Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Swap
 alpaca fiber/ handspinning

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JohnNY Posted - 05/04/2009 : 06:23:16 AM
I just found this forum, and I am very impressed with the amount of information to be had here! I found this forum in my quest to solve a "problem" I have(though a good "problem" it is). I own some alpacas and they have just been shorn. I now have quite a number of fleeces. Crazy thing is... I do not spin or knit(I'm good at raising them(which means I can shovel poop well).

QUESTIONS:

Would there be handspinners that would trade their spinning of some of my fleece into yarn for some of my alpaca fleece?

What would be a fair amount of fleece to trade in this exchange?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

John
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hotzcatz Posted - 03/19/2012 : 3:40:42 PM
If you would be willing to mail the fleece there is a fellow here (Big Island, Hawaii) who spins in exchange for fiber. He's working with one of the few alpaca folks on the island and she's only got a half dozen alpaca so he's probably looking for some more fleece. I think she pays him $8 an ounce to have the fleece spun up and they also have some sort of fiber/spin swap trade thing going on as well.
JohnNY Posted - 05/05/2009 : 08:49:28 AM
Thank you Meribeth and Jen for your replies.

I understand that "time" is often an issue in regards to MANY things. But I know that some hand spinners BUY alpaca fleece to spin ( ), so I thought maybe some might trade some of their TIME for alpaca fleece instead of trading CASH.

We've been raising alpacas for quite some time and own over 50. We have had yarn made at many small mills in the past. I had hoped to add hand spun yarn to my palette of offerings, and thought this could be a win/win for both parties.

I will look into some of the local (and maybe even not-so-local) guilds. Thank you for the suggestion.

But, if you could, please indulge my second question:

"What would be a fair amount of fleece to trade in this exchange?"

Thanks again.

Is there anyone else who may have some other thoughts?

John
Chemcats Posted - 05/04/2009 : 10:52:33 AM
John, i would love to spin your fleeces but Like Jen said, no time. And it breaks my heart because I love spinning alpaca.

You may want to contact some spinning guilds in your area, they may be interested. And local, small fiber processing mills are setting up all over. There is an alpaca farm not far from me that sends their fleeces out to have the processed and spun, then sells the yarn on their web site. http://www.thistledownalpacas.com/ Or you could just sell the roving after processing. Another way to sell you fleeces is to join Ravelry and sell or works something out there..but that is a long shot. I have seen them for sale. I'd hate to see that lovely fiber go to waste!

Meribeth
eepster Posted - 05/04/2009 : 07:45:51 AM
We once had a long debate over this, and the general feeling was no most of the time. Though I felt it greatly depended on the quality of the fleece vs. the quality of the spinning. A new spinner might take you up on such an offer, but what you get back might not be what you were expecting. Most of us experienced spinners have more fleece than time to spin. There are many small commercial spinning mills who will do it for a fee, and some hand spinners as well.

If I were you, I'd find a nearby fiber fair, where you could take you fleeces. I'd sell all but 3 or 4 of them, and take a spinning lesson while there. Spinning is wonderfully relaxing. There are few things I enjoy more than sitting at my wheel with a cup of cocoa and some nice music or an amusing show as back ground noise.

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
Cafepress designers on strike,
Boycott Cafepress

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?