Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Spud & Chloe

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 06/24/2009 : 6:22:28 PM
The latest TNNA was so Twittered and blogged that I decided to skip my usual generic show wrap-up and focus on what was making the biggest news - starting with the launch of Spud & Chloe, which is profiled this week.

Blue Sky Alpacas was the belle of the ball at the most recent TNNA. The company cleverly did an end-run around any confusion that may exist about its name, which leads many to believe it only sells alpaca yarns.

The company got its start as an importer of luxury alpaca yarns, and then expanded its offerings to include cotton. But still, that pesky word "alpaca" remained. Some customers just couldn't wrap their brains around any other kind of yarn coming from this company.

... read the full report

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PamelaB Posted - 06/03/2011 : 03:45:00 AM
I have only used the Sweater weight, washed by hand, and had no issues. I do have more for another baby sweater and hope your experience is unusual because I imagine moms will want to machine wash.

I have read that the bulky weight does pill but I have no direct experience.

Pamela
minh Posted - 06/01/2011 : 7:17:40 PM
I've knitted with the "Sweater" yarn several times now and always for baby presents. Up until now, I've washed the finished items by hand before giving them away and was quite happy. This weekend, I washed several items knitted out of "Sweater" in the washing machine with cold water as specified on the care label. There was much more pilling than when washing by hand (not surprisingly) so I will steer away from stockinette from now on. Has anyone else noticed this?

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
carolbeech Posted - 12/18/2009 : 5:56:37 PM
Their patterns are very cute!

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
minh Posted - 12/17/2009 : 7:38:06 PM
Woohoo! A preview of the 2010 patterns and new colors is on the Spud and Chloe blog:

Pattern preview
New colors
minh Posted - 06/30/2009 : 7:15:55 PM
I received my order of Spud and Chloe "fine" and "sweater" from kpixie. I've never been a big fan of knitting with a cotton-based yarn before but "sweater" is so soft and squishy that I'm reconsidering.
technikat Posted - 06/25/2009 : 8:14:05 PM
I just got an email from my LYS Knitche that they have the yarn.
I'm looking forward to the wool/silk blend, although the cotton/wool
sounds good too.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
minh Posted - 06/25/2009 : 6:01:10 PM
I've been very excited reading about this new yarn brand through Clara's review and some of the designers' blog. The patterns are adorable and it's great to have a superwash yarn made with natural yarns. I'm off to order some Spud and Chloe fine!
tammijo@mac.com Posted - 06/25/2009 : 4:02:36 PM
I love the packaging and branding of this new yarn. I love many of the other yarns from Blue Sky Alpaca so I am looking forward to trying these.

I applaud their use of organic fibers! I go out of my way to use organically grown cotton and wool. My only caveat is this - I'd like more information on the superwash process. I was led to believe it is a harsh chemical process that burns away the cuticle of the yarn so that it won't felt with agitation and that the disposal industrial use of said chemicals is harmful. Obviously Blue Sky is not the only one making superwash wool, but is there a way to make superwash wool that won't harm makers and users of the product and the environment and won't negate the environmental advantages of using organic cotton and wool?
pmcgrath Posted - 06/25/2009 : 07:05:08 AM
Great information on the new yarn Spud & Chloe. Will have to find a pattern and try it out
Jane Posted - 06/25/2009 : 04:11:06 AM
I ordered some Fine from Loop last night -- that blue is beautiful, and I can't wait to see if it will become socks or a small shawl. I've enjoyed working with Blue Sky yarn in the past. Thanks for the reviews, Clara!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
marjotse Posted - 06/25/2009 : 02:27:00 AM
I am actually really looking forward to the worsted wool-cotton yarn. I love Blue Skies Alpaca yarn and their cotton is so great. I also really like wool-cotton blends so this sounds the perfect yarn to me. I will be in New York for work at the end of July and this is the yarn I hope to take back to Sweden....

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
www.ravelry.com/projects/marjotse
LJ Posted - 06/24/2009 : 8:40:51 PM
Well I have to admit, my brain went to "first corn and milk, now potatoes". Sounds interesting. I'll have to hunt for a LYS that carrys it. Unless I can convence Bobbie to carry it in her online store...hmmm.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
shaggy Posted - 06/24/2009 : 7:22:44 PM
Thanks Clara for the heads up on the yarn, I am interested in trying
the lace.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

GFTC Posted - 06/24/2009 : 7:05:24 PM
Sounds great! My LYS, Purl, has it and sent out an email about it the other day. Now that Clara has given it street cred I'll have to go to Soho and take a peek & a feel. I love the idea of a wool/cotton washable blend.

It's nice to have some new yarn available in the stores instead of just from the indie dyers.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe