Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Alchemy Juniper

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 05/20/2009 : 6:38:09 PM
Knitters have been asking Alchemy to produce a sock yarn for years. When Gina Wilde finally did introduce the superwash Merino sock yarn Juniper at TNNA this January, the buzz was quiet—not necessarily because of the yarn, but likely because of the show itself.

Gina Wilde is the creative spark behind Alchemy Yarns of Transformation. A musician, sculptor, dancer, and performance artist, she is also an extraordinarily gifted colorist who is very exacting about her canvas. She spares no expense in seeking the right yarn, sometimes working years with a hand-picked mill until the twist and ply and fiber blend are just right. Which may explain why this is not your average sock yarn.

...full review

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
thl Posted - 07/07/2009 : 9:21:01 PM
I have just been trying out this yarn, and am happy to learn about its construction. The only thing I have to disagree with is that sock yarn should always be put up in 100(+)g skeins - I think it's quite acceptable to buy two 50g skeins. On the other hand, I do agree with other knitters that $32 is a lot to swallow for a pair of socks.
minh Posted - 06/03/2009 : 6:38:59 PM
Whitney posted a free pattern for lace anklets made out of Juniper on the Purl Bee blog:

http://www.purlbee.com/lace-anklets/
Mocha Posted - 05/22/2009 : 01:19:19 AM

I can't believe I clicked on this.. now I have to learn to erase my memory.. They are just too tempting plus Clara's review. (oh, did you see the colour? They look like begging me to bring them home)

Thank you both Clara & Shaggy.

quote:
Originally posted by shaggy

KC, Maybe they have it on their site just for me.

http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/yarndetail/5439

Thanks Clara, I will be ordering this soon.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

shar1ford Posted - 05/21/2009 : 10:53:51 AM
I would love to try this yarn but socks pricing at $32 (two skeins at $16) are out of my league. Looks really pretty though.

Sharon L. Ford
FluffyKnitterDeb Posted - 05/21/2009 : 09:28:12 AM
As a self professed sock yarn addict I frankly don't care how pretty the yarn is, I'm NOT gonna be paying $32 to knit a pair of socks, especially when there is so much gorgeous yarn out there at a more reasonable price.

I find it pretty shocking that in this economy of scaling back, a "basic" sock would cost $32!

Fluffy Knitters are well rounded :)
Read my blog at http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com
shaggy Posted - 05/21/2009 : 08:54:33 AM
KC, Maybe they have it on their site just for me.

http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/yarndetail/5439

Thanks Clara, I will be ordering this soon.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

kcknitnut Posted - 05/21/2009 : 08:25:44 AM
Just checked the PurlSoho website and they do not have "Junipur" yarn posted.

KC
bonnebonne Posted - 05/21/2009 : 08:13:34 AM
Help! Clara, I've just scoured the entire Alchemy site for a price on this wonder yarn, but no luck. at 232 yds/skein, we will need to buy 2, so I need to know what I'm signing up for here. Can you help? It does indeed sound like great yarn. thanks,

Bonnie
new compared to you
but avid
roselady35 Posted - 05/21/2009 : 04:18:48 AM
I agree with Clara's comments about the yardage and skeins. I have had, and have read of others having, the experience of wide variations in color between skeins purporting to come from the same dyelot. The first time this happened to me, I made the socks anyway...one light, one darker. The second time, I sent it back, vowing that I would only buy large skeins from now on. I hope Gina will decide to change her skein size.
MindyO Posted - 05/21/2009 : 12:38:28 AM
Thanks for another great (and enabling) review. I have run across a lot more of these small sock skeins lately. I like to use them for footies that stop at the ankle. Super quick to knit, one skein only for two socks. Even on my size 11s I have a decent amount left over, probably enough for about a 2-3 inch cuff.
I do have to say I miss the close up shots of the knitted fabrics on this weeks review

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
minh Posted - 05/20/2009 : 7:36:52 PM
Thanks for the review Clara!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Juniper in the wild yet (maybe at Purl during a NYC trip this summer?) -- considering that we need 2 skeins for a pair of adult socks, I would really like to choose the color in person rather than online.

Gina Wilde is releasing a new book, maybe it will have some projects knitted with that yarn...?

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe