled and obviously very frequently used? I'll take the latter .... and I feel the same way about my knitting books. I take good care of them but I do write all over them and anyone can tell they are used and used and used. :) Proves their worth.
Obviously, I would never write in a book if it happened to be rare and or irreplaceable .... or if it belonged to someone else! :) But my knitting books, oh yes indeed.

doonya
Pink Knittiac Posted - 05/05/2009 : 1:56:19 PM
I'm appalled at the number of corrections that must be made to the text and charts. I bought the book to give as a gift (plus one copy for myself), but now both copies are going to stay in my bookshelf. I would feel ashamed to give a gift book to someone -- with a printout of ten pages of corrections! I will not buy another book from Interweave until long after its release so that I can check on the number of errors.

Nerak
cpknits Posted - 04/21/2009 : 09:55:36 AM
I'm in the process of scribbling throughout the book, very liberating. I'm also saving my printer/ink. Thanks again for the topic.

Carol, Wisconsin
technikat Posted - 04/20/2009 : 1:20:35 PM
Carol, I can relate to that. As a child our schoolbooks were rented and, of course, library books are not to be defaced. Turned down book corners offend me, but when the book is mine and needs to be corrected, I do. I think there's no point in having a pristine, error filled book of directions.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
cpknits Posted - 04/19/2009 : 5:41:27 PM
Not writing in books can be traced back to my childhood (I'm 51). Schoolbooks and library books were on loan only and not to be defaced. I was an obedient child. I also love reading and books and have always tried to keep them pristine, especially those I received for birthdays and Christmas. We had everything we needed as children but not a lot of extras. We tried to take care of everything we did have. It wasn't until later in life, in undergraduate and graduate school that I finally broke down and wrote in books as they were deemed outdated as soon as the semester was over. I've only started considering writing in the corrections for some of my knitting books. Others I will print out and keep in the book. I acknowledge this is a hangup of mine. It also makes me crazy when DH folds over the page to mark his place. I try to keep extra bookmarks handy.

Carol, Wisconsin
technikat Posted - 04/18/2009 : 9:18:25 PM
Why wouldn't you write the corrections in the book, especially minor corrections. Major ones may be difficult to write in and I would indicate on the page that corrections are on a sheet at the back of the book. There's nothing sacred about a book, especially if the info it contains is incorrect.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
GFTC Posted - 04/18/2009 : 4:30:52 PM
please note: these comments are about knitting books & publishers in general, NOT THE COOKIE BOOK alone. If you read the Yarn Harlot this week she was complaining that even the errata has mistakes on the pattern she is making from a knitting magazine.

I've been thinking about this errata situation, not just on this book but on all the new knitting books that come out. I used to avoid buying the book until the second printing hoping that the corrections would be made.

With business in general the way it is, however, if it's a book that I positively know I will want to own I am hesitant to wait. There is no guarantee that there will be a second printing or that the publisher won't be bought by a bigger company with bigger printing minimums and I don't want to be chasing down the book on ebay.

But I have to say that a book that has 15 patterns and 9 have immediate errata constitutes 60% of the book being "defective." I just read on Ravelry that more misprints have been identified. **

If there is a second, corrected printing I really think the consumer should be entitled to exchange the defective book for a first quality one from the second printing.

I bought the Cookie book at 40% off at Knitpicks so I will dutifully print out the errata and put it in the book and keep my mouth shut and be happy that I own the book. Had I bought it full price at Barnes & Noble or Borders or LYS I might feel differently.

**As seen on Ravelry:
this was an error and the official correction will be:

Bottom of first column on page 120. Replace “Work Set-up chart for 1 rnd” with “NEXT RND: K2, p2, work Pattern chart row 2 5 times, p2.”

The set-up rnd replaces row 1 of the chart for the first repeat only. This will be posted online as soon as possible.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
cpknits Posted - 04/18/2009 : 4:10:04 PM
Thank you for posting this. I just started the Eunice socks. I didn't think there would be errata posted so soon. Now, my usual rant. Having proofed published financial statements for decades, I know it isn't that hard. One person reads out loud (spaces, periods, etc..), the other reviews the page. At the risk of sounding snobby, they choose not to. I realize the profit margin may not be that high on the books but my $ is as important to me as it is to them. I've taken to writing the changes right in the book if there are not too many and if it is a book that I don't think will be donated to a library one day.

Carol, Wisconsin
SeeJaneKnit Posted - 04/14/2009 : 04:21:51 AM
I wonder too. Out of 15 patterns, 9 have errors. And how is it that the errata for both Handpainted Socks and Sock Innovation were available so soon after the books were released? Can people who have bought the books be notifying the publishers so quickly? Or is it that they know about the errors before they're released? How does that work?
marjotse Posted - 04/14/2009 : 04:08:59 AM
Well it is a shame that both sock books (this one and the Knitting Socks with Hand-painted Yarn) published by Interweave have so many errors. Both books are great books but i wonder if it is a coincidence or....
I have saved all the errors to my disk but I guess that writing in pencil in the books will be best since I find it so easy to forget which pattern had errors...

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
www.ravelry.com/projects/marjotse
Shelia Posted - 04/12/2009 : 08:23:05 AM
It is a relatively recent development in publishing during the last 18 months or so, probably linked to the economy. It's especially ironic in that many authors are finding errors that weren't in what they actually sent to the publishers so were typos and errors in the set-up and printng of the charts, diagrams, and captions.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
anderknit Posted - 04/11/2009 : 4:40:06 PM
Sheila - That has not been my experience thusfar, but I'll be sure to look out for it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Shelia Posted - 04/11/2009 : 3:11:14 PM
Just a cautionary note - because of the cost of re-typesetting, or whatever they call page set-up for books these days, some publishers are not correcting the patterns with known errata for the second printing. Waiting may not ensure that you get an error-free book.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Sticks and String Posted - 04/11/2009 : 10:29:39 AM
I don't worry 'til I'm about to knit the pattern. Then I do as above...post-it note for a small fix and print the page, put it in the book for large fixes. I usually print a copy of the pattern to carry around and I'm happy to write all over these copies but I won't write in a book. I tend not to buy first printings either because of the potential for "bugs".

Jo

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe