Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 MDS&W -- Do Tell!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jane Posted - 05/03/2009 : 05:39:02 AM
Did you go? Was it wet? Cold? Was it crowded? Did you have fun anyway?

And most important: What did you see that inspired you, and what did you decide to bring home with you?

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lynnek Posted - 05/09/2009 : 1:14:38 PM
AMEN, Sister!javascript:insertsmilie('')
Shelia Posted - 05/08/2009 : 09:06:46 AM
Oh, yes, we love Rhinebeck too! Really, I have to admit that I like the NYSW a bit better than Maryland, the weather is usually crisp and perfect for sweaters and shawls, and the trees are changing color - lovely!

I was excited to be able to visit the sheep barns this year at MDSW, usually I am pretty much "chained" to Jen's (Spirit Trail Fiberworks) booth and only see some of the other vendors in the Main building. Because of help and breaks from Beth, Lanea and Lisa, I had some lovely conversations with various sheep and their owners, and picked up some new halters for my own sheep. I also had a nice visit with Barbara at Stony Mountain and Dave of Merlin Tree, both of whom are in vendor barns.

Anyone pick up some Maryland merchandise? We set up and were finished in time to shop the festival goodies on Friday afternoon (vendors only, so the line doesn't actually go out of the building as it does on Saturday). I loved the canvas sling bags and the nightshirt, and got another fleece vest as well. You can't have too many fleece vests, they're practically a uniform out here in OR!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
letsknit2gether Posted - 05/07/2009 : 12:47:47 PM
Although Maryland Sheep & Wool is a large festival, I believe NYS Sheep & Wool in Rhinebeck is usually larger in scale and attendance, especially for knitters.
CatherineM Posted - 05/05/2009 : 6:42:58 PM
I went only once before, in 2005, and that whole crazy "Woolstock" atmosphere felt the same to me. On Saturday many booths were too packed to enter, lines for food and restrooms were scary. We got there at 9 and were still parked halfway to East Jesus. The weather on Sunday was so AWFUL any sane person would have stayed home, and it was still busy.

And tomorrow I am back to The Office. I will see your sigh and raise you a slumped shoulders and groan.

Catherine
http://yorkiedog.blogspot.com
BessH Posted - 05/05/2009 : 6:01:32 PM
I was there - and I've made two posts on my blog about it, the second one more heavily laced with potographs.

I think the crowds were down from a few years ago, but the two booth owners I know well enough to ask said they were doing well. I spent about the same as I have in years past - just all in one huge lump. I bought a sweater kit from shelridge farms.

What surprised me was how many cars were in the parking lot on Sunday. Saturday was really a rather good day to go to the fair - cool, high clouds, breezes now and then. sunday it was wet, or rainy, or pouring, depending on when you were outside. But lots of folk showed up anyway.

sigh. I wish it were this time last week and it all lay ahead of me.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Amarula Posted - 05/04/2009 : 06:21:37 AM
I was there on Sunday - I agree, the weather was pretty terrible, and the ground quite muddy. But who cares? - there was yarn! I was slightly handicapped - we brought my 6 year old niece with us, and she was not nearly as interested in the yarn! (We did, however, spend much more time in the sheep barns than I've ever done before!) I was also trying to be restrained in my yarn purchases, and I managed that. (A few stray sock skeins may have leapt into my bag, but sock yarn isn't stash, right?!) Sorry to have missed you, Lanea - but I saw your bags in the Spirit Trail booth!
Lanea Posted - 05/04/2009 : 05:43:33 AM
I was there all weekend and had a wonderful time. My friend Lisa and I pitched in during set up for a while at Spirit Trail on Friday afternoon and then had a great dinner with Martha, Jen, and Shelia. Saturday and Sunday we worked in our friend Mary's booth Tuatha, sang, danced, shopped a bit, listened to great tunes, and saw lots and lots of friends. We had another great dinner Saturday night with everyone from Tuatha, Spirit Trail, and Carolina Homespun, and then slept like the dead. The weather on Sunday was abysmal, but it did clear in time for vendors to pack up. I didn't see as many people as usual, but was very happy to be able to spend time with Lou, Terri, Eva, and so many other friends.

My big purchase was a beautiful piece of stained glass for my kitchen window. I also got some wonderful yarn and fiber from Spirit Trail, an amazing handmade Peruvian handbag, some needles, and a very cool white coral necklace.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
peggy35 Posted - 05/04/2009 : 05:38:13 AM
I attended on Saturday, and had a great time. I thought the early hours were less crowded than last year. It showered some early on, and the temperatures were better. The festival entries, sweaters, woven items, and spun yarns were particularly stunning this year. How I wish we were allowed to touch! Overall, I thought there was a particularly nice array of hand-dyed yarns available. And quite a variety of different fibers.
CatherineM Posted - 05/03/2009 : 6:45:25 PM
Saturday was overcast but barely a drizzle of rain and comfy temperature. It was PACKED. I was told last year was worse but you can't prove it by me; to me it looked like Disney World on a holiday week. Huge crowd and lots of buyers - at least judging by the lines at the major booths; I can't speak to whether the dollars spent were the same as in years past, but people certainly did show up to buy. We got there around 9 and stayed until closing; it was still hopping when the announcement for closing came. Nearly every both was packed; Spirit Trail was so hectic, there was barely time for quick hugs and hellos. The sheepdog trials were a lot of fun, and many sheep closeups were photographed. It was great.

Today the weather was absolutely filthy and we thought we'd have the place to ourselves; the crowds weren't like Saturday but it was still remarkably busy, squelching through ankle deep mud in torrential rain. We did at least get to chat briefly with Marfa and Sheila and Jennifer. I left at 12:30 to head for the airport - I changed my shoes when I got there, to make it easier to get through airport screening, and am debating about throwing out MDSW shoes. I brought shoes that could "take one for the team" just in case. I think they gave their all this weekend.

I was sort of surprised that there was so little chatter about it on KR; I finally got to go again after a few years' hiatus (due to recurring bouts of DRAMA) and KR was absent!

Catherine
http://yorkiedog.blogspot.com
LJ Posted - 05/03/2009 : 2:05:29 PM
By the time our bus arrived the last of the rain was moving out. Just a bit of mud around some of the outside tents that did not stop the shopping!

I finally broke down and purchased a shawl kit from Hunt Valley Cashmere. I've looked at them every year and would walk away. But not this year!

That's it. I had a great time seeing almost everything. No way to fit it all in.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
knittingrunner Posted - 05/03/2009 : 12:18:25 PM
We went, we saw, we bought, albeit with restraint.
Sat was pleasantly cool and cloudy, just a bit muddy underfoot.
Drove back to VA today-imagine last night's and this morning's rain made things pretty slick for today.
Seemed like more rovings and spinning things than straight-up yarn. Maybe it was because I could see more this year compared to last year b/c there were fewer folks onsite.
The sheepdog trials were well attended.
Were the fried artichokes there this year?! We looked really hard but couldn't find them!

Naps can always be improved by adding a cat.
thdx3 Posted - 05/03/2009 : 10:06:47 AM
I went yesterday in the interest of stimulating the economy, had an excellent time. The weather was fine; by the time our bus arrived from NYC the sprinkles had stopped and it was overcast and cool, if a bit muddy. Did seem a bit less crowded than usual. Ran into many friends, including our own crazylanea, Martha, Shelia and Jen at Spirit Trail, where I couldn't resist picking up a skein of Ixchel Alpaca although I had pretty much blown my budget within the first 10 minutes of my arrival at Brooks Farm. Some pics are here (mostly Ravelry Meet-up related; I was too busy stroking at Spirit Trail to snap).

Terri D. yarn hungover in NYC

off jumps jack
anderknit Posted - 05/03/2009 : 08:17:27 AM
Don't know what's going on with MDSW, but I will note that yesterday wasn't too bad a weather day down here - gray but mostly dry. On the other hand,today is pretty miserable - quite rainy and gray.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
GFTC Posted - 05/03/2009 : 07:48:05 AM
Yesterday I posted this same question on the KR group on Ravelry and nobody answered there either.

Is it possible that they gave a festival and nobody came?

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe